Apple MacBook RAM Upgrade

SpoonTech

Hi,

My 13" Late 2011 MacBook Pro is always running low on RAM. I am looking to upgrade to 2 x 4 GB DDR3 SO-DIMM 1333MHz from the 2 x 2GB Apple DDR3 SO-DIM 1333 MHz chips currently installed. This thread (http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/305913-Ram-for-Macbook-Pro) exists, however it died out before my laptop was even released.

I assume Apple RAM is going to cost thousands of rands so I will avoid that option. I have only managed to find two online stores stocking potential options.

Nuimpact 2 x 4 = 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SO DIMM RAM Kit for R1395
http://www.macnificent.co.za/buy/ram/memory-upgrade/nuimpact-8gb-ddr3-1333mhz-so-dimm-ram-kit.html
This RAM is above my price range, (includes free installation in Rivonia which I don't care about).

This Corsair 2 x - 8GB DDR-1333MHz SO DIM RAM Kit for R866
http://www.sybaritic.co.za/store/product_info.php?products_id=43650

seems like it may work. Has anyone had any problems or complete success with Corsair Value / Vengeance products. I heard claims of not coming out of standby properly in 2009 but haven't read anything since. I am looking for advice that could save me the R500..

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
Hi,

seems like it may work. Has anyone had any problems or complete success with Corsair Value / Vengeance products. I heard claims of not coming out of standby properly in 2009 but haven't read anything since. I am looking for advice that could save me the R500..

Something is nagging at me - there was a thread about ram computability in an Esquire thread while back. Can't remember details. Lemme find it...

Sensorei

Executive Member
Esquire does not sell notebook RAM and now abd then when they do they never have stock.

Pada

Executive Member
I'd suggest you go for Patriot RAM modules and nothing else for Apple products.

I've had bad luck with Corsair RAM and Mac Mini's. Like a single 4GB Corsair module worked just fine, but as soon as I inserted another 4GB (identical) Corsair RAM module, it wouldn't work at all. I then bought 2x 4GB Patriot DDR3 modules and it worked perfectly.

Those 4GB Corsair modules are now installed in an Intel PC where it also works 100%.

I bought my Patriot RAM modules from takealot.com

Sensorei

Executive Member
Nonsense. I repair/buy/sell macs and there is a lot of RAM you can use. It's very rare that one is not compatible. Crucial, Kingston, Patriot, Samsung, Hynix, Apacer, Corsair all good as long as it is the same spec as the RAM that's currently in the mac.

Pada

Executive Member
@Sensorei:
Perhaps the latest Macs are more lenient?

The older Core2Duo Mac Mini's were very picky about the RAM. Like the Corsair RAM that didn't work, had the exact same specs (CL, voltage & speed) as the Patriot RAM that worked.

vinodh

Expert Member
Esquire does not sell notebook RAM and now abd then when they do they never have stock.

I bought 16 gig's of RAM for my MacBook Pro from Esquire and it worked fine. They currently have stock of the Kingston 8GB DDR 3 1333 modules for R699 excl VAT.

Sensorei

Executive Member
About time. The 3 times I have asked for notebook RAM at the Cape Town branch there was nothing. I shop there quite a bit.

SpoonTech

I'd suggest you go for Patriot RAM modules and nothing else for Apple products.

I've had bad luck with Corsair RAM and Mac Mini's. Like a single 4GB Corsair module worked just fine, but as soon as I inserted another 4GB (identical) Corsair RAM module, it wouldn't work at all. I then bought 2x 4GB Patriot DDR3 modules and it worked perfectly.

Those 4GB Corsair modules are now installed in an Intel PC where it also works 100%.

I bought my Patriot RAM modules from takealot.com

I have heard quite a lot of this. A person I live with has installed the NuImpact ones and they work perfectly, but at that price I will have to wait a while.