App ideas for developers

surfs-up

Expert Member
There was a thread posted here, last year I think, I can't find it now....where app developers were looking for ideas for new apps to develop.

I have one, please approach the banks and develop this one....

Yesterday someone in Houston, Texas used my credit card to loot it to the tune of R 37 263,58 !!! Yes...I was peed off. They must have harvested my details somewhere...or someone sold them my credit card info.

Around midnight, my phone beeped me to say R8.50 had gone off my account. Now, I was suspicious because I hadn't bought anything.....but I thought what the heck, it's a small amount...probably an app I bought that came off my account later, so I didn't take action. It turns out the crooks did that small purchase to check that my account was working properly.

At 03.00 am, (I did some tracing) they went to Krogers in Houston (large grocery chain store in USA), there are 6 of them in Houston but I found the one they went to....and used my details to get the cash - lots of large grocery stores in the USA cash cheques and give cash with a credit card. They then took this large sum out my Mastercard.

Long story short....I would pay to have an app on my phone, with a big green and red button. Push the red button, enter a password, and your accounts get blocked. Push the green button, and a password to re-open your bank account. This will save the banks millions with all the fraud going on, and save us money and the inconvenience - I don't know yet if Standard Bank is going to repay me...they said I must wait 2 weeks and they will let me know grrrrr.

In the heat of the moment when I saw the sum getting taken off...I couldn't think straight, and couldn't find the numbers for the fraud hotline to block my account. When I eventually did, I had to answer a ton of questions - where do I live, what is my date of birth, what is my id number, what is my home number etc etc etc before they finally blocked my account

Last edited:

surfs-up

Expert Member
Oh, in the app I would also like to see "soft lock" cap buttons. Say one for R 1000 one for R 2000 and one for R5000. So if I am suspicious of activity, I could soften the blow, and opt to prevent any transaction taking place on my account for an amount over, say R1000.

The banks keep increasing my credit limit every year, even though I never use it (or ask for it) !!!! Lucky the crook didn't take more. With a credit limit of R 80 000.00 on my card he could have had a field day.

bboy

Expert Member
I doubt the banks would ever allow us to do such a thing. Closest you would get would be their own banking app

me_

There are many security features that are currently being rolled out to stop this.

If it's a chip and pin card and it's swiped in a machine that can take chip and pin, the operator is warned and a manager password needs to be entered to read the magnetic stripe.
Unfortunately the US is a bit far behind as far as chip and pin goes so they would most likely just take the magnetic stripe.
I assume your card is chip and pin?

For online purchases, most banks use some form of verified by visa where a one time pin is sent to your phone for those which is far more accessible than an app.

I assume your card was a chip and pin.

You could always remove the magnetic stripe from your new card. This will prevent it being swiped again. The chip and pin should be sufficient for South Africa.

surfs-up

Expert Member
I assume your card was a chip and pin.

You could always remove the magnetic stripe from your new card. This will prevent it being swiped again. The chip and pin should be sufficient for South Africa.

Yes, my card is a chip and pin. However, my card was not stolen. Somehow they got my card details, maybe they were also able to get my personal details, and used that.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Yes, my card is a chip and pin. However, my card was not stolen. Somehow they got my card details, maybe they were also able to get my personal details, and used that.

Did you contact the Houston police with all the details you have gathered?
They seem to have a big gang issue by the looks of their website so could be a cartel thing?

Last edited:

VG008

FNB app & website allows you to :
1. block and unblock your cards
2. Set limits on the card and account

The banks also don't allow international swipe transactions, unless you activate this feature. I know both my FNB and Discovery cards have this option.

froot

Honorary Master
The banks also don't allow international swipe transactions, unless you activate this feature. I know both my FNB and Discovery cards have this option.

I know Absa blocks international swipes too by default, unless you phone them and have it activated (and furthermore it has a from-date and to-date as well).

surfs-up

Expert Member
Did you contact the Houston police with all the details you have gathered?
They seem to have a big gang issue by the looks of their website so could be a cartel thing?

No I'm in S. Africa, but I'm sure the fraud department of Standard Bank has contacts there in the USA, so I have left it up to them.

Dippybot

When I travel overseas and want to use my cards I have to advise FNB and Nedbank that I'll travelling and what dates I'll be away. If I don't any transactions are declined. Surely Standard has the same policy. Happened on my last trip, forgot to activate my wifes card and they declined the first transaction and put a block on the card until I contacted them.