The United States is now winning the war that two years ago seemed lost.
Limited, sometimes sharp fighting and periodic terrorist bombings in Iraq are likely to continue, possibly for years. But the Iraqi government and the U.S. now are able to shift focus from mainly combat to mainly building the fragile beginnings of peace — a transition that many found almost unthinkable as recently as one year ago.
Despite the occasional bursts of violence, Iraq has reached the point where the insurgents, who once controlled whole cities, no longer have the clout to threaten the viability of the central government.
That does not mean the war has ended or that U.S. troops have no role in Iraq. It means the combat phase finally is ending, years past the time when President Bush optimistically declared it had. The new phase focuses on training the Iraqi army and police, restraining the flow of illicit weaponry from Iran, supporting closer links between Baghdad and local governments, pushing the integration of former insurgents into legitimate government jobs and assisting in rebuilding the economy.
Scattered battles go on, especially against al-Qaida holdouts north of Baghdad. But organized resistance, with the steady drumbeat of bombings, kidnappings, assassinations and ambushes that once rocked the capital daily, has all but ceased
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jzxqARN0Huv38n5pgDfdBRwuoiZgD925HT7G0
U.S. combat deaths in Iraq plunge in July
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - The number of U.S. soldiers killed in combat in Iraq has dropped sharply in July and the monthly total is likely to be the lowest since the U.S.-led invasion of the country in 2003.
Five U.S. soldiers have been killed in combat in Iraq so far in July compared to 66 in the same month last year, according to the independent website icasualties.org, which keeps records of U.S. military losses in the conflict.
The drop underscores the dramatic fall in violence in Iraq to lows not seen since early 2004.
Seeking to build on those gains, tens of thousands of Iraqi soldiers and police launched a major operation against Sunni Islamist al Qaeda in northeastern Diyala province on Tuesday.
Al Qaeda has sought to stoke tensions in Diyala, its only haven close to Baghdad. A Reuters witness said forces had deployed throughout the provincial capital Baquba.
Security forces imposed a vehicle curfew and searched homes for weapons and wanted militants. Most shops were closed.
The U.S. combat death toll in July is down from 23 in June and 15 in May, the icasualties.org data showed.
The fall comes as Iraqi forces have taken the lead in major security operations. The U.S. military this month also withdrew the last of five extra combat brigades that were sent to Iraq last year to drag the country back from civil war
Not won yet but I'm getting that "I told you so" feeling again