Alleged serial rapist kills himself

intel8080

Banned
Sifiso Makhubo was found dead in his
cell by police, eNCA reporter Karyn
Maughan tweeted.The 42-year-old had been expected to plead to 122 charges . . WTF Am I reading right? One hundred and twenty two charges?

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/alleged-serial-rapist-kills-himself-1.1552444

Gauteng Rape Accused Commits Suicide

A man accused of raping 34 children and two women has committed suicide, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said.

"We have received documentation from the prison officials that the suspect will not appear in court because he is dead," said NPA spokeswoman Phindi Louw.

The 42-year-old man was to have appeared on 122 charges in the High Court in Johannesburg, sitting in the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court, on Thursday. It was not known when he committed suicide.

The charges included counts of rape, kidnapping, murder, robbery and attempted murder by infecting his victims with HIV.

The crimes took place in the Kathorus area during 2006.

He was arrested in 2011.

Source : Sapa /gm/tk/clh
Date : 25 Jul 2013 10:22

Last edited by a moderator:

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Alleged serial rapist kills himself

July 25 2013 at 10:09am
Comment on this story
Copy of IOL prison bars
AFP
Johannesburg - A man accused of raping 34 minors and two women has killed himself just minutes before his appearance in a court in Johannesburg on Thursday morning, according to reports.

Sifiso Makhubo was found dead in his cell by police, eNCA reporter Karyn Maughan tweeted.

"We have received documentation from the prison officials that the suspect will not appear in court because he is dead," said NPA spokeswoman Phindi Louw.

The 42-year-old had been expected to plead to 122 charges against him in the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court on Thursday, according to the National Prosecuting Authority.

The charges ranged from rape, kidnapping, murder, and robbery to attempted murder through HIV-infection.

The crimes took place in Kathorus, east of Johannesburg, between 2006 and 2011, when the man was arrested. - Sapa and IOL
You see even he believed in the death penalty, setting a good example to others out there.

Give that man a Bells with a rope attached and laced with poison just in case he cant tie a knot - Oh good too late.

greg0205

Honorary Master
The thing about this case that really annoyed me this morning has nothing to do with Makhubo being found dead... Rather, according to ENCA, the state were expected to make application to be allowed to use his previous convictions as evidence in this case??!! WTF! Apparently, previous convictions for murder and rape are inadmissible in a current murder and rape case! Who signed off on that piece of BS?

Rocket Raccoon

Executive Member
The thing about this case that really annoyed me this morning has nothing to do with Makhubo being found dead... Rather, according to ENCA, the state were expected to make application to be allowed to use his previous convictions as evidence in this case??!! WTF! Apparently, previous convictions for murder and rape are inadmissible in a current murder and rape case! Who signed off on that piece of BS?
Dafuq?

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
I can't wrap my mind around going out and actively looking for people to rape or spending your time planning and plotting to do so. Other than being a heinous crime it seems like such a waste of time.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Police Inquest into Prison Death

Police have opened an inquest docket after a man accused of raping 34 children and two women committed suicide in his prison cell, a prison official said on Thursday.

"The Mondeor police are investigating following his death in his cell. He was staying in a single cell, as he was a high risk offender," said Gauteng correctional services spokesman Ofentswe Morwane.

Sifiso Makhubu, 42, was to have appeared on 122 charges in the High Court in Johannesburg, sitting in the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court, on Thursday.

However, he hanged himself with a piece of blanket on Wednesday night. He was being held at Johannesburg prison, also known as Sun City.

"Prison officials found him hanging in his cell this morning [Thursday] when they went to fetch him to take him to court," said Morwane

The charges he faced included rape, kidnapping, murder, robbery, and attempted murder by infecting his victims with HIV. The crimes took place in the Kathorus area, in Vosloorus, during 2006.

He was arrested in 2011.

Source : Sapa /gm/hdw/th/clh
Date : 25 Jul 2013 11:53 OrigID : LP260754

Celine

Executive Member
:wtf: and if it was a relative of yours who had been murdered or raped at the hands of this mad man?

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
:wtf: and if it was a relative of yours who had been murdered or raped at the hands of this mad man?
You dont get what Greg was saying.

They are saying, previous convictions of rape cannot be used in a new rape trial. So basically, the prosecution wanted to be able to say, this guy was convicted of rape before, and he is being charged with rape now. From his previous convictions, we know he is a rapist.

greg0205

Honorary Master
My point exactly. If he'd been convicted of a similar crime previously I'd want, no, I'd expect that to presented as evidence to prove he's habitual. According to ENCA this morning 'tho, that's not the case here and that was the point of my post.
Oh, and if you're wondering, I won't be loosing a moment's sleep over this animal's suicide.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Hmm, doesn't sound right. Either ENCA is mistaken or there's some miscommunication. Previous convictions get used all the time, if not in the trial itself, then at sentencing. You can't say that because he raped before that means he's guilty of this rape, but character evidence/previous convictions will always form part of the overall trial. If a psychologist is asked to testify as an expert witness about this person, what are they going to do? Ignore everything that happened before the alleged events? Makes no sense.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Hmm, doesn't sound right. Either ENCA is mistaken or there's some miscommunication. Previous convictions get used all the time, if not in the trial itself, then at sentencing. You can't say that because he raped before that means he's guilty of this rape, but character evidence/previous convictions will always form part of the overall trial. If a psychologist is asked to testify as an expert witness about this person, what are they going to do? Ignore everything that happened before the alleged events? Makes no sense.
Trying to find the clip now... Nearly had coffee all over my TV screen this morning when I watched it.

aqua02

I think the title should read, "alleged murderer kills himself" or am I wrong

blunomore

Honorary Master
In law, it is perfectly acceptable that previous convictions may not be used as evidence.

Why? Because the legal principle is that each case must be judged on its own merit.

For example: Let's say 10 years ago you were found guilty of a crime. Now, ten years later, you are charged with another crime that you DID NOT commit. Would you want your previous conviction to be used against you? Of course not.

Previous convictions may however, be used by the prosecution as an aggravating factor when a sentence is imposed. That is why, when the defense outlines mitigating factors, you will regularly hear them bring up the fact that someone is a first-time offender. That definitely counts in your favour.