Android versus Apple iOS

Yalta

Depends on what suits your lifestyle and taste.

I myself have the SGS but my next phone will be an iPhone. Due to me getting a Mac a few months ago and to sync all my stuff together, and from what ive seen i like the iOS.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
There really is not a "last man standing" shootout happening here. Instead of "or" we should think "and". There is enough room for both. I use both and like both; each for different reasons. Competition is good.

QNX, WP and others are welcome too. The more the merrier.

rockNsurf

There really is not a "last man standing" shootout happening here. Instead of "or" we should think "and". There is enough room for both. I use both and like both; each for different reasons. Competition is good.

True. Plus, the diversity keeps driving the technology to greater heights. Win/Win.

smokey

Honorary Master
I can't stand the iPhone, but oddly enough I love using the iPod Touch. iOS isn't bad, but I use it for what it is... a closed system. that means it's great for games - not that great as a smartphone (at least for my uses).

Brenden_E

Executive Member
This is why i'm getting a distaste for companies like Apple and Microsoft. They hold back innovation and when they lose to a competitor, they resort to dirty tactics. Google will outgrow them both, just watch.

wayfarer

Expert Member

I totally agree. I'm an Android person myself (it powered my first and only smartphone, and people often support what they know, until circumstances cause them to taste another variety, and they can then make a better comparison...). But I hate monopolies and limited choices, so yes, the more the merrier.

system32

Expert Member
Patent wars

Instead of competing on technical merits, MS, Apple and Google are using the broken software patent system to go after Linux/Android.

They are all violating software patents - heck the linked list is patented:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=Szh4AAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract.

Apple is using "Arrange Icons as a grid" to after Samsung - for which prior art exists

Oracles java patents have been mostly cut down from 20 to 4 and from 6.1B to 100m

MS coerces smaller players into signing, but has a NDA in place to prevent the Linux community from removing any infringing code.
The supposed NDA MS patents have not been tested in court as none of the smaller players have the funds.

MS and Apple have inferior products and are unable to compete with GNU Linux, so they use the broken software patent system to slow down Linux/Android.

eltherza

Expert Member
America needs to review its patent laws. How can something patent 20 years ago even be viable in todays world?

What really should be shunned and fined is people using patents to get rich quick, remember the ps3 vibrating controller patent? Why wasnt that brought to attention in the ps2 when it first came out? Patents are being used to make a quick buck or to stamp out the competition when they get to big.

And with Americas currency in trouble, now is not the best time to be scaring off business over patent suits.

vzta22

All companies turn into bullies when they become big. Google is no saint in this case either, despite what others may think from the mobile perspective.
The question is, why would any company allow a competitor to overtake its leading position by stealing its patents? If this kind of situation is tolerated to increase competition, it will simply lead to less innovation. Charging these companies loyalties or anything to that effect for stealing patents will teach them not to steal or to reduce stealing and become more innovative themselves. In fact, they are lucky to get away with fines as opposed to being ordered to remove the stolen patented features which could mean delays in product launches. I am for MS and Apple's defence of their ideas despite what others think.

K

kingrob

Whatever works for you.

Graphic designers will swear by Mac OS, while I use my pc more for entertainment and want my blu-ray drive, PowerDVD 11 Ultra & 3D display.

Competition is always good and drives innovation = win for the users.

nalu

America f#$k yeah! Apple will simply go back to being niche and their innovation will be diluted. Steve Jobs is a ****. Objective c is so modern right now.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
One thing that might happen and will mark doom for US phones is if Handset manufacturers start forking Android into US and World versions. The problem is that the patients are software related and only applicable in the USA.

or even worse, they resort to selling phones without an OS. As android is Open Source the People like apple cant charge HTC anything if the users download and install it themselves.

Last edited:

system32

Expert Member
The question is, why would any company allow a competitor to overtake its leading position by stealing its patents? If this kind of situation is tolerated to increase competition, it will simply lead to less innovation. Charging these companies loyalties or anything to that effect for stealing patents will teach them not to steal or to reduce stealing and become more innovative themselves. In fact, they are lucky to get away with fines as opposed to being ordered to remove the stolen patented features which could mean delays in product launches. I am for MS and Apple's defence of their ideas despite what others think.

Anonymous Coward Wrote:
"Patents are a tradeoff.
They protect the inventor while encouraging them to disclose their techniques.
Thus, the inventor gets something (a government protected monopoly for a limited period),
and society gets something (access to the details of the technology)

The problem is that for almost all software patents,
a monopoly is being granted for details we did not actually need to know,
because they are obvious to anyone 'skilled in the art'. Or even 'unskilled in the finger daubing'.
The value of the monopoly is much, much, greater than the value of the information we're getting."

