Absa users please help me!

DantheMan@56

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask but I would like to verify if a proof of payment sms is legitimate.

I'm selling a drone and the person buying it from me is ABSA Bank and I am Capitec bank. I did receive a proof of payment from the buyer/Absa bank, however, I would just like to know if the sms is fake or not? I mean like the content, format etc since Absa users will know what it looks like. The reason I'm doubting is because at the end of the POP sms there is an international number. Why would absa include an international number if the transaction is local? Can someone that uses Absa please tell me if this is what Absa's POP smses really look like.

The buyer is pretty persistent on wanting to collect the drone asap but I made it clear I will only release the drone once the funds are in my account.

Thanks! Screenshot_20200531-114820_Messages.jpg Screenshot_20200531-114820_Messages.jpg

saor

Honorary Master
That "Int. no." part is what's bothering me.
That's just saying that if you're not in SA that's how you dial the help number - by dialing +27 etc. Still not sure why you don't just wait for the funds to clear and save yourself any potential hassle.

DantheMan@56

Stick to your initial conditions of sale and you'll be fine.
Definitely will. This still doesn't answer my initial question. Can somebody who is using Absa please tell me if this sms is legimate according to their knowledge?

You know when your gut is telling you something is not right? I have that feeling about this.

Nevertheless, will hold onto the drone till the money is in my Capitec account. Should the cash never reflect in my account what would be the best option? Report the matter to the cops or just do nothing about it?

DantheMan@56

That's just saying that if you're not in SA that's how you dial the help number - by dialing +27 etc. Still not sure why you don't just wait for the funds to clear and save yourself any potential hassle.
You are right! Instead of feeding off hypothetical BS let's wait and see what happens.

Do you have any idea how long it would take to clear? Most probably by Wednesday next week?

Luke7777

Executive Member
When I pay anyone for goods from my ABSA account, I normally select immediate payment, which will go thru within hours, at worst the same day. Yours might reflect this evening or tomorrow I think

Snyper564

Executive Member
you really should have done this cash, I am almost certain its a scam, there is no way I would pay you upfront on a sunday when it will take 3 days to clear and never met you before. You should have reduced price by R50 and just did an instant payment... Wait till those funds clear

Ragnarök

Can't you call the ABSA helpline , to verify the transaction with the payment reference number , there should be a payment ref. number on the SMS

DantheMan@56

Can't you call the ABSA helpline , to verify the transaction with the payment reference number , there should be a payment ref. number on the SMS
This is what the type of info I wanted. So the name/account is not the reference?

DantheMan@56

you really should have done this cash, I am almost certain its a scam, there is no way I would pay you upfront on a sunday when it will take 3 days to clear and never met you before. You should have reduced price by R50 and just did an instant payment... Wait till those funds clear
He made the payment yesterday (Saturday).

DantheMan@56

When I pay anyone for goods from my ABSA account, I normally select immediate payment, which will go thru within hours, at worst the same day. Yours might reflect this evening or tomorrow I think
The buyer made the payment around 9pm last night. I will post the outcome. If it's a scam I would like to report the guy but knowing our South African police......prolly a waste of time to trace the guy.

Carlos1975

Hi there I don't trust anyone with transfers not even my wife contact your own bank and confirm that the money is in your bank account and cleared

Luke7777

Executive Member
I've made lots of payments over weekends to people I haven't met before.... :) When I see something I want to buy, I don't always think... oh, wait ...this is a Saturday... let's wait till Monday. I also believe making the payment as soon as possible shows that I'm serious

Last edited:

Snyper564

Executive Member
I've made lots of payments over weekends to people I haven't met before.... :) When I see something I want to buy, I don't always think... oh, wait ...this is a Saturday... let's wait till Monday
Seriously... this is how people get scammed... pay cash or do an instant transfer when you with the person. 1000s of people get scammed like this deal is just to good to pass up etc...

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask but I would like to verify if a proof of payment sms is legitimate.

I'm selling a drone and the person buying it from me is ABSA Bank and I am Capitec bank. I did receive a proof of payment from the buyer/Absa bank, however, I would just like to know if the sms is fake or not? I mean like the content, format etc since Absa users will know what it looks like. The reason I'm doubting is because at the end of the POP sms there is an international number. Why would absa include an international number if the transaction is local? Can someone that uses Absa please tell me if this is what Absa's POP smses really look like.

The buyer is pretty persistent on wanting to collect the drone asap but I made it clear I will only release the drone once the funds are in my account.

Thanks! View attachment 848809 View attachment 848809
That's not how you confirm the money is cleared.
You go to your bank account or phone the bank to confirm. That SMS is like a "heads up, something is coming". It's a bit like the fart before the turd. It may be something, it may not.

If the buyer is persistent, then you should be persistenter... About the money clearing first. ;)