Advice on first car

AndyPandy

I'm planning on getting my first car in the next month or so. I've been looking at hatchbacks in the price range of around 120-130k. I'd prefer a newer model car around 2017/2018 and up, the newer and lower distance on the clock the better. The two I've been looking at are the VW Polo Vivo and the Ford Figo (maybe a fiesta which is more expensive). I'm located in Cape Town, but I've been looking at dealership cars on autotrader in Gauteng because of how much cheaper it is there. I've got cash saved up for a deposit, and I'll do the rest through financing.

Things I've been thinking about include:

Whether spending the extra cash to get a Fiesta rather than a Figo is worth it
How to get the car inspected by a third party while I'm not in the province
How to get the car down to Cape Town. Whether there are services that will bring it down for me, or can I fly up with a roadtrip partner and drive it down (considering whether there are inter-provincial travel restrictions)
What is the best vehicle insurance option available to me seeing as I'm a young(ish) (25) male.
Whether I should rather buy in Cape Town and spend the extra cash rather than deal with the hassle of getting a car from Gauteng

I'm not a car guy, so all of this is new to me and lots of the technical details fly over my head. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I'm not a car guy, so all of this is new to me and lots of the technical details fly over my head. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Find a car guy to befriend and take them with to look at any car you intend purchasing.

S.Claus

Expert Member
1.Avoid VW if you can (criminals love polos )
2.Buy a car in Cape Town so you can drive it to determine if it’s the right car for you
3.I highly recommend you take the car for checkup to determine if the cars got issues or accident damage
4. Get insurance before you drive the car (accident can happen around every corner)

AndyPandy

1.Avoid VW if you can (criminals love polos )
2.Buy a car in Cape Town so you can drive it to determine if it’s the right car for you
3.I highly recommend you take the car for checkup to determine if the cars got issues or accident damage
4. Get insurance before you drive the car (accident can happen around every corner)
1. I think I'm moving away from VW for now
2. I was thinking of test driving the same model from a dealership in Cape Town, based on one I found in Gauteng
3. I'm researching to see if I can have a car run through an inspection by a third party such as 1 and 2 before purchasing anything
4. I am looking into it, I'm with Discovery already, but I want to shop around for other options

SmuGS

Expert Member
For insurance, go through a broker.. It's their job to get you the best deal.. And by best I don't mean the cheapest...
I just happen to be with Discovery too. I dented my bakkie shortly after buying it and the claim was done effortlessly with no problems at all..

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
1) I wouldn't get a Polo, purely for the hijack risk.
2) Get the Fiesta, not the Figo.
3) When buying second hand, ALWAYS test drive the actual car, not an equivalent model elsewhere.
4) When financing a car, they get send for roadworthy at Dekra ad give a full list of any failures (which the dealership is obliged to fix as they can't sell an unlicensed, unroadworthy car). This report will also indicate any faults or general observations about the car. Insist on receiving a copy of the Dekra report
5) As the vehicle will be financed, you have no choice but to have insurance in place prior to taking delivery - it's a legal requirement. I can help with an insurance contact if you like.

AndyPandy

I think the main thing I'm taking in is that I should rather look at a dealership in Cape Town first, just so that I can test the actual car rather than risking it for a cheaper one in Gauteng. It just seems ridiculous to me how much cheaper they are there.

KhoisanX

Expert Member
Draw up a shortlist then get insurance quotes for all of them. It's going to be a large part of your monthly costs, so it could be a factor in your decision if there's a large difference between models.

Yoztruly

I have helped 2 cousins of mine look for cars in the last 3 months. From that experience, I can tell you it will be hard to find a 2017/2018 Vivo or Fiesta with “low mileage” at your price point. My guess is that the cars you are seeing in Gauteng at those prices are being sold by dodgy dealers and the cars have questionable history at best. If possible, I would say try add R30k to your budget and find yourself a brand new Suzuki Swift GA. You get yourself a brand new car with 5 year warranty and 2 year service plan.

Meister-Man

I think the main thing I'm taking in is that I should rather look at a dealership in Cape Town first, just so that I can test the actual car rather than risking it for a cheaper one in Gauteng. It just seems ridiculous to me how much cheaper they are there.

Correct.
If it was new, then sure drive an equivalent, but a used car you want to do a proper drive in the actual car.
Shipping to CT from JHB or flying up to drive down, these are not cheap either.
The much cheaper options you talking about in JHB are likely dodgy dealers.

Flywheel

Honorary Master
Go get this for R89k. Ask if the timing/water pump/ service has been done, then take it to DEKRA for a full check. If all looks good, buy it. You won't go wrong with this model of Jazz. I have a similar one that is 10 years old and not a single issue thus far. Smash n Grab tint is 1.8k and a set of new tryes is 3.5k, then you're all set.