Apple AirPods Pro

kaisterkai

Expert Member
I have friend in Joberg who ordered and got an email saying that they will get it next week?

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I have friend in Joberg who ordered and got an email saying that they will get it next week?
Who did he order from? Official release date is 25th and I see Takealot will deliver on that date for pre orders.

I’m passing through Singapore on the 21st and thought I’d pick up a pair then. But believe it or not, they are more expensive than SA at about R4120 at current exchange rate :wtf:

waylander

Expert Member
Who did he order from? Official release date is 25th and I see Takealot will deliver on that date for pre orders.

I’m passing through Singapore on the 21st and thought I’d pick up a pair then. But believe it or not, they are more expensive than SA at about R4120 at current exchange rate :wtf:
AirPod Pros are super cheap here for some reason. Compare their price to Powerbeats Pro which is the same in USD.

kaisterkai

Expert Member

He ordered from MyiStore. I was also quite surprised about the email, because I didn't want to order until they kinda provided me with a date. I mean, I don't want to wait until next month etc.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
These are the only thing I want in the world :D
Tbh this is one Apple product where I really don't understand the appeal.

If you want hands-free calls, buy a proper Bluetooth earpiece like the Plantronics Voyager 3200. If you want to listen to music wirelessly, buy earphones or headphones that don't sound like crap. If you need noise cancelling, get Sony or Bose headphones. Why have one device that does all of that quite poorly?

cerebus

Honorary Master

If you want hands-free calls, buy a proper Bluetooth earpiece like the Plantronics Voyager 3200. If you want to listen to music wirelessly, buy earphones or headphones that don't sound like crap. If you need noise cancelling, get Sony or Bose headphones. Why have one device that does all of that quite poorly?
I don’t know man, go read some reviews. Linus, Marques, they all say yeah there’s some things other earbuds do better - the WF1000MX3s for instance - but the overall experience of the AirPod Pros gives them the edge.

Spizz

Goat Botherer

I think does them all poorly is a bit of a stretch. And to be fair, you've just suggested 3 products to replace one.

I can't wear headphones, god knows I've tried but they hurt me after 30 minutes. So I need buds, and I've tried a fair few. As an iPhone user I love the integration of the AirPods with my iPhone straight away, that's the first thing. And I use them daily for calls and podcasts/audiobooks where they are super convenient. I've usually only got one ear in and I often forget it's there, but I hardly take a call without one and if it's not in already, it slips in and connects seamlessly.

Unfortunately the lack of a good seal in ear makes them useless for travel, and I travel a lot. So I use Beatsx for travel as again the integration is a good point, they have a nice seal and volume level which means I don't suffer from the lack of ANC as the sound is clear and they are very comfortable.

So sure, they may not top the charts on each individual category, but as a package and combined with size and ease of use/integration, they have become essential kit for me. And now with ANC, they tick all the boxes.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I don’t know man, go read some reviews. Linus, Marques, they all say yeah there’s some things other earbuds do better - the WF1000MX3s for instance - but the overall experience of the AirPod Pros gives them the edge.
I think does them all poorly is a bit of a stretch. And to be fair, you've just suggested 3 products to replace one.

I can't wear headphones, god knows I've tried but they hurt me after 30 minutes. So I need buds, and I've tried a fair few. As an iPhone user I love the integration of the AirPods with my iPhone straight away, that's the first thing. And I use them daily for calls and podcasts/audiobooks where they are super convenient. I've usually only got one ear in and I often forget it's there, but I hardly take a call without one and if it's not in already, it slips in and connects seamlessly.

Unfortunately the lack of a good seal in ear makes them useless for travel, and I travel a lot. So I use Beatsx for travel as again the integration is a good point, they have a nice seal and volume level which means I don't suffer from the lack of ANC as the sound is clear and they are very comfortable.

So sure, they may not top the charts on each individual category, but as a package and combined with size and ease of use/integration, they have become essential kit for me. And now with ANC, they tick all the boxes.
I checked out a few of the first reviews, and stopped reading/watching when they mentioned that the audio quality is basically on par with the AirPods but with the benefits you'd expect from a better seal.

You can't give the product a pass just because the user experience is solid, because it has a flashy on-screen setup animation, because an all-in-one device is convenient in principle etc.

These are earphones. And $250 ones at that. If the audio sucks then it should get a failing grade automatically. Everything else are bonus features. And if it's anywhere close to the AirPods then it deserves an F, because I've listened to those and the audio quality is a steaming pile of horse manure.

