ADSL line speed optimiser launched by WebAfrica

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Probably just access to uniweb, but great move. I wholeheartedly approve.

Dean

Expert Member
Great idea; however no mention on their website, client zone, DSL console or in the article about where can we find this elusive optimiser?

Tinuva

The Magician

Go to account -> services or just https://www.webafrica.co.za/client/services.html
Next to the line portion (which you must have via Web Africa) click "Manage".

You should now see a screen with sync stats and some options if you are on a 4mbit+ line.

dsl-line.png

Last edited:

werny

Expert Member
Fantastic tool, just hope that Afrihost will also implement this into their client zone, will make everything just so much easier.

Bern

Expert Member
Very awesome, giving more control to the customer and thus also reducing support costs. Well done guys, just thinking how many times I have had to go through a painful process with Telkom or an ISP to get a port reset or something like that when I know that is the issue, but they need to follow the service desk script...

Sapphiron

Expert Member
This tool has helped a lot of my clients already.

dropping their 8mbit line sync to 4Mbit (they have 4Mbit data bundles), Greatly improves stability and quality of line.

I have to use it at home to get a stable line. I cant get stable 4mbit anymore. I need to drop to 3Mbit when dry and 2Mbit when its raining. Telkom admits there is a problem with one of the backhaul lines, but refuses to replace it. I got 8Mbit stable 18 months ago. Now I am having to wait for it to fail, before they will replace it.

Yuu

Executive Member
Bloody innovative WA, thanks for this :). They definitely were watching what users talk about on the forums :p.

Article mentions nothing about a fee for using something like this, does WA plan to charge customers later on?

Last edited:

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
Naw, been running 10mbit/sec with these stats for over 6 months now, and haven't had a single line drop yet so I am pretty happy staying with 10mbit, love the 1mbit/sec upload speed.

LOL :)

Mine also syncs at 10016kbps for the last 6months +. I think it's a sync issue or something, but as long as the line is stable, I'm not touching that speed :D

WAJeff

Web Africa Representative
From our KB :)

http://kb.webafrica.co.za/article/A...nes-ADSL-lines/ADSL-Line-Speed-Optimiser.html

ADSL Line Speed Optimiser

What is the ADSL Line Speed Optimiser?

This tool allows you to perform certain functions without contacting the call centre.
These functions include:

• Resetting your port
  • Checking the health status of your line by using the line SNR and Attenuation values
  • Changing your line sync speed (only applicable on a 10Mbps service)

What are the benefits of the ADSL Line Speed Optimiser?

Checking the health status of your line will allow you to view the speed that your router synchronises to the exchange. Please note that your sync speed is not the actual speed that you will be able to download at. This is dependent on distance from the exchange and copper quality e.g. a line syncing at 1024kbps can expect a speed from approximately 0.77mb and not 1mb.

Line attenuation is the reduction of the signal strength on the copper cables over the distance and is measured in DB decibels. The further you are away from the Telkom exchange, the higher your attenuation as signal decreases.Your router should provide you with an idea in what your attenuation is.

Signal to Noise ratio (SNR)- The signal level compared to the noise level. A value above 6 dB indicates sufficient signal strength. The higher the signal value is the better.

Performing these checks and changing your line speeds allows you to manage your line without having to contact the call centre.

How do I access the line management tool?

You can access this page by logging into your Customer Zone. Please note that you need to have your line rental with Web Africa in order to access the ADSL Line Speed Optimiser.

I have completed the checks and my line quality shows no improvement.

If after completing the checks and changing your speed or resetting your port and the issue still persists, you can log a ticket via the Customer Zone or call us on 086 000 9500.

Tinuva

The Magician
Bloody innovative WA, thanks for this :). They definitely were watching what users talk about on the forums :p.

Article mentions nothing about a fee for using something like this, does WA plan to charge customers later on?
Dont think you will ever have to pay to use the tool, however you will have to have your adsl line with WA instead of with Telkom to be able to get access to the tool.

WAJeff

Web Africa Representative

We'll never charge at a later stage :)
The tool is there for you guys to use, not as an optional extra at a monthly charge.

Vox

Vox Telecom Representative
Company Rep
And that is why WA is the best ISP :)

Well done!