ABSA Banking Rant - Should I change banks?

ArchieChoke

Might be in the wrong section. Move if incorrect.

I have been an absa client since I started working back in 2004 and never thought there would be a day that I would be thinking of moving banks. I believe if something isnt giving you hassles you dont change/fix, now its happening I'm considering changing.

Short story:-

Wanted to purchase a Headphones for a clan member about 11 months ago, go to ZAPs and find the headset and proceed to check out, only to be stopped at ABSA's 3D secure. First time I have ever seen this, so phone absa get the 3D secure setup, cool purchase complete goods received.

Few months down the line ,tenants move out, I move in, we have pre-paid electricity, so I proceed to use EasyPay to purchase electricity only to be hit again by 3D secure. So the idea is you enter your card info and they send you an SMS. This is where the problem I have with absa, their sms system does not work, there has been many times where I login to the banking and dont get a notification sms to say I have logged on, most the times I dont get smses if I do a debit purchase at the counter, so this goes in hand with 3D secure, I dont get the sms's at all.

I have phoned them 4 times now resetting my 3D secure cause it gets blocked. Then when I phone and let them know that I am still not receiving sm's they advise me that they can setup a static password.

Cool lets do that, so you do it by password reset on 3D secure that asks you a few questions, but when you hit the password reset, it reloads the screen and asks for the same information. No matter how many times I enter the info it just reloads.Ok cool 3D secure departement tells me I should phone the credit departement cause they think I have online limit. Phone them nope you dont have a limit, but do you want one?(LOL at that point).

Omg after spending an entire week trying to buy electricity Im ready for Steve/Beep bank to leave .

Does all this fustration merrit a bank move.
I mean I have been with them for years, got Home loan, car loan, Savings , 32 day account and Petrol/Credit card with them.Would I loose some sort of good rating if I move?

Question really do I get more pro's moving or more con's?
Has other bank clients had so much Hassle as I have?

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Just switch banks.

I'm on Wizzit at the moment, never regretted my switch from Blapsa to Wizzit. Saved a ton of cash by not having to pay any exorbitant banking fees.

And if somebody says Wizzit is expensive - prove it.

AniV

Expert Member
I didn't even have to read your post, just the title.

Question: "I'm with ABSA - should I change banks?"
Answer: YES. DO IT NOW.

Okay now I've read your post.

Absa is not the only bank that uses 3D Secure. We have a VirginMoney card and it also recently introduced 3D Secure, without even asking us. I was shopping online and suddenly, 3D secure. However we also have 3D Secure with ABSA so I was familiar with it. I entered the info and got a pop-up saying that they had sent the OTP to the registered cellphone number on the account. So I had to get a hold of my hubby to ask him to please give me the OTP because we have a joint account and his name is on it.

So I basically cannot shop online with my VirginCard anymore if a site uses 3D Secure without involving my hubby in the transaction. No more surprise birthday or christmas presents!

Back to ABSA - I hate them with a passion. I had been with them my entire life (since I was 6 when my dad opened a savings account for me) and their service just got worse and worse, their interest rate is useless and their fees are outrageous. One day in the bank a security guard basically physically assaulted me and I stripped my moer. Stormed into their private banking division and closed my account on the spot.

If VirginMoney hadn't palmed off our Home Loan to ABSA when they shut down their bond division we would have no more accounts with them. Unfortunately, moving our homeloan will cost us thousands in bond registration and transfer fees, not to mention losing the incredibly good rate we have. Oh, and ABSA locked our flexibond, meaning we can't access any of the extra money we have saved into that account either. Frack them.

Last edited:

ArchieChoke

I didn't even have to read your post, just the title.

Question: "I'm with ABSA - should I change banks?"
Answer: YES. DO IT NOW.

Okay now I've read your post.

Absa is not the only bank that uses 3D Secure. We have a VirginMoney card and it also recently introduced 3D Secure, without even asking us. I was shopping online and suddenly, 3D secure. However we also have 3D Secure with ABSA so I was familiar with it. I entered the info and got a pop-up saying that they had sent the OTP to the registered cellphone number on the account. So I had to get a hold of my hubby to ask him to please give me the OTP because we have a joint account and his name is on it.

So I basically cannot shop online with my VirginCard anymore if a site uses 3D Secure without involving my hubby in the transaction. No more surprise birthday or christmas presents!

Back to ABSA - I hate them with a passion. I had been with them my entire life (since I was 6 when my dad opened a savings account for me) and their service just got worse and worse, their interest rate is useless and their fees are outrageous. One day in the bank a security guard basically physically assaulted me and I stripped my moer. Stormed into their private banking division and closed my account on the spot.

If VirginMoney hadn't palmed off our Home Loan to ABSA when they shut down their bond division we would have no more accounts with them. Unfortunately, moving our homeloan will cost us thousands in bond registration and transfer fees, not to mention losing the incredibly good rate we have. Oh, and ABSA locked our flexibond, meaning we can't access any of the extra money we have saved into that account either. Frack them.

Thanks for your reply.
Makes me feel better knowing im not the only one who experiences/d issues with them.
Yeah I too have the virgin Card aswell but wont try their 3D secure thing.

Since other banks use this useless 3D secure service, has others had issue with it?

AniV

Expert Member
Just wanted to add - 3D Secure is not the bank. 3D Secure is when a website providing online transactions chooses to use 3D secure to enhance the reliability of the payment portal. For example, not all websites use 3D secure. Debonairs.co.za uses Virtual Card Services instead. So the banks offer a variety of potential secure payment portal options, and websites can choose to implement one.

However, with our Absa 3D Secure account we have a static password, not an OTP. We will probably change our Virgin 3D Secure to a static password or PIN too, so that we don't have the OTP going to Hubby only problem.

But initially we also had some schlep with Absa and 3D Secure to get it set up properly.

The Virgin 3D Secure was suprisingly effortless to use. We didn't actually set any of it up ourselves or apply for it. (IE It wasn't a "choice" to try it or use it.) They just did it for us, and auto-defaulted to the OTP to Cell. Now that we know we have 3D Secure on Virgin, we can make changes if we want. It was a little annoying to have to get the OTP, but with GTalk it was an additional 30 seconds, no more.

ArchieChoke

Just wanted to add - 3D Secure is not the bank. 3D Secure is when a website providing online transactions chooses to use 3D secure to enhance the reliability of the payment portal. For example, not all websites use 3D secure. Debonairs.co.za uses Virtual Card Services instead. So the banks offer a variety of potential secure payment portal options, and websites can choose to implement one.

However, with our Absa 3D Secure account we have a static password, not an OTP. We will probably change our Virgin 3D Secure to a static password or PIN too, so that we don't have the OTP going to Hubby only problem.

But initially we also had some schlep with Absa and 3D Secure to get it set up properly.

The Virgin 3D Secure was suprisingly effortless to use. We didn't actually set any of it up ourselves or apply for it. (IE It wasn't a "choice" to try it or use it.) They just did it for us, and auto-defaulted to the OTP to Cell. Now that we know we have 3D Secure on Virgin, we can make changes if we want. It was a little annoying to have to get the OTP, but with GTalk it was an additional 30 seconds, no more.

Thanks for that last bit, the Virgin card worked instantly.
However still changing banks ASAP.