Apple needs iPhone 5 to standout from the crowd

TimTDP

Expert Member
Five years after the first iPhone upended the mobile industry,....

Don't they only have 25% market share? Or another way, 75% belongs to non Apple:erm:

R13...

Honorary Master
Don't they only have 25% market share? Or another way, 75% belongs to non Apple:erm:
They upended it in the sense that they made everyone follow what they were doing. They are responsible for the return of the touch device, the launch of android, the revisit of windows phone, the phenomenon of the app store among others. Hate them but they did cause all of the above, that is revolutionary any way you look at it.

Frikkenator

Expert Member
They upended it in the sense that they made everyone follow what they were doing. They are responsible for the return of the touch device, the launch of android, the revisit of windows phone, the phenomenon of the app store among others. Hate them but they did cause all of the above, that is revolutionary any way you look at it.

Yea I must agree with this, I despise them, but the market we have today is largely thanks to them.

speed_seeker

I have been using iOS6 beta, and am not that impressed with Apple's maps, the only plus they will have is that they will have turn-by-turn directions powered by TomTom which will also provide live traffic info (which works well in SA).

I have also been using Android( JellyBean ) on my Galaxy Nexus 7, it is definitely a far slicker os than iOS, but in terms of content the iTunes store(US version) is still a lot more comprehensive than what Google Play(cannot access us version in SA, unless you use a proxy which makes things quite slow) can offer

Last edited:

cerebus

Honorary Master
Frankly Apple Maps will struggle to keep up with Google and it might have been a mistake to cut them off.

Sodan

Expert Member
While Android is open and has a free-for-all approach, Apple’s closed system ensures consistency and drives consumer [-]loyalty[/-] lock-in, which in turn provides incentive to all-important developers to continue to invest in the platform.

Fixed.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Frankly Apple Maps will struggle to keep up with Google and it might have been a mistake to cut them off.
It takes two to tango - I doubt Apple was the only party not interested in re-licensing.

Besides, there's already a new youtube app out, I doubt the maps app is that far off - in the meantime there's still safari/chrome.
So if I bought an app from the android market place I could use it on another platform?

cerebus

Honorary Master
It takes two to tango - I doubt Apple was the only party not interested in re-licensing.

Besides, there's already a new youtube app out, I doubt the maps app is that far off - in the meantime there's still safari/chrome.
Yeah I know, I've just seen some things coming out of GMaps that I don't think anyone will be able to match.

if I bought an app from the android market place I could use it on another platform?
You should be able to run it on BB in the near future - because that's totally gonna save their business.

Biscuit1018

Expert Member

One needs to be careful about just looking at market share (what does it really mean on its own?)

Sure they may have a comparatively smaller market share BUT consider a few impressive stats

a) They are still growing

b) They have the lowest churn - a smaller % abandon iOS ecosystem than any other ecosystem. Very high levels of loyalty. Sure some techheads move but what % do they count for?

c) Share of Mobile Phone Market Profit - Getting volume without profit is like eating soup with a fork. Lots of work, no soup
Their share here is obscene. It is not just because they are premium priced but their control of the production cycle and the tie in to their software means they produce their stuff fairly cheaply
Call them overpriced if you want to but a price is what people are prepared to pay.

Last edited:

HBee

Expert Member
One needs to be careful about just looking at market share (what does it really mean on its own?)

Sure they may have a comparatively smaller market share BUT consider a few impressive stats

a) They are still growing

b) They have the lowest churn - a smaller % abandon iOS ecosystem than any other ecosystem. Very high levels of loyalty. Sure some techheads move but what % do they count for?

c) Share of Mobile Phone Market Profit - Getting volume without profit is like eating soup with a fork. Lots of work, no soup
Their share here is obscene. It is not just because they are premium priced but their control of the production cycle and the tie in to their software means they produce their stuff fairly cheaply
Call them overpriced if you want to but a price is what people are prepared to pay.

Are you a Blue bulls supporter by any chance ? They also relish any opportunity to live in the past.

Executive Member
So if I bought an app from the android market place I could use it on another platform?

Thats such a loaded question. No application will run off it's platform natively - but at least andriods platform can be used on other peoples hardware.

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
Are you a Blue bulls supporter by any chance ? They also relish any opportunity to live in the past.

Actually no. Are you a Lions supporter? (-;

Again why attack with no foundation?
You just throw stones without contributing logically.
How have you improved the groups knowledge?

All the stats mentioned are recent. iOS churn remains good. Their growth rate is public.

I think the haters on either side of the silly divide are not thinking.

Both Android and iOS ecosystems are excellent
And I am hoping that M/S joins that band soon.

For Android to be good, iOS does not have to be bad and vice versa

Don't you accept that Android can be better for your reasons just as iOS can be better for other reasons.
Some people like to tinker and change. Others enjoy something different. Neither are wrong.
There is also the investment debate. Once in an ecosystem its easier to change than to move

Why do the haters need to take down the other in order to elevate their own choice? Illogical.
Its like comparing two top car brands.

Last edited:

cerebus

Honorary Master
In any case Apple's insane growth levels are very much in the present.