Absa suffers data breach

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Absa suffers data breach

Absa has suffered a data breach affecting a number of its clients, exposing their personal information to external parties.

The bank sent an email to affected clients on Monday 30 November, warning them that their personal information had been shared with third parties.

B-1

Expert Member
I am baffled why anyone would willingly bank with ABSA.

Banks seem to keep and sell your data indefinitely. Nedbank gave mine to a 3rd party who got hacked years after I closed a home loan I had with them.

Neo_X

Expert Member
dumb question, but haven't we all been compromised with the 2017 master deeds breach.

the question is rather, why is the bank not protecting all of their customers from fraud?!?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
“We regret to notify you that Absa has identified an isolated internal data leak whereby personal information of a limited number of Absa customers was shared with parties external to the bank,” Absa told clients.

“Unfortunately, some of your personal information formed part of this data which included your identity number, contact details, address and account numbers.”

Some people are going to experience a debit order nightmare, and ABSA won't have a guarantee in place. At least they admitted it being an internal breach, not many companies will acknowledge this until it makes light in public.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I honestly did not even know ABSA was still around.
Thought they disappeared in the days of Volkskas and other colonial bank times

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Why did that employee have that access? How far up were they?

Not much transparency.

Absa has brought criminal charges against the employee and said that the requisite consequence management has been undertaken internally.

It will be known soon; these breaches have now become a reoccurring event in SA and the investigative media will be snooping around.

Brenden_E

Executive Member
Why?

FNB is crap, Standard bank, Nedbank all sucks
Capitec, at least if their banking sucks you pay low fees.

If you want a funny story. I was forced to bank with ABSA as an employee. They screwed me around so much I was convinced the systems and support staff were designed to frustrate.

It reached breaking point when they quoted me one amount, and the day before the product kicked in they pushed up the price by 30% without any notification. They refused to cancel the product after I said I was not happy. I lost my **** and swore at the lady over the phone, not my proudest moment.

The support staff lady looked me up, found I was staff, and reported me internally. Dude...
Fortunately, my manager was awesome sauce and he managed to de-escalate the situation.

If ABSA is good at anything it's to wilt down your self-control until you are broken...

vic777

Expert Member
Capitec, at least if their banking sucks you pay low fees.

If you want a funny story. I was forced to bank with ABSA as an employee. They screwed me around so much I was convinced the systems and support staff were designed to frustrate.

It reached breaking point when they quoted me one amount, and the day before the product kicked in they pushed up the price by 30% without any notification. They refused to cancel the product after I said I was not happy. I lost my **** and swore at the lady over the phone, not my proudest moment.

The support staff lady looked me up, found I was staff, and reported me internally. Dude...
Fortunately, my manager was awesome sauce and he managed to de-escalate the situation.

If ABSA is good at anything it's to wilt down your self-control until you are broken...
Never had any issues like this with ABSA as a customer. Had plenty with both FNB and SBSA, some with ABSA, but all 3 sucks