Apple A5 chip overheating might be delaying the iPhone 5 launch

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Here we have another interesting theory on what might be preventing Apple from releasing the next iPhone yet. The latest bit of online gossip has it that the problem lies within the dual-core Apple A5 chip, which is causing the smartphone to overheat.

That one sounds pretty reasonable, as previous rumors had it that the next iPhone will be even slimmer than the current one. That means its parts will be even more tightly packed and cooling down its chipset will be more challenging.

Plus, the iPhone 5 (or 4S if they really decide to go with that) will have an extra core, which probably means that it will be producing more heat than its predecessor. According to the rumor source, Apple is still struggling to find a solution for this and if it doesn't come up with something shortly it will be unveiling a smartphone based on the current iPhone to buy some more time.

In related news, rumor has it Apple has already started test-producing its next generation chipset, the A6 processor with the Taiwanese manufacturer TSMC. The Cupertino-based company is obviously dead set on replacing Samsung as the producer of the brains of its devices.

Obviously, the heated court battle between Apple and Samsung was bound to leave a scar on the $5.68 billion/year partnership between the two companies and this might just be only the beginning.
Source

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Like I said before, Apple wants to use the new A9 32nm's on the devices and Samsung is going "Erm... No"

The new A9's doesn't have the heat or power issues that current chips do and Apple sooooo want to get their hands on them. Samsung is the only ones that have the factories up and running for the 32 nm ARM chips.

If you look at Apple's past the way they usually get ahead of the pack is by buying up all the stock of a new tech, denying it to competitors. I think they not use to someone like Samsung declining esp if you see how many factories the partnership has build over the years. Oh well, we will have to see how this one pans out. Samsung wants to use the new chips on their own Android devices. There is even rumors that the new Samsung Android tablets will be sporting the A9 chips and displays, that requires 75% less energy than current devices.

Last edited:
K

kingrob

Apple is panicking & that's why they're suing everyone around them.

They should take a chill pill, make peace with Samsung and focus on what's really important - bringing the iPhone 5 to life (and in huge quantities).

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Just one part of this rumor doesn't make sense. The A5 can only be running hotter if it's consuming more power than the A4, but then how come the iPad 2 has better battery life than the iPad 1?

Shayd

Expert Member

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
Rofl, was just thinking they should have a chat with sammy and ask how it is done.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App