Last edited:

Elimentals

Honorary Master
All companies turn into bullies when they become big. Google is no saint in this case either, despite what others may think from the mobile perspective.

You obviously have no clue what Software patients are about. Everywhere else in the world software protection fall only under copyright, with odd exceptions.

Example think of Software as a Book. If someone could patient the idea of a story in space, every time someone write a story that happens in space you would have to pay that person x amount. That is how they use it, and note there is a difference to copy someones work word for word vs writing a story that is almost the same.

Feel free to read about the debate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_patent_debate#Arguments_against_patentability

Hardware patients is a different story and I have no problem with that.

greg0205

Honorary Master

Can I get an Amen? Lest you all forget, it wasn't so long ago that Symbian on a Nokia N70 was a really slick OS on a really slick phone, and remember your Palm just a little before that? Whether you like it or not, the iPhone in '07 and Apple's App Store in '08 changed that. Take a loving look at your Droid or Windows phone right now... what do you think it would have be like if Apple hadn't upped the smartphone game just five short years ago?
Oh, and before we get into a: "Well, you know, Android was the first to blah, blah, blah...", it's Dollars that count... If there wasn't a market for great smartphones and apps, Apple, Samsung, HTC, Motorola and the rest wouldn't be bothering to make their handsets better and faster... 'nuff said.

This is why i'm getting a distaste for companies like Apple and Microsoft. They hold back innovation and when they lose to a competitor, they resort to dirty tactics. Google will outgrow them both, just watch.

Hold back innovation? Not sure I agree. Still using a PDA? Still using a stylus? Still using a navigation device? How 'bout tracking a lost or stolen phone? How 'bout remote access to your computer from your phone? How 'bout Office, how 'bout music, how 'bout YouTube, how 'bout HD video, how 'bout HD games, how 'bout MyBB... all on your phone? That's what I've been up to on my phone recently but I could go on and on and on.
I don't think we'd have all of these IOS vs. Android threads if there wasn't so much innovation going on that people's phones have become so personal and indispensable that they've become a reason to war in a tech forum... Just saying.

Apple is a bully that is scared of android

Haters gonna hate... In the last couple of months Apple has become the most valuable tech company in the world, more valuable than Microsoft and Intel combined. In the last quarter they shipped more smartphones than Nokia... Scared indeed.
It always seems to me that a couple of fandroids missed the economics lesson where the lecturer pointed out that if you ship an inferior product and back it up with poor service you will fail. Apple are doing something very right. Like it, don't like it... If you took the time to click on a couple of the links from the story in the original post you'd have seen the PCMag story where, in a survey, 48% of people asked were planning to buy an iPhone as their next phone. 46% preferred IOS while 32% shouted for Android. 70% were "very satisfied" with their iPhones while 50% were "very satisfied" with their droid... I guess it's that old - everyone on the planet who doesn't like what I like must be stupid/evil/can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me - thingie. So sad... Link: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388653,00.asp

vzta22

You obviously have no clue what Software patients are about. Everywhere else in the world software protection fall only under copyright, with odd exceptions.

Example think of Software as a Book. If someone could patient the idea of a story in space, every time someone write a story that happens in space you would have to pay that person x amount. That is how they use it, and note there is a difference to copy someones work word for word vs writing a story that is almost the same.

Feel free to read about the debate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_patent_debate#Arguments_against_patentability

Hardware patients is a different story and I have no problem with that.

I will not claim to be an expert in patents but I'm not clueless about patents either. From what you have said, unless I'm mistaken, patents and copyrights are the same but I disagree with you. Your reference to software copyright is across elsewhere in the world but this is USA we are talking about which recognises software patents as opposed to software copyright. If one breaks the law, they have to pay for it, it's as simple as that. Android phone manufacturers are free to sell their products anywhere in the world but USA if they wish to avoid that conflict of interest. Based on what the USA says about patents, I still remain in support of Apple and MS in that market until they revise their laws.
Thanks for your reference to wikipedia but I usually take what is said with a punch of salt, depending on last update. In any case it's the best we have.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Well so far I mus say that I am not impressed with my Samsung Galaxy S.
I love Android and what it can do, but the implementation of software with hardware is problematic.
The battery life is absolutely pathetic and the phone is sluggish and frequently locks up.
People call me on my landline and yell at me cos they have been trying to reach me on my cellphone, and then I will realise that the phone has once again locked up and lost it's network connectivity.

How do other Android phones compare?
Cos I think Samsung has a long way to go here.