Any comments on the following hosts?

Glock26

Expert Member
I know there are some well recommended hosts here like Absolute etc.
But wondering if anyone has any comments on the following hosts for VPS hosting......please only comment on these guys if you have experience with them.

Telasera
1-Grid
Red Cactus
Web-Telecoms.

Please elaborate if you have any issues with them. Would also help if any of them have reps on myBB.
Never quite sure if a host is a small company with employees, or a guy in his garage with some tech knowledge ;)

Anthro

Expert Member
We use HostAfrica quite extensively.
Excellent Support

Ruan @ Webluno

Webluno Representative
Company Rep
But wondering if anyone has any comments on the following hosts for VPS hosting......please only comment on these guys if you have experience with them.

Telasera
1-Grid
Red Cactus
Web-Telecoms.

Please elaborate if you have any issues with them. Would also help if any of them have reps on myBB.
Never quite sure if a host is a small company with employees, or a guy in his garage with some tech knowledge ;)

Have you tried Hetzner?

Glock26

Expert Member
They have a total number of files limit that excludes them from my list, and weren't negotiable on that.

SYNERGY

Executive Member

Telasera
1-Grid
Red Cactus
Web-Telecoms.

1-Grid billing is a nightmare of note.
Support is decent.

I've moved all my WordPress sites to Absolute Hosting.
Pretty happy with them.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

Telasera
1-Grid
Red Cactus
Web-Telecoms.

1-Grid is the worst hosting company on Earth in my opinion. They are to GoDaddy what GoDaddy is to everyone else. I disagree vehemently with the above comment that their support is any good. Literally every single time I have taken a client on who needed stuff moved away from 1-Grid there have been issues. I've seen everything from them removing domains from client accounts (only to return when I make a fuss through a ticket), moving a domain back and forth between 1-Grid and Tucows (owned by them) which triggers a 60 day waiting period before transferring a .com away from them, refusing to cease billing, putting elderly technophobes onto packages far larger than they need, selling those same people a wildcard Comodo SSL certificate and more. They're criminal scum in my book. Not to mention their hosting performs like dogs**t.

I can't comment on the others but I'm sceptical of random hosting providers. As far as SA is concerned, it's Domains.co.za and Absolute Hosting or bust. I like both companies a lot.

Thanks for the recommendation @SYNERGY

What are the specs of your Linux VPSes Jade? I don't recall checking with you, and I don't see any info on your site.

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep
1-Grid is the worst hosting company on Earth in my opinion. They are to GoDaddy what GoDaddy is to everyone else. I disagree vehemently with the above comment that their support is any good. Literally every single time I have taken a client on who needed stuff moved away from 1-Grid there have been issues. I've seen everything from them removing domains from client accounts (only to return when I make a fuss through a ticket), moving a domain back and forth between 1-Grid and Tucows (owned by them) which triggers a 60 day waiting period before transferring a .com away from them, refusing to cease billing, putting elderly technophobes onto packages far larger than they need, selling those same people a wildcard Comodo SSL certificate and more. They're criminal scum in my book. Not to mention their hosting performs like dogs**t.

I can't comment on the others but I'm sceptical of random hosting providers. As far as SA is concerned, it's Domains.co.za and Absolute Hosting or bust. I like both companies a lot.

What are the specs of your Linux VPSes Jade? I don't recall checking with you, and I don't see any info on your site.
New vps pricing will be published to our site in this week coming as I've been promised by our supplier that our AMD EPYC server has landed and will be available for collection from their offices on or before Wednesday.

I'll start a new thread within the Hosting section here on MYBB as soon as we are ready to get beta testers involved and will offer some decent discount to those that participate.

Price wise, we are hoping to rock the boat a little with our new VPS pricing

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
New vps pricing will be published to our site in this week coming as I've been promised by our supplier that our AMD EPYC server has landed and will be available for collection from their offices on or before Wednesday.

I'll start a new thread within the Hosting section here on MYBB as soon as we are ready to get beta testers involved and will offer some decent discount to those that participate.

Price wise, we are hoping to rock the boat a little with our new VPS pricing
Won't aggressive pricing force you to place a lot of tenants on a server though?

People getting a VPS are probably big on performance. I wouldn't want to see anything approaching Lightsail levels.

These days I'm using Vultr and Linode servers on GridPane, with a Domains Epyc VPS for some local sites. The Domains VPS can't match the international servers' performance at even twice the specs. I always found it pretty damn disappointing. And only with the Domains VPS do I get 70-80% memory utilisation notices after a day or so if I don't change PHP workers to on-demand - something I've never seen with Vultr, DigitalOcean or Linode.

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep
Won't aggressive pricing force you to place a lot of tenants on a server though?

People getting a VPS are probably big on performance. I wouldn't want to see anything approaching Lightsail levels.
There is always that risk and its our responsibility to find that sweet spot between the number of clients per server and when to roll out more servers.

But we'll deal with that before we get to a point where clients notice or are effected by performance issues, and if they do pickup on issues, feedback is always the key to ensuring that we meet expectations and demand.

My concern is not about when to roll out more servers but rather how long its taken to get stock into the country. Its taken roughly two months to get to this point as a result of all the delays caused by COVID19.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
There is always that risk and its our responsibility to find that sweet spot between the number of clients per server and when to roll out more servers.

But we'll deal with that before we get to a point where clients notice or are effected by performance issues, and if they do pickup on issues, feedback is always the key to ensuring that we meet expectations and demand.

My concern is not about when to roll out more servers but rather how long its taken to get stock into the country. Its taken roughly two months to get to this point as a result of all the delays caused by COVID19.

Damn, that's an insane import time. Well, I'm 100% onboard with trying your Epyc VPS.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
You are an ISP not a Webhost.

Not entirely true. We have dedicated support staff just for our hosting section.

We offer well priced hosting solutions too.

Compare our VPS prices with the ones listed and you will see it's not that badly priced at all.

Glock26

Expert Member

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I can echo the 1-grid comments, steer clear of them.
Endless billing issues... and this is on a single domain.
Massive problems with transferring domains, the last two I eventually just ditched because they werent worth the endless fight.
Just about everything about dealing with them is a pain.