Afrihost LTE

Ghaznavid

Anyone else finding that Afrihost LTE has just stopped working a few days ago, and never came back.

On 31 October around 10PM, my internet just cut out (it wasn't capped, I had over 20GB left), and it hasn't been back on since then. Customer Care keeps telling me to try turning it off and on again (as if I'm on IT Crowd), and says they'll get back to me - but 6 days later, still no internet. I did switch packages effective 1 November, but clientzone doesn't say I've been capped, so that shouldn't be it.

Something similar happened in the first month I was with them - I was capped when I had used 50% of my data. They told me I was allocated too much in error and would get a credit note for the R200 over-billed, but 3 months later (and a few follow up messages later), still no credit note.

I have been with Afrihost for years and would have rated their customer care 12/10 until I took up this fixed LTE. This connection has been a real pain, very expensive for something that has broken down twice in under 3 months.

On a related note - anyone had any luck with other fixed LTE providers, and know if a Huawei B618 router from Afrihost will work on other ISPs?

Venomous

Honorary Master
Anyone else finding that Afrihost LTE has just stopped working a few days ago, and never came back.

On 31 October around 10PM, my internet just cut out (it wasn't capped, I had over 20GB left), and it hasn't been back on since then. Customer Care keeps telling me to try turning it off and on again (as if I'm on IT Crowd), and says they'll get back to me - but 6 days later, still no internet. I did switch packages effective 1 November, but clientzone doesn't say I've been capped, so that shouldn't be it.

Something similar happened in the first month I was with them - I was capped when I had used 50% of my data. They told me I was allocated too much in error and would get a credit note for the R200 over-billed, but 3 months later (and a few follow up messages later), still no credit note.

I have been with Afrihost for years and would have rated their customer care 12/10 until I took up this fixed LTE. This connection has been a real pain, very expensive for something that has broken down twice in under 3 months.

On a related note - anyone had any luck with other fixed LTE providers, and know if a Huawei B618 router from Afrihost will work on other ISPs?
The B618 is one of their approved routers

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Where are you situated? Did you log into the router web admin to check what's happening

Ghaznavid

@Venomous: I should hope so, I bought it from them!
@PsyWulf: Pietermaritzburg, and yes, I did. The router says it has no signal (I have been using this line for months, and am in the middle of a coverage zone). I took a different sim and put it into the router and it worked perfectly, so it isn't the router - and the router clearly isn't sim locked.

I suspect the SIM is faulty - so they'll need to replace it (and seeing as it is only 2 months old, they better not have the nerve to try and charge me for that). Odd that it went from working perfectly to not working at all.

Ghaznavid

@Venomous: I should hope so, I bought it from them!
@PsyWulf: Pietermaritzburg, and yes, I did. The router says it has no signal (I have been using this line for months, and am in the middle of a coverage zone). I took a different sim and put it into the router and it worked perfectly, so it isn't the router - and the router clearly isn't sim locked.

I suspect the SIM is faulty - so they'll need to replace it (and seeing as it is only 2 months old, they better not have the nerve to try and charge me for that). Odd that it went from working perfectly to not working at all.

PseudZ

Expert Member
The same thing happened to me on the 3rd or the 4th. 3G/LTE signal just stopped but voice and sms still works - I'm using the sim card in my phone. Was initially told I don't have data even though I had only used about 30MB of my 1GB this month. Looking in Client Zone showed I didn't have any data either. Afrihost loaded another 1GB on to my account after I showed them my usage but I still don't have signal.

I don't think Afrihost's mobile department really know what they are doing. This is the second time I've lost data and had no signal.

Ghaznavid

Well 8 days in and still no progress on the problem - so I have signed up with Webafrica and cancelled my Afrihost line.

It is a shame to see a once amazing ISP slipping like this.

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep

That's really not good to hear! :( Can you please Inbox me your details and I'll check what's going on!

Yuu

Executive Member
OP may need to enable roaming on the router. Many users were affected [i know some didn't need to enable this] but it did get them back on.

Login to web admin > settings > network settings IIRC and accept the warning [only applies to other providers who charge when roaming].

You should be back online then :)