Amobia internet - Stay away

bemusedpenguin

In Oct of 2015 Amobia uncapped became one of the worst products you can purchase. After a normal week of usage downloading PS Plus games, a few discounted ones, Netflix and YouTube. I was "shaped" and my connection reduced from 3Mbs to less than 512Kbs. Today is the 11th of December and I have only had at best a week and a half of usable internet since Oct. I'll be terminating this service which I have had for 3 years and it was quite reliable. From my understanding they had some management change and have started implementing new policies like this vicious attack on the internet. 2016 - Site survey and I'm out. :mad:

Actual email I get sent before the switch off my internet:

Dear Amobia Client

We want to ensure the best possible experience for our customers by managing the quality of our network. We monitor the usage on our network and make sure that customers are not abusing certain defined parameters. This is in line with our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).

Your usage has has exceeded these parameters. We will enforce our AUP after 1 October 2015, and should you continue to show excessive usage patterns, and therefore exceed these parameters, you will experience slower connection speeds (while we manage your bandwidth usage). As soon as your usage patterns stabilise your connection speeds will return to normal.

Status Info:
- Account: bemusedpenguin@amobia.co.za
- Package speed: 3MB
- Current monthly max usage: 300GB*
- Current AUP rolling window: 10 Days*
- Current rolling window usage threshold: 100GB*
- Your usage in current rolling window: 114.46GB
- You have exceeded the threshold by: 14.46GB
* Please note these values are not fixed and can be changed depending on network availability

Here are some tips to avoid excessive usage:
- Don't leave your connection running all day (downloading heavy content);
- Know who is using your Internet connection and make sure it's secure;
- Or, upgrade your package to accommodate your higher data usage.

Kind Regards,
Amobia Support

This might seem excessive to some however for the last 3 years this has been my usage pattern so in actual fact its normal usage. The only good thing to come out of this is my household is full of gamers and we're catching up on our backlog of unplayed, unfinished games :)

If there is someone from Amobia here please look into this, you already charge a lot of money for the service but the shaping is draconian and frankly just messed up. How about shape during the day? Shape torrents which no one even downloads in my house! Or just leave it like it was, it worked! I recommended people! My neighbours have internet because you were actually good and I recommended you dammit!

-Bemusedpenguin

MDKza

Just some input on this.
I warned people about these guys almost a year ago.
STAY AWAY!

onaz

In Oct of 2015 Amobia uncapped became one of the worst products you can purchase. After a normal week of usage downloading PS Plus games, a few discounted ones, Netflix and YouTube. I was "shaped" and my connection reduced from 3Mbs to less than 512Kbs. Today is the 11th of December and I have only had at best a week and a half of usable internet since Oct. I'll be terminating this service which I have had for 3 years and it was quite reliable. From my understanding they had some management change and have started implementing new policies like this vicious attack on the internet. 2016 - Site survey and I'm out. :mad:

Actual email I get sent before the switch off my internet:

Dear Amobia Client

We want to ensure the best possible experience for our customers by managing the quality of our network. We monitor the usage on our network and make sure that customers are not abusing certain defined parameters. This is in line with our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).

Your usage has has exceeded these parameters. We will enforce our AUP after 1 October 2015, and should you continue to show excessive usage patterns, and therefore exceed these parameters, you will experience slower connection speeds (while we manage your bandwidth usage). As soon as your usage patterns stabilise your connection speeds will return to normal.

Status Info:
- Account: bemusedpenguin@amobia.co.za
- Package speed: 3MB
- Current monthly max usage: 300GB*
- Current rolling window usage threshold: 100GB*
- Your usage in current rolling window: 114.46GB
- You have exceeded the threshold by: 14.46GB
* Please note these values are not fixed and can be changed depending on network availability

Here are some tips to avoid excessive usage:
- Don't leave your connection running all day (downloading heavy content);
- Know who is using your Internet connection and make sure it's secure;
- Or, upgrade your package to accommodate your higher data usage.