Obviously I support a product like this in theory. I just kinda wish people would stop accepting Apple not giving a rat's ass about audio quality and force them to care. A trillion dollar company can afford to hire competent engineers and can achieve economies of scale with manufacturing good quality yet affordable audio. They should be pushing the envelope, not planting a trillion dollar anchor on progress.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I checked out a few of the first reviews, and stopped reading/watching when they mentioned that the audio quality is basically on par with the AirPods but with the benefits you'd expect from a better seal.

You can't give the product a pass just because the user experience is solid, because it has a flashy on-screen setup animation, because an all-in-one device is convenient in principle etc.

These are earphones. And $250 ones at that. If the audio sucks then it should get a failing grade automatically. Everything else are bonus features. And if it's anywhere close to the AirPods then it deserves an F, because I've listened to those and the audio quality is a steaming pile of horse manure.

Obviously I support a product like this in theory. I just kinda wish people would stop accepting Apple not giving a rat's ass about audio quality and force them to care. A trillion dollar company can afford to hire competent engineers and can achieve economies of scale with manufacturing good quality yet affordable audio. They should be pushing the envelope, not planting a trillion dollar anchor on progress.
It's kind of weird how you have picked a conclusion and run with it, when the 3 reviews I've watched and my own experience say otherwise. I had to see these reviews of the bad audio quality so I typed into google...

"AirPods Pro review bad audio"

The first 3 hits were in order...

Apple AirPods Pro review: noise cancelling and great sound combine in world-beating true wireless buds
---

BOTTOM LINE
For just $50 more than the original model with the wireless charging case, these are definitely the 'buds to get. They sound better than the originals and have a way better fit and active noise cancelling to boot. If you have an iOS device, just get these.
---

Apple AirPods Pro review: so good it's almost annoying
---

All non affiliated with Apple and far from fan boys. Maybe you can point us to a review or 2, because the sound of my original pods is pretty good, and now these ones for an all rounder are apparently fantastic.

Last edited:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
It's kind of weird how you have picked a conclusion and run with it, when the 3 reviews I've watched and my own experience say otherwise. I had to see these reviews of the bad audio quality so I typed into google...

"AirPods Pro review bad audio"

The first 3 hits were in order...

Apple AirPods Pro review: noise cancelling and great sound combine in world-beating true wireless buds
---

BOTTOM LINE
For just $50 more than the original model with the wireless charging case, these are definitely the 'buds to get. They sound better than the originals and have a way better fit and active noise cancelling to boot. If you have an iOS device, just get these.
---

Apple AirPods Pro review: so good it's almost annoying
---

All non affiliated with Apple and far from fan boys. Maybe you can point us to a review or 2, because the sound of my original pods is pretty good, and now these ones for an all rounder are apparently fantastic.
If the trend is to produce a glowing AirPods Pro review, then that's exactly what reviewers will do.

From your first link:
Original AirPods sound great in a quiet room when you're not moving... - Delusional
It's not a hi-fi revelation in terms of quality, but it's right up there with the best in this price range. - Outright lie

Second link:
This can be a bit of an issue when listening to songs like Songbird by Cory Chisel where I feel the strumming and guitar squeaks approach the point of harshness instead of clarity. Still, it isn’t an issue in most songs and I’ll take this over the previous AirPods frequency response any day of the week. - Jesus Christ

Third link:
Why even link this review? WIRED reviews are crap and 99% of this review didn't cover audio quality. This is all that was provided:
Listen to The Meters’ Just Kissed My Baby and in the first 30 seconds you will hear all you need to discern how well the Pros deliver high, mid and low frequencies. What’s most impressive is the balance of these frequencies, though, with vocals never being overwhelmed by instrumentation, or vice versa. Switch to something with enormous, deep bass - such as Peter Gabriel’s Secret World - and you would expect the Pros to fall at the last. They do not. Podcasts and spoken word are also equally well delivered. - Again, delusional. And conflicting with the previous review.

One thing you're making clear to me how these awful products sell so well. Most people clearly have had no exposure to good quality audio. I'm no audiophile, but having listened to the AirPods for an extended period of time in a quiet environment I know for sure that they are total junk in the listening department. I've never been so sure of anything in my life. Worse than any audio product I've ever purchased, but better than the stuff that comes included with cellphones.

If the folks in this thread think that AirPods and AirPods Pro are good enough for their music listening needs, then that just makes me sad. Apple has ushered in an idiocracy for audio and everyone is lining up to pay premium rates. Man, stuff like this is depressing. If it cost $100 that would change the entire value proposition, but $250 is tragic.

