• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Afrihost Fixed wireless - AKA Rain

Executive Member
Anyone given Afrihost's Rain offering a try?

Rain was WBS known mostly for it's iBurst offerings right?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Not being able to use your own router with this product is a major fail. It's a complete deal breaker for me.

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
Not being able to use your own router with this product is a major fail. It's a complete deal breaker for me.
This is just the initial launch promotion made available by Rain, I am sure that in due time they will make additional offers available.

I am also not sure if LTE-A is compatible with all standard LTE modems, that could also be a factor.

Clayman

so then it should work then in ANY router modem, not always branded Rain one....
The school of thought is that it is a pain to manage a few hundred types of end user devices. Rather ship out a standard device that's known and works across the relevant bands, and that can also be remotely managed and rebooted via SNMP if required. Makes the quality of the service better and the perceived experience better overall

The Rain Router works with my Asus DSL-AC52U router. The Rain one, a Huawei-B618-346B Fixed Wireless modem/router, ( I call it "the Cube") has only 2 ethernet ports and also supports DSL. But to run a wired network, one would need to connect it to either a router or a switch of some sort. The latter, in the absence of a router, is probably the cheaper solution.I connect the Cube by means of a Cat 5e cable to the Ewan port of my Asus, which has the required number of lan ports for my purposes. So that there are not an unnecessary abundance of wireless signals bouncing about the place, I have diconnected the Wlan on the Cube and use the Asus's dual band wireless instead. I am easily able to reach the Cube's control panel in this way, too, through the Asus.

AfriGhost

The school of thought is that it is a pain to manage a few hundred types of end user devices. Rather ship out a standard device that's known and works across the relevant bands, and that can also be remotely managed and rebooted via SNMP if required. Makes the quality of the service better and the perceived experience better overall
It makes it much easier from the user side as all you need to configure is your WiFi. The Router can also be used for Fibre should that become available and you wish to change to it.

::NOT AN AFRIHOST REP::

The Rain Router works with my Asus DSL-AC52U router. The Rain one, a Huawei-B618-346B Fixed Wireless modem/router, ( I call it "the Cube") has only 2 ethernet ports and also supports DSL. But to run a wired network, one would need to connect it to either a router or a switch of some sort. The latter, in the absence of a router, is probably the cheaper solution.I connect the Cube by means of a Cat 5e cable to the Ewan port of my Asus, which has the required number of lan ports for my purposes. So that there are not an unnecessary abundance of wireless signals bouncing about the place, I have diconnected the Wlan on the Cube and use the Asus's dual band wireless instead. I am easily able to reach the Cube's control panel in this way, too, through the Asus.
Where are you located? Have you had a good experience with Rain on Afrihost?

Leonsteg

Got LTE A from afrihost service very bad. If you change package it does not take effect at the beginning of the next month as advertised, but immediately. So if you down grade you lose your data you still had for the month. Just lost 320gig of data. Afrihost want to compensate me with only 80 gig.

AfriFella

Afrihost
Company Rep
Got LTE A from afrihost service very bad. If you change package it does not take effect at the beginning of the next month as advertised, but immediately. So if you down grade you lose your data you still had for the month. Just lost 320gig of data. Afrihost want to compensate me with only 80 gig.
Heya Leonsteg. Sorry about the late reply here. Upgrades happen immediately, but other types of account changes should really only happen at the end of the month. I think I'll need a little more info regarding what happened on your account in order for me to offer you a better explanation or solution. :) Please feel free to PM me your account info and I'll take a look.