Apple AirPods Pro

riscbroker

Expert Member
I got to test drive the Airpods Pro yesterday, albeit just for a few tracks. The noise cancelling is pretty damn good, the fit and comfort is great, and the audio quality entirely adequate. If these factors influence your decision then you have to try these out.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Consumer Reports: AirPods Pro pack ‘significant’ sound quality upgrades, but Galaxy Buds still best

AirPods Pro have earned widespread praise since their release last month thanks to sound quality improvements, noise cancellation, and more. Consumer Reports is now out with its full review of AirPods Pro, and those improvements seemingly aren’t enough to take the top-rated crown from Samsung.

In general, Consumer Reports has always said that if audio is an important factor for you, you “could do better than the Apple AirPods.” With the new AirPods Pro, the story shifts slightly. The review indicates that AirPods Pro “sound really good,” especially when you combine that sound quality with the other benefits of AirPods:

The AirPods Pro sound really good. Like a majority of Bluetooth headphones, the Pros still might not suit the most critical audiophiles. But the significant improvement in sound paired with the features consumers love from the older AirPods should make this model a serious contender if you’re in the market for a pair of true wireless earphones.

Consumer Reports also praises the new Transparency mode on AirPods Pro:

The insert tips may make your ears feel slightly plugged up, even with noise-canceling turned off. But the AirPods Pro also have a “transparency” mode, which uses built-in microphones to intentionally pipe in outside sound. Apple didn’t invent this feature, but on the Pros it works particularly well.

Overall, Consumer Reports rates AirPos Pro at a score of 75. That compares to Samsung’s Galaxy Buds at a score of 86, and Amazon’s Echo Buds at 65. So what benefit do the Samsung Galaxy Buds have over AirPods? According to the review, Galaxy Buds still offer notably better sound quality than AirPods Pro – even though they don’t include noise cancellation.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
I've had my Airpods Pro since the launch date.

You feel them in your ears a lot more than the original Airpods, but you get used to it. They are not going to replace my 1000XM3 for flights, but for general subway and city walking they are good.

If you are in a quiet office already then getting the Pro over the originals probably isn't going to be a big difference.

-edit- I also really dont like the control. The original with the tap on left or right Airpod for previous/next song was quick and efficient. Having to find the Airpod and squeeze it 2-3 times I just find slower.

I also use XM3 for flights (local) and have a set of Gen 2 Airpods, but was seriously considering swapping to Airpods Pro only and selling the XM3 and Gen 2 Airpods.

However, based on your feedback it seems that the Airpod Pros aren't as good as the XM3 in the noise cancelling department (for aeroplanes at least) - if so, I'll probably stay with my current setup.

Ideally I'd have liked to test the Airpod Pros on an aeroplane but I doubt that store would allow me to borrow a pair for testing purposes

CT_Biker

Expert Member
I have tried a set of AirPods recently as I am back in the Apple Camp. A year worth of Android usage has been enough so this is where I will stay.

Needless to say that I had a great experience with the airpods. I enjoy the way the EarPods fit in my ears, there is a bit of drag from my clothes which weigh on the EarPods, there is obviously none of this with the Airpods, so after a while you won't feel them - at all. I assume that the AirPods Pro will make this better. The sound quality is enjoyable on the standard AirPods, the Pro variant would be marginal most likely?

If you listen to Steely Dan all day, then surely you would use a top quality set of over-ears all of the time. If you listen to Lo-Fi hip hop(fake vinyl crackle and all) even normal AirPods will be more than sufficient.

Pity that I am saving for an Apple Watch and a Macbook Pro currently or else I would have bought them. So for now I'll stick to the EarPods

whatwhat

Executive Member
I also use XM3 for flights (local) and have a set of Gen 2 Airpods, but was seriously considering swapping to Airpods Pro only and selling the XM3 and Gen 2 Airpods.

However, based on your feedback it seems that the Airpod Pros aren't as good as the XM3 in the noise cancelling department (for aeroplanes at least) - if so, I'll probably stay with my current setup.

Ideally I'd have liked to test the Airpod Pros on an aeroplane but I doubt that store would allow me to borrow a pair for testing purposes
Depends on what you mean by local flights. For me its about battery life - i can put the xm3 on and keep it on until i arrive anywhere on earth. The Pro needs time in the charging case and also not easy to connect to the onboard entertainment.

