AMD GPUs are outselling Nvidia

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
AMD GPUs are outselling Nvidia

A report by Jon Peddie Research (JPR) has found that AMD sold more PC graphics cards than Intel did in the fourth quarter of 2019.

According to the research, AMD shipments increased by 22.6%, while Nvidia's decreased by 1.9%.

_TrXtR_

Because if you want the fastest card AMD hasn't had and still don't have anything to compete at the top end.

That's all good and all in a race. When buying time comes paying double the amount for a product that's slightly faster does not make sense.

Swa

Honorary Master
A report by Jon Peddie Research (JPR) has found that AMD sold more PC graphics cards than Intel did in the fourth quarter of 2019.
:confused:

Qrox

Expert Member
That's all good and all in a race. When buying time comes paying double the amount for a product that's slightly faster does not make sense.

Its not that Nvidia were slightly ahead, they were miles ahead of AMD.
The gap is getting smaller, but AMD still don't have anything to challenge Nvidia in the high end market.
At the end of the year I'm getting the best card I can afford and I'm not expecting AMD to bring anything stronger than Nvidia has out before then.

Crowley

Executive Member
Tell that to all the people who insist on buying Intel CPU's.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

AMD has nothing close to the RTX 2080 Ti. High-end gamers have no choice but Nvidia.

Fortunately, my monitor is 1440p and only 60Hz, on account of being a professional monitor that focuses on colour accuracy, so something like the Radeon RX 5700 XT is perfect for me.

I say something like, because I'll wait for the next round of AMD cards before upgrading. I don't expect to have time for games for a while anyway.

Mogo

Let's not mention those with a 2080ti only to game at 1080p 60hz..

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
And to add, Nvidia Gamestream.
Well, AMD does have Link and it is slowly making progress. I have a idea that Nvidia is going to shake up the market with their next series. Currently they are already competing a bit too tightly with AMD in the entry to mid tiers. I doubt that there will be any price reduction with their halo products, unless AMD gets something out sooner than later.

stefan9

Executive Member

Not slightly faster, quite a bit faster. AMD has nothing to remotely compete with the 2080ti, a card that is a year and half old. Big Navi will need to make a massive leap for AMD to be back in the conversation. Especially with NV releasing their 7nm cards this year.

Thor

Honorary Master
Its not that Nvidia were slightly ahead, they were miles ahead of AMD.
The gap is getting smaller, but AMD still don't have anything to challenge Nvidia in the high end market.
At the end of the year I'm getting the best card I can afford and I'm not expecting AMD to bring anything stronger than Nvidia has out before then.
The high end market is niche.

AMD offers better value for money for 99% of PC users.

Let Nvidia go chase the research institutions.

Thor

Honorary Master
Not slightly faster, quite a bit faster. AMD has nothing to remotely compete with the 2080ti, a card that is a year and half old. Big Navi will need to make a massive leap for AMD to be back in the conversation. Especially with NV releasing their 7nm cards this year.
99% of PC users don't need the 2080ti (I say that as a EVGA 2080ti user)

stefan9

Executive Member
The high end trickles down to the lower end. Having the fastest card works fantastically for marketing.