Maybe it's largely because music is such an important thing to me, that the thought of being suckered like this is just sacrilegious and rustles all the jimmies in my DNA.

cerebus

Honorary Master
If the folks in this thread think that AirPods and AirPods Pro are good enough for their music listening needs, then that just makes me sad. Apple has ushered in an idiocracy for audio and everyone is lining up to pay premium rates. Man, stuff like this is depressing. If it cost $100 that would change the entire value proposition, but $250 is tragic.
I think the reviewers are accepting that music quality is not going to be the top priority when buying fully wireless earphones. Especially when you have ANC tech inside which is going to push the price up. They are definitely not even close to an audiophile proposition though - the only pair that could even come close to that in the space are the Sennheiser Momentums - but I think they do sound quite a lot better than the OP Airpods and it’s not just due to the noise canceling.

Sure for $250 you could get a pair of Fii0 FH5s that would make the AirPod Pros sound like pure garbage; for $70 the Tin T3s will also put them to shame. I really don’t think those are mainstream products though, so unfortunately you’re just shouting into a void. TBH when I have the Airpods in 80% of the time I’m cycling or exercising or walking and listening to podcasts or YouTube videos or something other than music because I know I’m not getting very good audio and I’m ok with that.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
If the trend is to produce a glowing AirPods Pro review, then that's exactly what reviewers will do.

From your first link:
Original AirPods sound great in a quiet room when you're not moving... - Delusional
It's not a hi-fi revelation in terms of quality, but it's right up there with the best in this price range. - Outright lie

Second link:
This can be a bit of an issue when listening to songs like Songbird by Cory Chisel where I feel the strumming and guitar squeaks approach the point of harshness instead of clarity. Still, it isn’t an issue in most songs and I’ll take this over the previous AirPods frequency response any day of the week. - Jesus Christ

Third link:
Why even link this review? WIRED reviews are crap and 99% of this review didn't cover audio quality. This is all that was provided:
Listen to The Meters’ Just Kissed My Baby and in the first 30 seconds you will hear all you need to discern how well the Pros deliver high, mid and low frequencies. What’s most impressive is the balance of these frequencies, though, with vocals never being overwhelmed by instrumentation, or vice versa. Switch to something with enormous, deep bass - such as Peter Gabriel’s Secret World - and you would expect the Pros to fall at the last. They do not. Podcasts and spoken word are also equally well delivered. - Again, delusional. And conflicting with the previous review.

One thing you're making clear to me how these awful products sell so well. Most people clearly have had no exposure to good quality audio. I'm no audiophile, but having listened to the AirPods for an extended period of time in a quiet environment I know for sure that they are total junk in the listening department. I've never been so sure of anything in my life. Worse than any audio product I've ever purchased, but better than the stuff that comes included with cellphones.

Maybe it's largely because music is such an important thing to me, that the thought of being suckered like this is just sacrilegious and rustles all the jimmies in my DNA.
Nah, sorry bud, but I think you are full of it. You are interpolating all of the negatives and making them fit your narrative. Yet every review I’ve read or watched has them as an overwhelmingly positive product.

But you are now making it sound like it’s like listening to your favourite music with potatoes in your ears when that is far from reality. It maybe not audiophile quality, I’m not an audiophile, but for the majority of people who live on planet earth, it ticks the daily driver boxes across a number of areas and that is more than enough.

Tell me, what headphones or earbuds do you use?

Last edited:

whatwhat

Executive Member
I've had my Airpods Pro since the launch date.

You feel them in your ears a lot more than the original Airpods, but you get used to it. They are not going to replace my 1000XM3 for flights, but for general subway and city walking they are good.

If you are in a quiet office already then getting the Pro over the originals probably isn't going to be a big difference.

-edit- I also really dont like the control. The original with the tap on left or right Airpod for previous/next song was quick and efficient. Having to find the Airpod and squeeze it 2-3 times I just find slower.

Last edited:

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I've had my Airpods Pro since the launch date.

You feel them in your ears a lot more than the original Airpods, but you get used to it. They are not going to replace my 1000XM3 for flights, but for general subway and city walking they are good.

If you are in a quiet office already then getting the Pro over the originals probably isn't going to be a big difference.

-edit- I also really dont like the control. The original with the tap on left or right Airpod for previous/next song was quick and efficient. Having to find the Airpod and squeeze it 2-3 times I just find slower.
Interesting side by side review here. They look much of a muchness with I guess iOS integration being the big deciding factor for iPhone users. First review I've seen that says the Airpods have better ANC.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Nah, sorry bud, but I think you are full of it. You are interpolating all of the negatives and making them fit your narrative. Yet every review I’ve read or watched has them as an overwhelmingly positive product.

