Afrihost service - hosting complaint

Hogrod

Expert Member
I'm posting the following open complaint due to lack of meaningful response from Afrihost support email,call centre, and no call back from a relevant department.

Dear Afrihost

I am the director of an online company which delivers online education and advice to its subscriber base. We have hosted our site for the past 18months with GoDaddy without any interruption of service.

This week we chose to migrate our site to Afrihost as we are focussed on the South African market and hosting in South Africa made sense.

However within 2 days you have suspended our domain and switched us off without any notification. Denying us access to our domains and database. When we call to ask what is happening we cannot get an answer other than it is to do with abuse.

This is not the quality of service we were expecting from Afrihost.
Due to your actions you have completely closed our business without any explanation or justification and deny us access to our clients and IPR.

I would like to know what you will do to rectify this extremely poor service in terms of compensation.

In speaking with Angel and others on your help desk, she said she did not see any cause for our site to be suspended for abuse so why has it been suspended?

I would appreciate hearing from Gian to understand how such an action could take place without any checks and balances on your part. Not only to switch off our service but to then have no point of escalation outside of normal business hours. This is very very poor on your part and I want to know what you will do to ensure it never happens again.

In short, I am livid.

I'm posting the following open complaint due to lack of meaningful response from Afrihost support email,call centre, and no call back from a relevant department.

Dear Afrihost

I am the director of an online company which delivers online education and advice to its subscriber base. We have hosted our site for the past 18months with GoDaddy without any interruption of service.

This week we chose to migrate our site to Afrihost as we are focussed on the South African market and hosting in South Africa made sense.

However within 2 days you have suspended our domain and switched us off without any notification. Denying us access to our domains and database. When we call to ask what is happening we cannot get an answer other than it is to do with abuse.

This is not the quality of service we were expecting from Afrihost.
Due to your actions you have completely closed our business without any explanation or justification and deny us access to our clients and IPR.

I would like to know what you will do to rectify this extremely poor service in terms of compensation.

In speaking with Angel and others on your help desk, she said she did not see any cause for our site to be suspended for abuse so why has it been suspended?

I would appreciate hearing from Gian to understand how such an action could take place without any checks and balances on your part. Not only to switch off our service but to then have no point of escalation outside of normal business hours. This is very very poor on your part and I want to know what you will do to ensure it never happens again.

In short, I am livid.
Earlier this week a client experienced exactly the same problem.

Out of the blue the website showed the suspended page. It stayed that way for about 20 minutes and was then fixed before they could lodge a complaint.

Also heard their servers here in SA are very, very slow, especially shared hosting.

I would be careful of moving a website to SA servers. Our technologies and experience are still light years behind overseas companies. Rather stay abroad - it does not make any impact on your website whether you host here or abroad. Abroad, at least you know your website is trusted in good and experienced hands.

Hogrod

Expert Member
It's now been 24 hours and no response from them.

We're having to move host to Web Africa because of this awful treatment we're getting form Afrihost. It's disgusting, we sent emails made phone calls, and Afriman is the only guy that made any attempt to find out but can't fix it (no fault of his own).

I'm appalled letting you all know this is the kind of attitude the abuse dept has towards legitimate business trying to invest in SA.

Hogrod

Expert Member
Earlier this week a client experienced exactly the same problem.

Out of the blue the website showed the suspended page. It stayed that way for about 20 minutes and was then fixed before they could lodge a complaint.

Also heard their servers here in SA are very, very slow, especially shared hosting.

I would be careful of moving a website to SA servers. Our technologies and experience are still light years behind overseas companies. Rather stay abroad - it does not make any impact on your website whether you host here or abroad. Abroad, at least you know your website is trusted in good and experienced hands.
Thanks we really want to keep it in SA, and be an SA based business. Is it possible when you have companies like Afrihost who don't give a **** if they ruin your name.

Hogrod

Expert Member
Update

The reason why our website hosting has been taken down is because, I in my personal capacity, made a claim on the uncapped product for a 60 day money back guarantee, due to issues on the IPC in Cape Town I could not get proper internet access. So I claimed because AH didn't, in my opinion, fulfil their guarantee.

As a result of this earlier claim, Warren N support manager has seen fit to blacklist all my hosting accounts attached to my ID number simply because of claiming on a promotion AH ran for their uncapped service. It appears once your claim you are no longer entitled to use any other products.

