Apple Watch launch window announced

Dolby

Honorary Master
Whew!

I need an Apple thread ... day was a little slow.

Should I start by saying this revolutionary ?
Or just average ?

JStrike

Honorary Master
Whew!

Or just average ?
Probably see what effect it has on the industry/culture first?

cerebus

Honorary Master
Whew!

Or just average ?
We could always have a thread discussing their record breaking quarterly earnings last night.

cerebus

Honorary Master
And pricey...
R50 000 for a wristwatch that will be obsolete in a few years. Yeah pricey. Wonder how they're going to deal with the whole obsolescence thing with a watch. Not exactly going to be a family heirloom is it?

JStrike

Honorary Master
R50 000 for a wristwatch that will be obsolete in a few years. Yeah pricey. Wonder how they're going to deal with the whole obsolescence thing with a watch. Not exactly going to be a family heirloom is it?
People don't pay R50 000 for a high end watch for it to be an heirloom . I buy them because I like it, and it is fairly rare.

Dolby

Honorary Master
People don't pay R50 000 for a high end watch for it to be an heirloom . I buy them because I like it, and it is fairly rare.
A real watch.

I think anyone would be silly to pay much more than R5,000.00 a Smartwatch

JStrike

Honorary Master
Although the Apple Watch with the Milanese strap is also very pretty...

Maverick Jester

The Special One
It is pricey for something that is a gadget by definition.

Yes, but at least in that instance, you are buying an item of status and appreciation. The Apple Watch will be obsolete within a few years of it being bought.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Why a limited array of watches?
What about the other iOS8 devices?
I thought the support of legacy product was a big thing for Apple?

It will work with the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, and iPhone 5s, Apple said at the announcement.

JStrike

Honorary Master
It is pricey for something that is a gadget by definition.

Yes, but at least in that instance, you are buying an item of status and appreciation. The Apple Watch will be obsolete within a few years of it being bought.
Status yes, appreciation in value? I have never found people to even consider that when buying a high end watch.
As for whether it will be "obsolete" in a few years, I doubt people will care about that either. People don't tend to analyse these decisions that much. It is generally along the lines of "I feel like a new watch, lets go see what Cartier, Breitling etc have". Just add Apple Watch Edition to that list