Apple vs Samsung vs BlackBerry vs Nokia

Perhaps it is time to rate BlackBerry and Apple against each other as they are OS-Platform linked and leave multi-platform devices to their own, yes?

Blackberry is really falling lately. Wherever there's a BB Buddies stand, there's always a queue of disgruntled users.

I wonder what the satisfaction of phones like the galaxy S4 will be in a short while. I personally know of two people that have had S4's replaced after being water damaged and dropped, they were replaced free of charge by Samsung.
I cant ever imagine Apple doing that.

I would caution you to take this survey with a heavy dose of salt.

Several flaws as a result of the survey sampling frame.

Each company was measured through telephonic and web-survey methods at a statistically reliable sample of at least 270 respondents per company.

For telephonic interviews, usually it is the more affluent who have access to telephones. Further, the definition of telephonic needs to be made clear because it could mean only landlines, which is what I am guessing it was. These days, more households have cell phones than landlines, with landlines being acquired by only those who can afford to pay R150/mth even before they lift the handset up to make a tollfree call. The number of Waya-Waya (R120/annum line) owners is negligable and dwindling, since Telkom has since discontinued it if I am not mistaken.

Secondly, web-survey. The first question is, how many were web surveys of each of the 270 and how many were telephonic?

Assuming that web-surveys were in the majority since it is the easier and more convinient method, once again the bias would go towards the brand that appeals more to the affluent and well informed.

It is therefore not a surprise that iPhone and Samsung (Galaxy brand no doubt) were the more satisfied.

The statistics of cell phone ownership in South Africa are more in favor of BlackBerry and Nokia and most owners are in the lower LSMs. But, an analysis of the sampling methods seems to indicate that these were the same groups that were left out of the survey.

Naturally the bias would be in favor of Apple and Samsung as current BlackBerry and Nokia owners in higher LSMs would aspire to purchase the more affluent brands and would be disatisfied with beleaguered brands more due to perception than reality. In the United States for instances, Nokia Lumia owners were reporting satisfaction rates that were on par or higher than iPhone owners.

satisfaction%20by%20carrier.jpg
Link

The survey is only statistically representative of people with telephones (whatever that actually means) and those with access to the Internet. An entire population was left out of the study.

This study therefore, cannot be generalised to the entire South African population.

P.S. It would also be interesting to find out where and how they got their telephone numbers and web-survey respondents. In the research I quoted above, they seem to have used a quota system, taking representative numbers of each brand from the different mobile networks where the brands had a presence.

Last edited:
I wonder what the satisfaction of phones like the galaxy S4 will be in a short while. I personally know of two people that have had S4's replaced after being water damaged and dropped, they were replaced free of charge by Samsung.
I cant ever imagine Apple doing that.

Why not? They replaced one of my iPhones that I dropped

Let's not kid - iPhone users are a self-satisfied bunch.
They would rate their own fart smells highly if it had an Apple logo on it

Several flaws as a result of the survey sampling frame.

For telephonic interviews, usually it is the more affluent who have access to telephones....

BS....the gardeners/cleaners have cellphones where I work...heck the guys that sell stuff at the traffic lights have cellphones. Are you saying that these are only for decoration?

I'm surprised that Blackberry scored that high, I was expecting it to be more in the 40's.

BS....the gardeners/cleaners have cellphones where I work...heck the guys that sell stuff at the traffic lights have cellphones. Are you saying that these are only for decoration?

There's a difference between telephones and cellphones.

Why not? They replaced one of my iPhones that I dropped

So let me get this straight, you dropped an iphone and had visible damage that was caused as a result of that.
Then took it back to either an istore or network repair centre and it was replaced free of charge without insurance or anyone else getting involved?

So let me get this straight, you dropped an iphone and had visible damage that was caused as a result of that.
Then took it back to either an istore or network repair centre and it was replaced free of charge without insurance or anyone else getting involved?

He's most probably got iSurance that he pays for every month ;) :D

I also have strong reservations about the mechanics of this survey (and most like it).

There are behavioral economics at play with these things.

Example:

In a behavioral economics study done two separate groups of people were given the exact same cheap headache pill but with different sugar coatings. The one group was told that their pill costs $1, and the other group was told theirs is a new breakthrough drug costing $50 a pill. Guess what ... the $50 group all stated that the pill worked wonders and the $1 group said it didn't work at all. The outcome of the study? People who paid more are happier with their acquisitions. Jobs knew this and Apple was built on this principle.

“The extremes of satisfaction between Apple and Blackberry show that Apple pulls the average up and Blackberry pulls it down,” the SAcsi states.
Fruits, always skewing things.

IFor telephonic interviews, usually it is the more affluent who have access to telephones.

For a survey on peoples satisfaction with phones brand, it may be a good a idea to speak to people who do have phones. But that's just me what do I know. :(

Back