Afrihost LTE misleading

dits

Because my Telkom LTE was becoming slower and slower and I knew Fibre was on the way I ordered CellC LTE from Afrihost on a month to month contract. CellC LTE worked much better (speed and stability) than Telkom. After two months the Fibre became available and I signed up with CoolIdeas. I did check with Afrihost support when I should so I would not have to pay for June.

Hence I cancelled LTE from Afrihost. They subsequently charged me for June and they charged me a cancellation fee of R 999. I disputed the June bill and I was credited for this. No apology or anything, just a notice. I am disputing the cancellation fee as well, because in the terms and conditions it states 'charged R999 for the modem, which you may keep'. Can completely understand such a charge for those that actually received a modem. Should be easy to rectify ....

Now they tell me 'note that the cancellation charge is billed because you cancelled the service before six months and this is applicable even with the sim only option'. I would say this daylight robbery! Anyone else experiencing similar issues with Afrihost?

gaknlmalokgamigj.png

saor

Honorary Master
Should you cancel your Fixed Wireless package in less than 6 months from signup date, or your account falls into arrears, you will automatically be charged a cancellation fee of R999.
https://www.afrihost.com/landing/fixed_wireless/
Should you return, cancel or downgrade your Fixed Wireless package in less than 6 months from signup date, or your account falls into arrears, you will automatically be charged a cancellation fee of R999.
https://help.afrihost.com/topic/fixed-wireless-internet/how-to-cancel-your-fixed-wireless-package

dits

What you are referring to is the promotion deal:

Promotion deal.png

I got none of these options, no modem and no free month.

dits

Ooops, I was not completely correct. I changed title to misleading instead of scam. Turns out I was credited for the last few days in April. This is considered '1 MONTH FREE'. I ordered the service through the client zone, where the link to terms and conditions is a dead link (still to date).

I'm letting this rest, but I do find the term misleading is still justified.

MavChat

The 1 Month free is for the month that you ordered the service. Whether you sign up on the 1st or the 29th - the rule applies that that month, or part thereof is free.

The Afrihost terms and conditions are linked at the bottom of every page on afrihost.com

dits

The link to the terms and conditions has been broken for months. I just checked it still is broken:

Screenshot sign up 2.png
Then on the LTE page it looks like this:

1560088221085.png

Those terms and conditions are very small compared the the 1 month free.

However, I never looked at this page, I signed up through client zone. Terms and conditions there are as follows:

1560088451443.png

"Should you cancel your Fixed Wireless package in less than 6 months from signup date, or your account falls into arrears, you will automatically be charged R999 for the modem, which you may keep. (Only applicable for signups done on or after 05 October 2017)"

Hence reasonable to assume that if you do not get a modem you do not pay R999.

Hence MISLEADING

Attachments

Reactions: rdm

OCP

Expert Member
R999 is worth paying if it means you do not have to deal with AH anymore....

chrisc

Executive Member
Afrihost tried to bill me for my own ADSL router when I stopped the service. They could not tell me the make/model of the router that they assumed they supplied. Very nasty communications and ignored my replies

dits

R999 is worth paying if it means you do not have to deal with AH anymore....
Up till these unpleasant experiences I was quite content with their service. I still have a mobile data contract with them. Not sure yet if I will keep that ;).

AfriFella

Afrihost
Company Rep
The link to the terms and conditions has been broken for months. I just checked it still is broken:

View attachment 669423
Then on the LTE page it looks like this:

View attachment 669427

Those terms and conditions are very small compared the the 1 month free.

However, I never looked at this page, I signed up through client zone. Terms and conditions there are as follows:

View attachment 669433

"Should you cancel your Fixed Wireless package in less than 6 months from signup date, or your account falls into arrears, you will automatically be charged R999 for the modem, which you may keep. (Only applicable for signups done on or after 05 October 2017)"

Hence reasonable to assume that if you do not get a modem you do not pay R999.

Hence MISLEADING
Hey dits

I am so sorry that your experience with us has been poor. I have asked our branding team to update the terms and conditions to clarify the terms and eliminate the misunderstanding.

AfriFella

Afrihost
Company Rep
Afrihost tried to bill me for my own ADSL router when I stopped the service. They could not tell me the make/model of the router that they assumed they supplied. Very nasty communications and ignored my replies

Oh no chrisc, I am so sorry about this. Did we rectify the issue for you?