Apple TV 4 - Apps, Tips & Tricks

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Ja saw that but thought weird that have to pay per month, I now get why!

You have done it? It works well? I tested a 4k android box over the weekend but immediately went back to my apple tv - just so much simpler than android.
I've used Kodi a lot, but not that service. Your first sentence doesn't make sense. Do you understand or not? If not, $1.99pm is a lot cheaper than a $99pa Apple developer license to load apps not present in the App Store.

I have used the latest gen Apple TV over my Android box for a while now, so I agree that it's the best streaming box on the market atm. Ease of use isn't the primary motivating factor for many Android box users though; it's their ability to run Kodi and other dubious environments that permit illegal behaviour. That said, some Android boxes are significantly better than others.

Awesum

Expert Member
Rather use ipastore or similar. You can sign more aps than just Kodi.

kaufen

I have two Apple TV 4's and while I don't need one now, I do have a 2 and 4 year old that use it.

Last edited:

Awesum

Expert Member
I'm experiencing a lot of buffering with Debrid streams in Kodi, but the same content plays fine if i use streams that are not debrid.
This is on my ATV 4, using ethernet and Telkom LTE.

Using Exodus and Elysium addons.

samcro

I'm experiencing a lot of buffering with Debrid streams in Kodi, but the same content plays fine if i use streams that are not debrid.

+1 ,
Also experiencing the same and i have a 50Mbps fibre connection.

fruitbat

Expert Member

Hi. Did I miss something. I didn't think kodi worked with ATV at all?

Care to share the how?

samcro

So the new ATV 4K doesn’t have a usb c port anymore.Think i will hold on to my current 4 for a while.

Hemps

Executive Member
Setup is ATV4 - Trendnet VDSL AC router - HTPC (Dualcore) so very basic, everything connected via Lan using Cat6 cable.
It was disappointing to find out the ATV4 lan is 10/100 Ethernet, VDSL router also 10/100 Ethernet, HTPC is Gigabit.

Every so often had issues using Plex and other apps on the ATV4 where it would tell me there is not enough bandwidth to stream from Plex server, it would also take a couple seconds to load the library.
Switched the cable and it didnt help.
Then gave WiFi a shot and viola, no more error and the library loads seconds faster than lan, who would of thought.

kab123

Really impressed with the apple TV 4k so far.

Maxed out video settings @ 4k with dolby vision looks superb. I can understand why physically media's days are now truly numbered.

Two things apple tv needs:

- Not sure what apple's idea with siri and sound is. But they really need to get with the program and just let the device pass through the sound. Be is DTS HD, Dolby THD or Atmos. Let the AV receiver do the sound. People pay big money for A/V processors. Let it go apple...this is not your territory.

- When ATV was released, apple made a deal with movie studios. $19.99 max per UHD movie and all movies already purchased to be upgraded to 4k free of charge (should such a version be released). Everybody thought that all other providers (like vudu) would be forced to drop prices to $19.99 aswell. Unfortunately this sort of back-fired and is currently in a stalemate as Disney did not agree to apple's pricing. So basically you can buy all Disney titles in 4k on Vudu for $24.99. On iTunes only HD versions are available at $19.99.

Disney is a rather important partner to have in this business and hopefully this disagreement is resolved soon. It's strange as apple and Disney have always been close. As far as I understand Disney are planning their own streaming service for 2019 so I'm not quite sure when that will leave Disney and iTunes.

Last edited:

Hemps

Executive Member
Want to sideload tvosbrowser to get dstv now, is it worth it, what is the quality like?
Can you adjust quality like in normal browser on laptop etc?

samcro

Want to sideload tvosbrowser to get dstv now, is it worth it, what is the quality like?
Can you adjust quality like in normal browser on laptop etc?
I have it on my Apple TV and it doesn’t work. It says you need to install flash player when you try to play something.The only thing that plays is Catch UP sports for some weird reason. Everything else just brings the flash player message which you can’t install.

snorbaard

Setup is ATV4 - Trendnet VDSL AC router - HTPC (Dualcore) so very basic, everything connected via Lan using Cat6 cable.
It was disappointing to find out the ATV4 lan is 10/100 Ethernet, VDSL router also 10/100 Ethernet, HTPC is Gigabit.

Every so often had issues using Plex and other apps on the ATV4 where it would tell me there is not enough bandwidth to stream from Plex server, it would also take a couple seconds to load the library.
Switched the cable and it didnt help.
Then gave WiFi a shot and viola, no more error and the library loads seconds faster than lan, who would of thought.
A lot of local-media streaming apps like Ples have problems with high-bandwidth video because they use the Apple-provided HFS streams instead of rolling their own. This means that they sometimes have to transcode more than really necessary, especially since the Apple TV 4K support HEVC etc.
I've found a 100% reliable alternative to the times Plex doesn't work to be Infuse. It's free, but to watch anything good you have to pony up R50 a year to pay for the royalty licenses for the advanced audio codecs. But Infuse streams the files to the ATV and decodes it insitu, and it has yet to ever fail me. The interface if a bit sucky, but something to look at.

fruitbat

Expert Member
Just lost my 2nd remote :-( the freaking cover came loose and the remote flew out. Not once but 3x. At least I have a spare that I got from dion wired a while back for 500bucks. Ordered a new cover and will be waiting for that to arrive before takin it out.
Hopefully that will last another 1-2yrs or so.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Just lost my 2nd remote :-( the freaking cover came loose and the remote flew out. Not once but 3x. At least I have a spare that I got from dion wired a while back for 500bucks. Ordered a new cover and will be waiting for that to arrive before takin it out.
Hopefully that will last another 1-2yrs or so.
What do you do with the thing?

I have my original remote now for probably three years and it’s taken many a tumble but remains solid.

You could consider a third party remote though.

fruitbat

Expert Member
What do you do with the thing?

I have my original remote now for probably three years and it’s taken many a tumble but remains solid.

You could consider a third party remote though.
Sadly the first one I dropped before I got a cover. My flooring is concrete so it’s unforgiving.

This one, all I know is the game was tennis. And between my 5yr old and my idiot mother in law. The cover was not staying on. I saw on 2 occasions it actually left the sleeve and slid out. When it was time for guests to leave I noticed the glass was shattered but still in tact. I assume it was my son who gets particularly carried away and not the M I L. However the deed is done, and I’ve got the spare as I didn’t think remote #2 would last this long. Hopefully the one I chose now is more snug than the griffon. Or at least with it being new it shouldn’t be as stretched / worn and actually hold the remote in. Or I guess I’ll be sticking something on the inside to keep it there! Maybe double sided tape.

The 3rd party remote. I guess that’s an option. Will see what’s out there.