So for SA local they should be ok, haven’t been to SA in a while but remember they used to force you to remove headsets until cruising altitude. Thats time you can charge the headset in the case.

Airpods Pro are a little easier on the ears when you need to sleep with them on, what annoyed me about the Sony was the touch panel activating during sleep but the latest firmware allows you to deactivate it.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Depends on what you mean by local flights. For me its about battery life - i can put the xm3 on and keep it on until i arrive anywhere on earth. The Pro needs time in the charging case and also not easy to connect to the onboard entertainment.

So for SA local they should be ok, haven’t been to SA in a while but remember they used to force you to remove headsets until cruising altitude. Thats time you can charge the headset in the case.

Airpods Pro are a little easier on the ears when you need to sleep with them on, what annoyed me about the Sony was the touch panel activating during sleep but the latest firmware allows you to deactivate it.
Hmm, thanks for the input. Local is 2 hour flights.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master

Hmm, thanks for the input. Local is 2 hour flights.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I have tried a set of AirPods recently as I am back in the Apple Camp. A year worth of Android usage has been enough so this is where I will stay.

Needless to say that I had a great experience with the airpods. I enjoy the way the EarPods fit in my ears, there is a bit of drag from my clothes which weigh on the EarPods, there is obviously none of this with the Airpods, so after a while you won't feel them - at all. I assume that the AirPods Pro will make this better. The sound quality is enjoyable on the standard AirPods, the Pro variant would be marginal most likely?

If you listen to Steely Dan all day, then surely you would use a top quality set of over-ears all of the time. If you listen to Lo-Fi hip hop(fake vinyl crackle and all) even normal AirPods will be more than sufficient.

Pity that I am saving for an Apple Watch and a Macbook Pro currently or else I would have bought them. So for now I'll stick to the EarPods
That very fact that you can forget the Airpods are even there is part and parcel of why the perceived audio quality is so much higher than it appears on paper.

I’m sure the Pros take that up quite a notch, but I haven’t tested them of course.

People who take the risk seem to always fall in love with them.

whatwhat

Executive Member
That very fact that you can forget the Airpods are even there is part and parcel of why the perceived audio quality is so much higher than it appears on paper.

I’m sure the Pros take that up quite a notch, but I haven’t tested them of course.

People who take the risk seem to always fall in love with them.
To be honest the quality of the audio is ok. Wouldn’t say it’s the best but the noise cancelling helps.

Still hate the new controls.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
To be honest the quality of the audio is ok. Wouldn’t say it’s the best but the noise cancelling helps.

Still hate the new controls.
To reiterate my statement about Steely Dan. If you want a superior listening experience, then AirPods, or any wireless bud isn’t going to work for you.

I enjoy the quality of the audio when I played around with them

whatwhat

Executive Member
To reiterate my statement about Steely Dan. If you want a superior listening experience, then AirPods, or any wireless bud isn’t going to work for you.

I enjoy the quality of the audio when I played around with them
Ofcourse. When I go sit in my granite Listening room the Airpods Pro is not going to be in my hand.

But they are good enough for what they are doing, and yes there are a lot of options out there that sound better or are cheaper. At the end of the day it's a personal choice.

Spizz

Goat Botherer

That tends to be the general opinion, but I also posted a link earlier in the thread from rtings.com comparing them and it had the AirPods with the better ANC.

whatwhat

Executive Member
That tends to be the general opinion, but I also posted a link earlier in the thread from rtings.com comparing them and it had the AirPods with the better ANC.
I wouldn't say better ANC. It has a few areas where it measured better and a heaps more where it didn't.

Putting both the over-ear and in-ear Sony 1000XM3s here

There isn't a bad or wrong choice here

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I just ordered a pair of AirPods Pro to collect when transiting through Singapore on Thursday. They’ve been in and out of stock so I ordered online to be safe. Works out about R3830 converting directly.

Check my sms from FNB and conversion rates mean they took R3970. Saved R30

Funny how a 128gb iPhone 11 is about R4 to R5000 cheaper than in SA, but the pods are pretty much the same.

waylander

Expert Member
Just got home and started playing with my pair and gotta say the noise cancelling works surprisingly well. The fit isn't fantastic but I guess that's a personal thing. Will be keeping these and my Sony cans and selling my Powerbeats/AirPods2

waylander

Expert Member
I have to say, after a good few hours of use, the bass response on these is piss.