All things Shelly

killerbyte

Expert Member
I'm an idiot
I have done 4 Shelly units at home/family.
I wired up our Shelly demo board.

I still consult wiring diagrams when I am installing one. Double check and triple check.

I blew up the first sample of the Dimmer 2 we got. That was a fun day in the office. This is why I now check and double check everything!

valiente

Just ordered some Shelly 1 & 1M devices.

I have a Garage door with a stupidly placed Light switch next to the Garage door - No way of turning the light on from anywhere else.

My idea is to open this switch, add a Shelly 1 which can then control the light (When Garage door is opened, Shelly Wifi Button)
I will place a Shelly Wifi button near the door that leads into the house (This button will also act as an opener for the Garage Door)

Now what will be the best way to wire it all and not lose functionality of the Light Switch?

valiente

Got a shelly installed on my Garage Door and the local experience is great...

But I have had endless problems with Shelly Cloud and Linking it to Google Assistant.
  • Shelly APP hardly EVER shows my Garage Door Online - Home Assistant and the IP Directly works no problems and Cloud is enabled
  • 1638947330468.png
  • 1638947491891.png

• Unable to add the switch to Google Assistant, when Linking Shelly Home Cloud it says I do not have any available devices
    • I suspect this is due to the first point...

• Updated to the latest firmware

Thus far the Installation and Local use is great, but the Cloud and Remote managing lacks a LOT compared to Sonoff...

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Got a shelly installed on my Garage Door and the local experience is great...

But I have had endless problems with Shelly Cloud and Linking it to Google Assistant.

• Unable to add the switch to Google Assistant, when Linking Shelly Home Cloud it says I do not have any available devices
    • I suspect this is due to the first point...

• Updated to the latest firmware

Thus far the Installation and Local use is great, but the Cloud and Remote managing lacks a LOT compared to Sonoff...

Which Shelly did you use?

Did you follow a guide or DIY?

Dolby

Honorary Master

I can only imagine that something else is wrong that is causing your issue? I used Sonoff for 3 years and the Shelly for a year and there's really no comparison for me. Shelly just feels levels ahead in terms of most things.

Faulty device maybe? Have you got the new Shelly app that was launched a few days back? What is the latest FW you have? And what WiFi signal are you getting?

There's real support with Shelly - a proper ticketing system. Try pop to their page and submit a ticket

Tinuva

The Magician
I think he has something that blocks the shelly from connecting to the internet. wierd dns or some filtering for unknown connections on his router. Pihole for all we know. Need more detail to really know.

If it works 100% local, its something with the internet specific part that is wierd.

valiente

I think he has something that blocks the shelly from connecting to the internet. wierd dns or some filtering for unknown connections on his router. Pihole for all we know. Need more detail to really know.

If it works 100% local, its something with the internet specific part that is wierd.
I can only imagine that something else is wrong that is causing your issue? I used Sonoff for 3 years and the Shelly for a year and there's really no comparison for me. Shelly just feels levels ahead in terms of most things.

Faulty device maybe? Have you got the new Shelly app that was launched a few days back? What is the latest FW you have? And what WiFi signal are you getting?

There's real support with Shelly - a proper ticketing system. Try pop to their page and submit a ticket

I do have AdGuard (Pi-Hole) But I am well versed with my network and nothing from Shelly is being blocked.
I have also tried with disabling it and still the same result. I tried other DNS as well and still same issues.

From all the FAQ and other debugging I found they say to verify the Cloud, Wifi and Time:
1639040569540.png

Green Cloud is connected to Cloud
Wifi Signal is excellent @ WiFi RSSI: -30 dBm
Time is retrieved from google: 11:02

1639040588015.png

I have tried Old App, New App (Beta), https://my.shelly.cloud, https://home.shelly.cloud

They all show the same thing:
1639040649571.png

1639040660635.png

I will try the ticketing system and see what they can tell me.

Thanks

JibbersCrabst

I have a similar issue. Also did DIY Shelly 1 install onto my garage door.

When I open the app (even on local) it takes like 3 min to come online in the app. Extremely frustrating and hardly using it at the moment because if it.

neoprema

Executive Member
All my Shelly's are connected to HomeBridge for Siri so I turned off cloud.

The only problem I have is I normally have to "adopt" the device at least 2-3 times before it will accept and connect to my Wi-Fi network. But once done they work fine.

valiente

I have a similar issue. Also did DIY Shelly 1 install onto my garage door.

When I open the app (even on local) it takes like 3 min to come online in the app. Extremely frustrating and hardly using it at the moment because if it.
I managed to find a workaround.

Home Assistant can discover my devices and control them - via local IP Address
Then I configured Home Assistant Cloud to expose HA entities
Then in Google Home, I add Home Assistant Cloud and can access my devices remotely and via Google within the house.

Commands like
  • "Is the Garage Door Open" - Responds with "The Garage door is Open/Closed"
  • "Close the Garage" - This is a simple trigger, thus if it is closed already, the door will open (Still want to add some kind of check to the specific Command)
  • "Open the Garage" - Same as above

They all work and so far happy with the workaround

Only problem is that Home Assistant Cloud has a monthly cost...

Dolby

Honorary Master

Are you on the Shelly Support Facebook page?

Someone has just asked about the red / green line colours on the new app that appear under the power buttons. The answer is the input (on or off).

But this comment caught my eye with a garage install and thought it should be quite useful

'I have it on my garage door to indicate if it's open or closed. Shelly1 detached switch'
Screenshot_20211210_053305_com.facebook.katana.jpg

valiente

Are you on the Shelly Support Facebook page?

Someone has just asked about the red / green line colours on the new app that appear under the power buttons. The answer is the input (on or off).

But this comment caught my eye with a garage install and thought it should be quite useful

'I have it on my garage door to indicate if it's open or closed. Shelly1 detached switch'
View attachment 1210186
I am part of the Facebook group yes...

Indeed I have mine setup the same way, red means garage door is closed, green is open.
a2591dde8ad2d324e752924ad95eb456.jpg

But the new app actually doesn't change the state...
Also since I have this switch setup as inching, I switch it on and it goes off after 1 second, the App also doesn't register that...

I completely deleted the app and restarted my phone then did a reinstall and it mostly works now after 10 seconds of opening the app...

Dolby

Honorary Master
Glad it works for you

My app isn't so laggy though - those input changes are near instant for me

valiente

How ridiculous is this...

So slow and doesn't ever update the state or that the switch went off automatically...