Apple has lost it's innovation

Pavan

Expert Member
Seriously, the iPad 3? What a lame device. Practically the same form factor as the first generation of tablets, with little tweaks here and there. How about something truly innovative??? How about a sub $50 tablet with keyboard to totally overthrow the PC market (mostly) and at the same time be innovative in another market segment. The same old boring upgrades and predictable tweaks will soon fall out of favour. I know Apple will always have their loyal customer base, but surely a big corporate like this should be looking into growth in other markets to continue growing their business.

It also seems like Apple is one company that doesn't give a flying f*** about less fortunate people, and what their needs are. Tell me, why do we keep supporting Apple?

unskinnybob

Expert Member
Seriously, the iPad 3? What a lame device. Practically the same form factor as the first generation of tablets, with little tweaks here and there. How about something truly innovative??? How about a sub $50 tablet with keyboard to totally overthrow the PC market (mostly) and at the same time be innovative in another market segment. The same old boring upgrades and predictable tweaks will soon fall out of favour. I know Apple will always have their loyal customer base, but surely a big corporate like this should be looking into growth in other markets to continue growing their business.

It also seems like Apple is one company that doesn't give a flying f*** about less fortunate people, and what their needs are. Tell me, why do we keep supporting Apple?

First off, it's NOT called the iPad 3.

It's not the same size - it's thinner. Making the screen smaller would be fail.

The processor is like 5x faster - small tweak indeed.

The screen boasts THE BEST resolution of ANYTHING in class.

Want to talk about the camera and the bundled software, or should we stick to speaking troll?

Pavan

Expert Member
I do agree with the technological advancements, but seriously how much more do these upgrades improve your life or uplift those around you? Thats the beauty of technology, and more importantly cutting edge technology. I'm not trolling, and im certainly not trying to say the iPad 3 or whatever its called is crap, I'm just saying that I expected a lot more from this company in recent times...

surfs-up

Expert Member
Pavan, while I agree that the latest iPad could have been a lot more (including a proper name, "new iPad WTF ?). It could have put a better camera on the front grrrrrr grainy Skype video conversations will continue

But where I disagree - a sub $ 50 iPad ? you must surely be smoking something. If you want a manufacturer to use quality components and good engineering, you will not get it for $ 50. Shucks, you won't even be able to buy a meal at a restaurant for the girlfriend/wife for that amount....

When you start to make really cheap junk, that is when you destroy your company reputation, and customers will disappear, and the company will be left with the headaches of customers complaining that their tablet keeps breaking

A plastic keyboard ? N.A.F Not for me thanks, I would prefer to type on glass than have a dust magnet, plastic keyboard

d0b33

Honorary Master
It is not meant to be a major upgrade, they are paving the way for retina with the new iPad, it's not called the iPad 3 since that will come later.

unskinnybob

Expert Member
I do agree with the technological advancements, but seriously how much more do these upgrades improve your life or uplift those around you? Thats the beauty of technology, and more importantly cutting edge technology. I'm not trolling, and im certainly not trying to say the iPad 3 or whatever its called is crap, I'm just saying that I expected a lot more from this company in recent times...
What kind of improvements?
- It now supports LTE - the fastest current mobile technology.
- Processing speed has increased
- Screen resolution has increased

What more do you want increased on a tablet type device? Sure - more storage COULD be an option but everything is going cloud.

^ Apple fanbooi
Hardly. I give credit where credit is due. And it's fanboi.

Pavan

Expert Member
I was using the sub $50 price tag as a comparison to the Akash tablet from India. but yes you're right. Guys, all I'm trying to say is this - Apple is a massive corporate with money coming out of every possible orifice. They're a market leader, and looked up to all around the globe, from companies to communities. How about leveraging off this position to create something truly innovative and useful for those who can't afford a $500 tablet. Apple could do so much to empower schools, universities, small businesses etc in third world countries and struggling regions, yet they never care to innovate or assist in this space. Like most greedy corporates, they probably will say that they don't need to or see no point. And that's when you realise, Apple is just a greedy corporate...

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
@unskinnybob, you dont get what Pavan is saying. Its faster and has a higher resolution screen, but is there anything you can do with the iPad 3 that you cannot do with the iPad 2? No, not a single thing. Its the same, only faster.

Oh yes, the same is true of PCs, but then PC manufacturers are not renowned for innovation. Apple is supposedly the innovation champion of the world, yet they are settling into predictable release cycles with their products. No new product lines, just continuing old products.

dequadin

Expert Member
It's not the same size - it's thinner.

AFAIK it's thicker and heavier. Mostly likely due to a bigger battery to power the new screen.

I was using the sub $50 price tag as a comparison to the Akash tablet from India. but yes you're right. Guys, all I'm trying to say is this - Apple is a massive corporate with money coming out of every possible orifice. They're a market leader, and looked up to all around the globe, from companies to communities. How about leveraging off this position to create something truly innovative and useful for those who can't afford a $500 tablet. Apple could do so much to empower schools, universities, small businesses etc in third world countries and struggling regions, yet they never care to innovate or assist in this space. Like most greedy corporates, they probably will say that they don't need to or see no point. And that's when you realise, Apple is just a greedy corporate...

Why should Apple bother with a $50 tablet. Their $500 tablet is outselling everything else out there and they are making ton of money, doesn't make sense to me....?

unskinnybob

Expert Member
@unskinnybob, you dont get what Pavan is saying. Its faster and has a higher resolution screen, but is there anything you can do with the iPad 3 that you cannot do with the iPad 2? No, not a single thing. Its the same, only faster.
If anything THAT is a selling feature. Apple aren't in the habbit of making their old products redundant. As you point out - the same can be said for the PC market.

I'm missing what kind of innovation you guys are waiting for. OLED? It'll probably be here in the next 3 years. What else is there to improve on? Where do we set the bar and based on what?

As for Apple putting forward a cheap tool for general consumption? If Apple's track record is anything to go by this ain't going to happen.

hungrybeaver

Expert Member
There really is no incentive for them innovate any more than what they're currently doing. They're leaders of the tablet market - slow innovation = larger profits. I'm sure they could release a tablet with all the bells and whistles but then what would they have to offer next year? And why lower prices when people are lining up for days to buy it at its current price?

Look to Samsung or HTC to undercut Apple with prices. They are the ones who want to take marketshare from Apple so they should be the ones to release hi-end tablets at low costs.

You wouldn't ask Toyota to make a cheap Hilux model to undercut the competitors since they're essentially doing the same thing; releasing a new model each year with slight improvements & different looks.

If less fortunate people are "needing" the iPad then they need to get their priorities straight.

Last edited:

Dolby

Honorary Master
I don't understand how much more they can do on the hardware side of things? Everything is bigger, better and faster than it was - which is ideal.

However, they need to work on the software side to get up to speed

icyrus

Executive Member

Apple is a high-end electronics company, not a charity. This is as ridiculous as asking why Ferrari doesn't make a R10 000 car.

As to innovation, 75% of Apple's revenue comes from product lines that didn't exist 5 years ago. Care to name another company who can claim anything near that?

Dolby

Honorary Master
As to innovation, 75% of Apple's revenue comes from product lines that didn't exist 5 years ago. Care to name another company who can claim anything near that?

Most technology companies?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Why do people get so angry with Apple for not doing what those people wanted Apple to do?
I think this is a decent upgrade to the iPad2. It addresses two of the niggles that bug me about mine (resolution and camera).

Do the same people also yell and scream about BMW everytime they facelift the 3 series?