Apple iWatch reports

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Apple iWatch plans

Under pressure to come up with a new device category that will replicate the astonishing success of the iPad and iPhone, Apple is reportedly developing a computer wrist watch that will work in conjunction with its other gadgets.

Avenue

Expert Member
A phone is sleek and trendy. A bulky device strapped to your wrist is corky- like a calculator watch. I really cant see this going mainstream unless they manage to pull off a design miracle.

bwana

MyBroadband
A phone is sleek and trendy. A bulky device strapped to your wrist is corky- like a calculator watch. I really cant see this going mainstream unless they manage to pull off a design miracle.
SA slang for dorky?

If they can keep it slim and sleek I think it will do pretty well.

Crowley

Executive Member
For a while now the Tame Apple Press has been running stories waxing lyrically about Apple’s forthcoming iWatch. WSJ, NYT, and Bloomberg have been telling us that it is the new “ipad” which will restore Apple’s crown as the great innovator in the tech industry. Yawn.
Anyway Apple hates leaks, which is why anything Applish appears in the Asian tech press. If the New York Times gets a rumour it is something that Jobs’ Mob actually wants out there. So it is starting to look like the real reason for the rumours, and why Apple is considering releasing an iWatch is because its former chum and worst enemy has built one of its own already. According to screenshots unearthed by SlashGear from a Korean messageboard, Samsung looks like it is building a smartwatch. The screen shots show a GALAXY Altius and it appears that the device has SKT and SKTelecom on several shots, this indicating that it will be carried with a data plan on that particular South Korean mobile service.

It is unlikely that an outfit like Apple did not know that Samsung was planning this, nor was this far down the line with production. Our guess is that Apple heard about the Samsung watch and decided to run a spoiler. It leaked out that it was making one so that when the Samsung watch appeared it could claim it invented it. Certainly in the public’s eye Apple has been the first to “leak” plans that a watch was coming out. The good side of this is if Samsung’s watch does not work, then Apple can shelf its own plans and said that the iWatch was just rumour and speculation.
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/30493-samsung-beats-apple-to-iwatch

nelwa

Expert Member
I'd bet they were just tired of their slipping stock price, so they created a rumour...

Avenue

Expert Member
SA slang for dorky?
You never heard that before? it means awkward and a little retarded.

If they can keep it slim and sleek I think it will do pretty well.
They would have to. I see it only interfaces with your phone, so that may be possible. I still think wearing a computer peripheral would still be seen as a little geeky though.

Last edited:

icyrus

Executive Member
Under pressure to come up with a new device category that will replicate the astonishing success of the iPad and iPhone, Apple is reportedly developing a computer wrist watch that will work in conjunction with its other gadgets.
It is amusing to see Apple described as under pressure.

JStrike

Honorary Master
I'd bet they were just tired of their slipping stock price, so they created a rumour...
Why would the company care about their share price???
They are in no position to be the focus of a hostile takeover, and as such their share price is irrelevant to them.
Their share price is of more interest to the institutional holders of their shares

icyrus

Executive Member
I sincerely doubt they feel pressure. It is the press and investors that want "The next Big Thing"
Exactly. It is however often used by the tech press to describe Apple. It is beyond idiotic though and a great sign that you can utterly dismiss that author's writings as trash.

Avenue

Expert Member
I sincerely doubt they feel pressure. It is the press and investors that want "The next Big Thing"
A company is only as good as it's latest offering, and in this game once you fall behind its a hard climb back to the top. Part of their appeal is their ability to innovate. Lose that and they could lose that astronomical trendy fan base. I think they are under a huge amount of pressure to remain the cool kids of the Tech playground.

JStrike

Honorary Master
A company is only as good as it's latest offering, and in this game once you fall behind its a hard climb back to the top. Part of their appeal is their ability to innovate. Lose that and they could lose that astronomical trendy fan base. I think they are under a huge amount of pressure to remain the cool kids of the Tech playground.
Apple has always innovated. However, the time spans are measured in years, not months (Lisa, Mac, iPod, iPhone and iPad).
I doubt they care one whit about what the media and some investors want.

Avenue

Expert Member
Apple has always innovated. However, the time spans are measured in years, not months (Lisa, Mac, iPod, iPhone and iPad).
I doubt they care one whit about what the media and some investors want.
But in the past few years they've upped their game, with huge reveals of their latest offerings, and new wow features almost becoming the norm. Look at the outcry when Iphone 5 didn't have too many amazing never before seen features. we got siri last time, now we just get a longer phone. oh yes im sure they do care what the media thinks, im sure they care deeply, because the media can make or break them. Most people I know who have iphones have them because they're trendy, just like most people had blackberries before that and nokia before that. If the media starts seeing them as has-beens, the crowds are going to move on and they fall back to their 10% market share.

Edit* and if the investors are unhappy, so is the board. And if the board is unhappy, management can start looking for new employment.

Last edited:

JStrike

Honorary Master
But in the past few years they've upped their game, with huge reveals of their latest offerings, and new wow features almost becoming the norm. Look at the outcry when Iphone 5 didn't have too many amazing never before seen features. we got siri last time, now we just get a longer phone. oh yes im sure they do care what the media thinks, im sure they care deeply, because the media can make or break them. Most people I know who have iphones have them because they're trendy, just like most people had blackberries before that and nokia before that. If the media starts seeing them as has-beens, the crowds are going to move on and they fall back to their 10% market share.

Edit* and if the investors are unhappy, so is the board. And if the board is unhappy, management can start looking for new employment.
Their actions in the past have shown that they do not care about the media, except in very extreme situations

Yes. But their investors by and large are happy. It is only some smaller ones that aren't.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Erm, but there is^b^b was one out already?

Old iPod Nano + strap? (Might be the reason the changed the design?)

Anyway, I like the new Pebble watches, if I would get one from current available models it would be a Pebble. Besides they work with whatever OS you change to, no need to buy a new watch if you change Phone.

icyrus

Executive Member

Ah the old Apple is only successful because of their marketing canard. Never gets tired does it.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Erm, but there is^b^b was one out already?

Old iPod Nano + strap? (Might be the reason the changed the design?)

Anyway, I like the new Pebble watches, if I would get one from current available models it would be a Pebble. Besides they work with whatever OS you change to, no need to buy a new watch if you change Phone.
The Pebble is pretty horrible. I regret funding it. Whatever it's functionality, it's a digital watch at the end of the day.
Sitting disused