Kind Regards,
Amobia Support

This might seem excessive to some however for the last 3 years this has been my usage pattern so in actual fact its normal usage. The only good thing to come out of this is my household is full of gamers and we're catching up on our backlog of unplayed, unfinished games :)

If there is someone from Amobia here please look into this, you already charge a lot of money for the service but the shaping is draconian and frankly just messed up. How about shape during the day? Shape torrents which no one even downloads in my house! Or just leave it like it was, it worked! I recommended people! My neighbours have internet because you were actually good and I recommended you dammit!

-Bemusedpenguin

same boat

- Package speed: 4MB
- Current monthly max usage: 400GB*
- Current rolling window usage threshold: 133.33GB*
- Your usage in current rolling window: 149.6GB
- You have exceeded the threshold by: 16.27GB

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
So glad I left them. Bloody useless lot. They can't even answer a simple email.

bemusedpenguin

http://imgur.com/xVWmR96 - Actual speedtest.
http://imgur.com/J8LzJRq - Another actual speedtest.
Was reading on another thread, seems there is an Amobia rep around here. So if you do get around to reading this, you guys need to understand that there is a difference between abuse, heavy usage and actual usage. It would be great if you could actually provide us with capped data accounts that aren't priced like its 2008. I would gladly pay for a 500Gb data account that would allow me to use the internet how I like to use it - filled with HD streaming and all the games downloads I can afford. Its not abuse neither is it heavy usage its just regular usage for my house.

access

Executive Member
do any of these ISP's know and understand what a synonym is?

AUP should not allow them to disregard what their marketing says.

uncapped is uncapped, your logical line speed limit per month for the whole month, it means without restriction or obstruction or limitation, it is uncapped, the top/cap/ceiling has been removed. not to funnel when a limitation is reached.

if the FF+ wants something to go after, this uncapped marketing rubbish would be great.

bemusedpenguin

So Friday night after posting this I resigned myself to looking for another wisp and spending the holidays with no internets. I sent my cancellation email as well. On Saturday morning internets were up and running at normal speeds, I'm afraid to resume my games/patches downloads. I have been able to watch Hulu/Netflix at least. Was getting the shakes. No sure if they did it only because I want to cancel or what the deal is really but I think to avoid getting burned further, I shall cancel and move on. Can't be living a life where you watch your back every time you're online.

onaz

So Friday night after posting this I resigned myself to looking for another wisp and spending the holidays with no internets. I sent my cancellation email as well. On Saturday morning internets were up and running at normal speeds, I'm afraid to resume my games/patches downloads. I have been able to watch Hulu/Netflix at least. Was getting the shakes. No sure if they did it only because I want to cancel or what the deal is really but I think to avoid getting burned further, I shall cancel and move on. Can't be living a life where you watch your back every time you're online.
Yea mine is also working fine back to normal after sending my cancellation email. The thing is i have already installed another connection with another company and at this time i am running both Amobia and the new WISP, just using amobia for streaming youtube to my tv as well as mobile devices.

williamk

Irrespective of the GB used - uncapped is uncapped. It's a time based service - if you have available bandwidth at this point in time, then you have it. If you don't you don't. Hence throttling and over "use" is a bull**** argument - always has been always will be.

Question now is - who else can one use?

Wasabee!

Expert Member
From first hand dealings, I think that Amobia is the wireless Openweb...

breacher

Irrespective of the GB used - uncapped is uncapped. It's a time based service - if you have available bandwidth at this point in time, then you have it. If you don't you don't. Hence throttling and over "use" is a bull**** argument - always has been always will be.

Question now is - who else can one use?
Called 1:1 (dedicated) bandwidth, and it's quite pricey unfortunately

mr_norris

Expert Member
AfriHost Business Uncapped. Not their home accounts, you want business. From what I remember, business accounts are only R100 more than home accounts. No shaping, no throttling.

That is my own personal experience with them.

The only reason I left them was because I got an ISP account from work to use. If it wasn't for that, I'd be with AH still.

Scary_Turtle

From first hand dealings, I think that Amobia is the wireless Openweb...
I dunno I think they may be worse because of the non-existent support, the two week turn around time on a fault and the 4 hours a day outages at the tower.

The only good feeling I ever got from Amobia was the day I left!!!!