Afrihost MTN Fixed LTE-A Thread

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
I can move around my Fixed LTE as long as it's in the same router when I activated it? As the gent above describes.
Or will my package still get locked if I move it around in the same router?
You cannot move it around. It's fixed at one location and one device (the ones I listed earlier)
  1. Huawei B525
  2. Huawei B612
  3. Huawei B618
  4. ZTE MF286

Daruk

Honorary Master
Just switched to Afrihost FLTE on MTN from Supersonic.
Interesting that the international bandwidth looks pretty good (London).
Local looks like it's being artifically throttled (perhaps by the destination server in this case - i'll test again). That line is dead straight
Local
1590066043099.png

London:
1590066066166.png

It's not going to light the sky up for me but hopefully it's consistent and their usage tracker is accurate. Going to reset my modem stats now.

Jake45

Expert Member
Have you tried putting the router in a different position? What router are you using? Are all the LTE bands switched on? I usually get better speeds than that on my B618 using just a single carrier and there are many other customers that get much better speeds than I do.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Have you tried putting the router in a different position? What router are you using? Are all the LTE bands switched on? I usually get better speeds than that on my B618 using just a single carrier and there are many other customers that get much better speeds than I do.
I'll try with 1800, 2100, 2300, 2100 with 1800 upload and 1800 with 2100 upload and report back. I have the Huwawei B612-233.
Hmm... seems the Huawei band tool doesn't work well with this model. I tried setting it to 1800Mhz using the tool and it switched to 2G in the UI.
This is all I see in the UI:
1590080103593.png

Right now signal looks like this:
1590080269540.png

Now to figure out where this tower is. I will take a walk around with the router tomorrow and see.

Last edited:

Jake45

Expert Member
Sorry to hear that you aren't getting the great speeds that many of us are. Maybe you could try here if you haven't done so already to see whether it gives you any useful information about the location of your tower.

I am able to connect at reduced speeds to the 900, 1800 and 2100 carriers individually using the Huawei B618 band tool. Currently I have all frequencies turned on - LTE_ALL.bat (800+900+1800+2100+2600+2600TDD) - which gives me the best speeds. I'm not sure when the new Covid-19 spectrum is coming online but I have not been able to connect to anything on 800 or 2600 or 2600TDD. My 618s-d22 does not support 700 or 2300MHz.

These are my signal stats - your stats appear to be much better?
RSRQ: -11dB
RSRP: -94dBm
SINR: -5dB

I don't see an RSSI figure on the Device Information page of my router.

You could try to look for a cheap secondhand Poynting or Otto antenna to see if that helps. I think that you are already too late if you want to downgrade your bandwidth package to a smaller bundle due to the lower speed as the cutoff date is the 15th - you would have to discuss that with Afrihost. It appears that if you change your bundle to a smaller one from the Client Zone you forfeit any roll over data!

bigboy529

Expert Member
I remember when signing up they said MTN fixed LTE is locked to a specific cell tower and my home address, is this still the case.
With lockdown I have to go work on a site on the other side of Pretoria just for a day, and I have to take along my own Internet. Would it work at another location?

Mobus

I remember when signing up they said MTN fixed LTE is locked to a specific cell tower and my home address, is this still the case.
With lockdown I have to go work on a site on the other side of Pretoria just for a day, and I have to take along my own Internet. Would it work at another location?
Nope. MTN will throw you off the network quick quick (speaking out of experience).
Worst still, if you take the router back home you will still be cut off and have to request a reset from the ISP (which in theory can only be done once a year for free).

Probably best to buy day bundles on your phone and just wifi/usb tether.