But you are now making it sound like it’s like listening to your favourite music with potatoes in your ears when that is far from reality. It maybe not audiophile quality, I’m not an audiophile, but for the majority of people who live on planet earth, it ticks the daily driver boxes across a number of areas and that is more than enough.

Tell me, what headphones or earbuds do you use?
This sounds like ANC speak. The 'narrative' is that audio quality trumps all other features of earphones/headphones for me. I have been clear about my reservations and that they pertain specifically to audio quality. Reviews seem to spend almost no time on actually critiquing the audio quality of the AirPods Pro. It's always about noise cancellation, setup, passthrough etc. rather than if they're actually any good as a pair of earphones.

I've gone through many headphones and earphones. I used the Klipsch S4i earphones for a while and currently use the T5, which are pretty good but seldom used. Not an earphone fan. For headphones, I mostly rely on the Audio Technica M50x for their natural soundstage, or at least what has become a natural feel to me. And I drift between the Sennheiser HD 650 and Sony XB950. The 650 is phenomenal for classical music but I find it soulless for pretty much everything else. The Sony's have totally overpowered bass, which works great for some genres. I have a Kickstarter pair of ORA GQ graphene headphones shipping soon, and I'm expecting them to become the only thing I use to listen to music. Not sure why any of this is relevant. You don't have to be an audiophile (I'm absolutely not one) to recognise the below-par quality of EarPods and AirPods.

Cerebus below makes a decent-enough argument for buying these, as not intended for serious music appreciation but other convenience factors. And if you can throw $250 at that convenience and not have to sacrifice an alternative listening experience, then no one can argue against that.

I think the reviewers are accepting that music quality is not going to be the top priority when buying fully wireless earphones. Especially when you have ANC tech inside which is going to push the price up. They are definitely not even close to an audiophile proposition though - the only pair that could even come close to that in the space are the Sennheiser Momentums - but I think they do sound quite a lot better than the OP Airpods and it’s not just due to the noise canceling.

Sure for $250 you could get a pair of Fii0 FH5s that would make the AirPod Pros sound like pure garbage; for $70 the Tin T3s will also put them to shame. I really don’t think those are mainstream products though, so unfortunately you’re just shouting into a void. TBH when I have the Airpods in 80% of the time I’m cycling or exercising or walking and listening to podcasts or YouTube videos or something other than music because I know I’m not getting very good audio and I’m ok with that.
Yeah, fair enough. Clearly the AirPods Pro excels at everything other than high-quality music listening.

3Gee

Expert Member
4k for a pair of Airpod Pro’s with about a 2 year lifespan is insane.

airborne

Executive Member
4k for a pair of Airpod Pro’s with about a 2 year lifespan is insane.
Don't forget monthly insurance and Apple care warranty upgrade.

Imagine losing one of the buds, then you have a tiny weeny R2k paperweight
¯ಠ_ಠ

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

The audio doesn’t suck, there are just others that do better.

However none of the others offer the same integration and seamless handover between devices that the Airpods do.

And objectively I can say that in some instances and some music I’ve found my wife’s Airpods to actually sound better than my Sennheisers when it comes to a clean and balanced listening experience.

There is also something to be said for the ability of any pair of earphones or headphones to not be distracting in their wearability and to allow you to groove...which is something that the Airpods excel at.

Once you actually forget that you are wearing devices on your ears and you completely melt into your music those devices have won the race and this is exactly what I’ve found the Airpods tend to do over pretty much every other pair of ear or head attached devices I’ve ever tested.

I expect the Pros to take that one step further.

And I should note that I fully expected them to suck and be nothing more than wireless versions of the EarPods which I don’t like, but to my surprise they stood on their own quite well.

Calling it a steaming pile of horse **** is really being disingenuous and not very objective at all. They offer a surprisingly balanced and clear audio reproduction.

Yes certainly not the best across the board, but very very far from being rubbish.

What is unacceptable is the inability to repair them and replace their batteries.

I’ve also listened to plenty of high end systems in my life for comparison and own a pair of Ultimate Ears in ears, Sennheiser Open Acoustic over ears, Sennheiser closed back N/C over ears, some old school Sony on ears and various others so I think I can argue some objectivity here.

I do agree they could he cheaper for what they offer though.

Also no audiophile would touch anything wireless in the first place so you’ll never get any objectivity there.

Last edited: