Apple Mac Support

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Hi Cell C.

Where can i find drivers for the E1752 for Mac? I bought the dongle but wont work!
Go look in the Mac thread in the Vodacom forum. You can use the generic Huawei dash. One of the posts on the last 2 or 3 pages has a link to it.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Where can i find drivers for the E1752 for Mac? I bought the dongle but wont work!
According to the system requirements printed on the Cell C E1820 modem packaging, Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5 are supported with the latest upgrades.

Does it have the same on the E1752 packaging?

When the E1820 plugged the modem into a Mac, it appears as a CD-ROM device and a window opens with a Cell C icon, when double-clicked, the installer starts.

I have just tried on an iBook G4 running OS X 10.5.8 (with latest updates) and after a while I received the following error message:
The following install step failed: run postinstallscript for HWNetMgr. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Immediately after this, the Cell C application attempted to start but stopped with the following message:
Cannot launch Java application
Uncaught exception in main method: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/freedesktop Hal/IDBusInterface
The drivers did appear to install successfully though, and after some fiddling I managed to establish a dial-up networking connection.

_drew_

Cell C 4Gs & Macbook pro problems

Hi,

We have a macbook pro in the office. It's got a Cell C 4Gs USB modem attached. All installed quick and easy and the net works great. Problem is, we can't send emails from it, or upload using ftp, not even attach things to emails using the webmail for our domain. It would seem as though uploads do not work using the 3g at all. When we switch it back over to the work network (adsl) everything works perfectly.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jola

Honorary Master
Do you have decent reception at the office ? Is the light on the modem blue ?

If it's green then you have poor reception, it's only GPRS, or at best, Edge.

BTW, if the net works well, and not your emails then you need to set your POP3 and SMTP settings.

SMTP is used to send e-mails - change it to the Cell C SMTP settings - don't have them with me, unfortunately.

Edit : Cell C SMTP: mail.cmobile.co.za

Last edited:

_drew_

Yip, light is blue, downloads fly.

All settings are done and tested every combination we can think of.

Smtp server is authenticated as it should be, and tried without. At first we thought maybe Cell C would not let you relay off their network, but then we moved the 3g card to a windows 7 laptop right next to it, put the exact settings into the email client that are used on the macbook and it works perfectly.

Not sure where to go from here? It would seem there is an issue on the mac?

So

Jola

Honorary Master
Hmmm, I'm not a Mac person, maybe someone else can help ?

_drew_

Do you have decent reception at the office ? Is the light on the modem blue ?

If it's green then you have poor reception, it's only GPRS, or at best, Edge.

BTW, if the net works well, and not your emails then you need to set your POP3 and SMTP settings.

SMTP is used to send e-mails - change it to the Cell C SMTP settings - don't have them with me, unfortunately.

Edit : Cell C SMTP: mail.cmobile.co.za
Thanks for the reply. We tried that mail server, still no luck.

Could it not be some network setting on the mac. We can't upload at all. Dowloading and browsing the net all is good. Just no uploads, no ftp, no email sending. Very weird.

Sensorei

Expert Member
I'm seriously unimpressed. I just got a new Macbook Pro i7 and the Cell C USB modem won't even connect to the internet! Cell C didn't bother sorting out drivers for the new Macbook Pros.

I see somebody else has complained on Hellopeter.com with the same problem. So apparently if you have the new i5 or i7 Macbook Pro you can forget about using Cell C's 4G usb modems.

This is a breach of contract. Not cool.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I'm seriously unimpressed. I just got a new Macbook Pro i7 and the Cell C USB modem won't even connect to the internet! Cell C didn't bother sorting out drivers for the new Macbook Pros.

I see somebody else has complained on Hellopeter.com with the same problem. So apparently if you have the new i5 or i7 Macbook Pro you can forget about using Cell C's 4G usb modems.

This is a breach of contract. Not cool.
Perhaps this thread can help: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/274038-Mac-Support - There is a contact email address at the end.

Sensorei

Expert Member
Thanks morkhans, I sent them a email. I'll report back when I get a reply.

Sensorei

Expert Member
Tested the Cell C modem in another Macbook Pro i7 and same story. The modem definitely does not work on the i7 Macbook Pros but it does work on the older ones.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Tested the Cell C modem in another Macbook Pro i7 and same story. The modem definitely does not work on the i7 Macbook Pros but it does work on the older ones.
So is it a OS version issue or a hardware issue?

Sensorei

Expert Member
So is it a OS version issue or a hardware issue?
Its a hardware incompatibility issue. I have a clean install of Snow Leopard 10.6.4 running and the same OS setup works 100% with Cell C's modem on olders Macs. I still have not yet received an email with a solution from Cell C. BLEAK!

Jola

Honorary Master
Its a hardware incompatibility issue.
If this is the case then this issue goes much wider than Cell C - then it is an Apple - Huawei issue. More specifically an Apple problem, as the Huawei E1820 seems to work on all other hardware, PC's and routers.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
If this is the case then this issue goes much wider than Cell C - then it is an Apple - Huawei issue. More specifically an Apple problem, as the Huawei E1820 seems to work on all other hardware, PC's and routers.
I could agree with that line of thought.