ADSL line finally fixed, problem at Pierre van Ryneveld exchange

bigboy529

Expert Member
Hi all
Since the Telkom line upgrades to 1 MB I had speed problems. I had good speed for about 30% of the day and the rest of the day my speed was very bad. I first thought the problem was with MWeb but eventually we discovered it was my line. I called Telkom and they did a port reset and they told me to monitor the line. The problem wasn't solved so eventually about a week ago I called Telkom to come check it out.
Yesterday a Telkom tech came to my house, he tested the line and then said he will go move me to another physical port at the exchange. He said I'm not the first person on the Ryneveld exchange having this problem so he will move me to one of the new upgraded ports. Later while at the exchange he called me and asked me to do a speed test. My ping was half of what it always was, it's now about 25 ms and I got faster download speed than ever before. He told me to monitor throughout the day and call him if it drops again. David the Telkom tech was very nice and actually understood my problem better than the people in the call center. My line speed has been constant for about 28 hours now, so I think it's safe to say that the problem is fixed.

bigboy529

Expert Member
Sorry forgot to say, I'm not in Pierre van Ryneveld I'm actually in Rietvallei park/Elardus park on the other side of the R21 highway, but I'm apparently on the Ryneveld exchange. So if you have the same problems, just ask them to switch you to another physical port at the exchange.

wernervn

I'm on the PvR exchange too. I had endless connectivity too, until they moved me to one of the updated ports in Jan 2012 - think they called it an Imax.

Then in October I started getting the same issues. It took them 3 weeks to resolve it. Seems some bright spark had disconnected me. So they put me on the imax port again, and it was fine for 5 days.

Now my line is down because of last nights storm :-(

bigboy529

Expert Member
Sucks about your line, are you sure it's not your modem?
It's actually stupid, if they know there's a problem with the older ports, why don't they just upgrade more ports to be able to switch everybody to the new upgraded ports? Or maybe it's their way to limit the peoples internet to a extent and I bet a lot of lighter internet users doesn't even realise it or they think it's normal speeds. Thing is I realised it because I'm at home during the day and on my computer all the time. 80% of other users probably just use their ADSL over weekends or at night when they come home from work and they are happy with whatever speeds they get at the time.

bigboy529

Expert Member
So far so good. Used and monitored line speed over the weekend and through out today and I still have consistent speeds.