This is extremely unreasonable, and his decisions has cost us valuable income generated by our website. So thank you Warren N for providing the most unreasonable, disgusting service I've ever encountered. We'll be publishing the full correspondence on-line via various publications.

FFF4Skin

So i was reading this post... and I admit, I expected the worst first off... Afrihost... I had a spell of cold chills come over me like I just walked into a morgue and your online E-Class was another victim to Afrihost's outstanding performance for what seems to be the most of last year up to this point....

Then you said your switching to Web-Africa and I:

From here my notebook....

Please ask around before signing up with anyone...

PS: WA is like signing herpes for gonorrhoea

Last edited:

Hogrod

Expert Member
So i was reading this post... and I admit, I expected the worst first off... Afrihost... I had a spell of cold chills come over me like I just walked into a morgue and your online E-Class was another victim to Afrihost's outstanding performance for what seems to be the most of last year up to this point....

Then you said your switching to Web-Africa and I:

From here my notebook....

Please ask around before signing up with anyone...

PS: WA is like signing herpes for gonorrhoea
Lol, where do we go instead!? Any recommendations

bin3

We have gone over to https://www.hetzner.co.za/ -- pretty happy so far.

Our previous hosting provider (won't name names) used to block us from our own websites with the same 'abuse' type excuse.

So everybody else in the world could see our websites, except us, because when we access it, we are causing a security violation of some type ...

Tinuva

The Magician
The reason why our website hosting has been taken down is because, I in my personal capacity, made a claim on the uncapped product for a 60 day money back guarantee, due to issues on the IPC in Cape Town I could not get proper internet access. So I claimed because AH didn't, in my opinion, fulfil their guarantee.

As a result of this earlier claim, Warren N support manager has seen fit to blacklist all my hosting accounts attached to my ID number simply because of claiming on a promotion AH ran for their uncapped service. It appears once your claim you are no longer entitled to use any other products.

This is extremely unreasonable, and his decisions has cost us valuable income generated by our website. So thank you Warren N for providing the most unreasonable, disgusting service I've ever encountered. We'll be publishing the full correspondence on-line via various publications.
Woah...that is really messed up. Shame on them!

FFF4Skin

Well I have not tested that many shared hosting platforms as of late but I have experienced good service.
(Given based on cloud testing + Support + old XP)

Check out the following names && SLA's/AUP's since you run an online E-Class... I imagine its a 24/7 online kinda deal.

Hetzner: Whats to say... You know you want it... (Soon to be tested but from old XP always been #1 @ shared hosting)
Domains.co.za: Great service / Good support / Outstanding SLA
Hostking: Decent Service / Great at Shared-Hosting / Outstanding Support
Cybersmart: Great service / Very flexible / Support... Under-construction "I think"
Ocean Host: NO XP but check them out.
Domain Cheap: NO XP but check them out.
Elite Host: NO XP but check them out.

So far those are the shining stars. That actually do something to keep the little light of hope in our ****RY filled with cANCer... the ones without XP do not have my blessing though, so take it as hearsay...

Avoid the following names:

Telkom
Afriost
Web-Africa
Mweb

You're more than welcome to keep them if you enjoy the feeling of a greasy sex offender nearing your pockets and not even giving you a good service :/

In the end:

FFF4Skin

Only "Good Support"?
Thats unacceptable! where's my whip and tazer?
Hey hey hey... In all fairness... if I gave you even more compliments people would start questioning my objectivity ;)

But yeah I can certainly say that I only know of Dave at Domains.co.za. But if anyone there is as skilled as you Dave... Well then you would just be Hetzner in disguise o_O

FFF4Skin

@FFF4Skin, Please let me know where we going wrong as only Great Service & Great Support is acceptable.
xD

I never said you did... But I cannot with absolute certainty say 10/10... What if Dave decided to open a Salon and his new passion was hair and nails o_O

I will probably at some stage have more exposure to your support staff as one of my clients will sign up with you after seeing your VPS results ;)

Hogrod

Expert Member
xD

I never said you did... But I cannot with absolute certainty say 10/10... What if Dave decided to open a Salon and his new passion was hair and nails o_O

I will probably at some stage have more exposure to your support staff as one of my clients will sign up with you after seeing your VPS results ;)
Thread hijack :p
Don't forget Afrihost and Warren N (the general support manager) are useless!