advice on TFSA

Hamster

Resident Rodent
so would a good process be to utilise ETFs for long term strategy and ETNs for maybe short term and if they grow "cash out"???
No. ETNs, ETFs and Unit Trusts - same WhatsApp group. Doing the same thing in a different way.

maqsmaqs

on a side point
my two daughters have TFSAs set up by their gran
its in an old mutual balanced fund which hasnt done so well
should one leave it in there or move going forward to another TFSA?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
on a side point
my two daughters have TFSAs set up by their gran
its in an old mutual balanced fund which hasnt done so well
should one leave it in there or move going forward to another TFSA?
Transfer it to somewhere that's cheaper like Sygnia, 22seven etc... Liberty Stash is fee free and you can use your Credit card. Currently, you can only invest in the J200 though.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Transfer it to somewhere that's cheaper like Sygnia, 22seven etc... Liberty Stash is fee free and you can use your Credit card. Currently, you can only invest in the J200 though.
Transferring TFSAs is a pain, it requires some hounding. Mostly of the institution you're transferring out of, the receiving one is usually happy enough to receive your business. Transferring my FNB TFSA to Easy Equities took four or five months IIRC.

That being said, OM is expensive and someone cheaper would improve your returns. I personally use EE because of their low costs and I can invest in whatever ETFs I please. The only problem I have with Liberty Stash is that you're locked to their JSE index fund, and I prefer to put most of my TFSA in offshore feeder funds.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Nothing performed well over the last year.

And Liberty Stash is not a serious solution. Leave it be unless you cannot afford a monthly debit order and have no choice but to save change.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Transferring TFSAs is a pain, it requires some hounding. Mostly of the institution you're transferring out of, the receiving one is usually happy enough to receive your business. Transferring my FNB TFSA to Easy Equities took four or five months IIRC.

That being said, OM is expensive and someone cheaper would improve your returns. I personally use EE because of their low costs and I can invest in whatever ETFs I please. The only problem I have with Liberty Stash is that you're locked to their JSE index fund, and I prefer to put most of my TFSA in offshore feeder funds.
Yeah but I don't mind. Love that it goes off the CC without fees.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Open up an FNB foreign currency account and buy some dollars or pounds with some of your savings. You earn almost zero interest but with the inevitable slide in the rand you will at least protect your savings from currency depreciation.

Dhara

I have recently started learning on ETFs which something totally new, and I am doing a lot of studying on the subjet though I am still not out of the hoods in full understanding what ETFs to buy and etc
I understand that the best way to invest is to start early, so I have started investing in the ETFs below just to be focused and commit myself to studying more. I am sure as I will be gaining more understanding I will change my portfolio , but at the moment Is this a god start while I further gain the knowledge on the ETFs

SYGNIA ITRIX MSCI WORLD 20%
SYGNIA ITRIX MSCI JAPAN 10%
Satrix RESI ETF 10%
Satrix DIVI ETF 10%
Satrix 40 ETF 20%
NewFunds Equity Momentum ETF 10%
Ashburton Global 1200 Equity ETF 20%

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I have recently started learning on ETFs which something totally new, and I am doing a lot of studying on the subjet though I am still not out of the hoods in full understanding what ETFs to buy and etc
I understand that the best way to invest is to start early, so I have started investing in the ETFs below just to be focused and commit myself to studying more. I am sure as I will be gaining more understanding I will change my portfolio , but at the moment Is this a god start while I further gain the knowledge on the ETFs

Satrix RESI ETF 10%
Satrix DIVI ETF 10%
Satrix 40 ETF 20%
Just buy one of the baskets on Easy Equities because clearly reading is not helping you.

Satrix RESI ETF 10%
Satrix DIVI ETF 10%
Satrix 40 ETF 20%
What was your motivation in picking that collection? You're doubling up on several things there.

jman

Expert Member

Satrix RESI ETF 10%
Satrix DIVI ETF 10%
Satrix 40 ETF 20%
Hm. What's your reasoning behind all this? Doesn't make much sense. Just buy the Satrix world or Ashburton 1200 and be done with it. Looks like you're just confusing yourself

good afternoon all
i am a non SA resident in SA and i have been told i can open a TFSA
i am about to send in paperwork for my permanent residency so am hoping to put funds into a TFSA here

which TFSAa would you recommend me investing into

have limited investment knowledge but hoping to get some good advice on here

Okay so let's tackle the first problem I see with the above question.

You have to be a South African tax resident to open a Tax Free Savings Account.
If and when (looking at your scenario) you are a South African tax resident you can start looking at what tax free investment account is the most suitable.

Talk to a registered financial advisor. They will be able to give you the most appropriate advice. Is a TFSA the best option for you when looking at the term and goal you have in mind for the investment? In order to really utilise the benefits of a TFSA you should not be using it as a savings account (as it is ironically named). You should be using it as an investment vehicle aimed at long term growth.

When you have a clear idea of what exactly your goals are, you can start looking at what your risk appetite is. Some people can take the risk of investing in aggressive funds. Other people can not or do not want to invest in aggressive volatile funds. Recommending a fund without knowing what a person's personal financial situation is, is reckless and irresponsible. Make an appointment or talk to a financial advisor to get a better idea of how you should invest your money.

Content contained within my posts does not constitute personal financial advice. Views expressed (ideas, opinions, predictions, forecasts, commentaries and/or suggestions, etc) either directly or indirectly implied are for forum discussion purposes only and meant to encourage a dialogue on financial health. While post contents are provided as accurately as reasonably possible, errors and/or omissions may be present. Post content should be considered both broad and generalized rather than holistic in nature and does not cater toward personal financial needs and/or scenarios. I do not take responsibility for any actions taken (or not taken) as a result of said views expressed.

Zukat

Satrix RESI ETF 10%
Satrix DIVI ETF 10%
Satrix 40 ETF 20%
These two are very similar and advise is to look at the TER, in which case Ashburton comes on top.

ld13

Honorary Master
Slightly O/T - my mom's Tax Free Investment (fixed deposit with Investec) matured and they automatically reinvested it for another 12 months in a "new" tax free fixed deposit... does that count towards my mom's tax free allowance for the year?

Jehosefat

Expert Member
Slightly O/T - my mom's Tax Free Investment (fixed deposit with Investec) matured and they automatically reinvested it for another 12 months in a "new" tax free fixed deposit... does that count towards my mom's tax free allowance for the year?
No, it doesn't. Would be a pretty pointless product if it did...