Afrihost data simcards deleted by MTN without warning after 6 months.

ezras

MTN delete your Afrihost Simcard if no MTN airtime is loaded every 6 months, and it is not Afrihost problem,
nor is it in their agreement.​

Hi there.

I recently discovered that Afrihost data simcards were deleted by MTN after 6 months if no airtime was loaded on it. (You can do a number-port from a MTN simcard to Afrihost, but the simcard will be deleted from the network if no MTN airtime was loaded on it every 6 months.)

NOTE:
1. I was never informed when I signed up with Afrihost that my simcards use for data must also have MTN data on. (Loaded, every 6 months to void being de-registered).
2. After almost a year I checked on the Afrihost website and cannot find any mention of this. (Unless they have very fine print that I missed.)
3. I ordered simcards directly from Afrihost before and MTN yellow simcards was delivered. (Not the red ones and delivery fees paid in full).

Months later, and now the simcards are without warning deleted from the MTN network. (We use these Afrihost mobile data cards for our staff.) I have more MTN data simards, and have to order new Afrihost simcards + additional R150 delivery fee.)

1. I contacted the helpdesk and given up after spending about 2 hours getting through to their contact centre. (Their mobile APP chat feature does not work, website chat giving time-outs, phone calls getting cut after a while and when you take the options to go through the switchboard they constantly transfer you to a answering machine.)
2. I emailed them with my complaint, first response was 3 days later and the second one was about 7 days later. (Very badly responses, with people who obviously did not read my complaint.)
3. Eventually got through to the call centre, spoken to a supervisor and he made clear that they could not assist me. I either had to buy another MTN simcard and do a sim-swop or order a Afrihost Simcard from their website + R150 delivery fee.
4. Afrihost still charges you for in-active simcards and getting a refund is a huge deal.

Seriously, this cannot be right.

Anyone else experienced this?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
If you haven't actually used it in six months, then maybe you don't actually need it?

Sollie

Executive Member
If you haven't actually used it in six months, then maybe you don't actually need it?
Personally I have a small Axxess package, not because I need it normally, but because I may need it, that is when my usual solution fails. This caters for when I may be out in the sticks and suddenly need to do something where my normal solution has no coverage. Call it insurance. It uses a different ISP, upstream provider etc, a distinctly second channel of access.

For the rest, my normal solution works and I sleep well with my R29/m backup get out of jail free package.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Personally I have a small Axxess package, not because I need it normally, but because I may need it, that is when my usual solution fails. This caters for when I may be out in the sticks and suddenly need to do something where my normal solution has no coverage. Call it insurance. It uses a different ISP, upstream provider etc, a distinctly second channel of access.

For the rest, my normal solution works and I sleep well with my R29/m backup get out of jail free package.
Just make sure you use it once a month to keep it active.

Zuner

Expert Member
Incorrect, I use afrihost data too. It's I secondary SIM used only for data. But it would still get deregistered SIM the activity is not in MTN side.

So op is using it, just not on MTN.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Incorrect, I use afrihost data too. It's I secondary SIM used only for data. But it would still get deregistered SIM the activity is not in MTN side.

So op is using it, just not on MTN.
If he is using it on Afrihost, then it's on mtn.

Venomous

Honorary Master
There have been threads here before....

Guy gets home. AH SIM in router. AH paid current and up to date. And then guy has no internet for the night as MTN were shafters and removed the SIM from their systems...

Zuner

Expert Member
Agreed I think I wasn't clear enough. What I mean by "it's not on MTN" is that the actual use of the SIM is going through afrihost, so MTN registers it as not in use thus cancels it after x amount of time.

So op is using the SIM but it'll get cancelled anyway.

OCP

Expert Member
AH sold you the service and should sort it out.
The fact that they have not should tell you to rather move to a reputable provider where you actually get what you pay for.

Budza

Executive Member
AH sold you the service and should sort it out.
The fact that they have not should tell you to rather move to a reputable provider where you actually get what you pay for.
This. I'm on Afrihost too.

I'm not with MTN :sick:

Afrihost need to ensure SIMs using their APN aren't expired. Simple really :confused: