Alternative to Hamachi for Virtual LAN gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Chill

Hamachi does not seem to connect directly to each other, it routes through a server in london causing any games to have 300+ms ping.
Either there is a setting I am missing or no actual solution. What I want to do is make my PC the host for the server and have friends connect to it and play LAN games.

Does a true peer to peer server exist or can is possible to host on my PC?

Thanks

Hellhound105

Executive Member
Hamachi does not seem to connect directly to each other, it routes through a server in london causing any games to have 300+ms ping.
Either there is a setting I am missing or no actual solution. What I want to do is make my PC the host for the server and have friends connect to it and play LAN games.

Does a true peer to peer server exist or can is possible to host on my PC?

Thanks

Buy a cheap Mikrotik. Has VPN functionality.
Then the friend with the best upload can host the Mikrotik

HerZeLeiD

Haven't used it recently but we used to use Tunngle and never had issues (unless you didn't open the proper ports). It connects directly so pings should be perfect. Another one we used a few times is GameRanger which was also working well. Last thing I used for this was https://www.zerotier.com/. Once you set this up you will have a permanent Virtual LAN setup and won't have to touch anything ever again.

No Chill

Haven't used it recently but we used to use Tunngle and never had issues (unless you didn't open the proper ports). It connects directly so pings should be perfect. Another one we used a few times is GameRanger which was also working well. Last thing I used for this was https://www.zerotier.com/. Once you set this up you will have a permanent Virtual LAN setup and won't have to touch anything ever again.

Alright here's my experience so far.

Wippien: Able to connect to friends PC, chat works fine. However, the ping option is missing and we show up as offline.
Softether: I can't set up a server, upon using the server creator, it fails on the first step and gives a "connection to the server failed" on the setup menu.
Zerotier: The zerotier service does not work, it starts up and immediately (not the app but the background service) closes after a few seconds, works on my old laptop but not my PC for some odd reason.

Freelan is the only one I have not given a shot yet, will try now.

This has been the most painful experience trying to set-up.

No Chill

After tons of pure pain I managed to get a Softether server up and running, but now I can't seem to get this onto the internet. Port checker shows that the ports are closed, and I have no idea what ports to enter on my router. I've messed around for a long time and ports still show up as closed. What exactly am I doing wrong?

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Which LTE provider are you with?

If Vodacom, you will need to get them to unblock incoming connections.

If MTN, it will only work if you're on contract and you need to use the unrestricted APN.

siNz_ZA

I'm just going to join in on this thread as you're am not alone on this. Literally needed to start fixing this tonight so lets solve this eh?
I literally have friends all over SA busy trying to figure this crap out so we can just finally game without BS.

So far bud, don't give up on your hamachi just yet and funny enough, there's always a solution. What I can recommend is to port forwarding through your router. I'm playing around with some info and router WAN settings to port forward following some guides online (I'll share the youtube link, maybe it will work for you). Only problem is that I'm with telkom directly and I really... REALLY hope I'm coming right with this router from hell.

Maybe we will catch some more attention from Devs that feel like they can solve this puzzle xD!

Ok so.. Link to Hamachi relayed tunnel fix guide:
I will let you know if I get a direct tunnel (green colour next to name) on hamachi or if I'm still in the pits of an relayed tunnel (Cyan colour) of Satan worshipers with an ms of 300 - 500.

I already did all the research with regards to allowing hamachi through firewalls and more... as hamachi works well with my cell c wifi setup with direct tunneling, but I don't want it on my cell c router, I want it on my 100mb up 40mb down telkom wifi that I literally just got at the beginning of August.

Let's try and solve this so it might help others out there with the same problem.

siNz_ZA

I'd like to confirm that the port forwarding was a success and I have a direct tunnel. Let me know your status
-If not working then you host a server and let your mates join yours. Try sample that if you did not come right.

Last edited:

siNz_ZA

If all else fails, an ultimate solution would then be (which a mate of mine discovered today) using Parsec:

No Chill

I'd like to confirm that the port forwarding was a success and I have a direct tunnel. Let me know your status
-If not working then you host a server and let your mates join yours. Try sample that if you did not come right.
Unfortunately rain seems to disable incoming connections and dont have an unrestricted APN

No Chill

All of my friends are on rain due to affordability so the only real solution is to find a Softether server thats hosted in SA by someone not using RAIN, for now though we've been playing some turn based strategies at 400 ms :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.