Apple's Independent Repair programme has major issues

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Apple's Independent Repair programme has major issues

iPhone and Mac repairers should carefully consider whether they would benefit from joining Apple’s Independent Repair Provider (IRP) programme, which will be launching in South Africa soon.

According to Apple, the idea of the IRP programme is to give third party repair shops access to genuine Apple parts, tools, repair manuals, and diagnostics to offer safe and reliable repairs for out-of-warranty Apple products.

To qualify, repair providers need to commit to have an Apple-certified technician perform the repairs at a walk-in shop.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
"In the case that it finds that more than 2% of a repair business’s transactions involved these products, it could impose a $1,000 (around R14,550) fine per transaction which occurred during the audit period.

Since the IRP programme only covers batteries, displays, cameras, speakers, and taptic engines, this introduces a problem for certain repairers who offer repairs of other components."

So it's poor contract wording then because any reasonable person would assume that they only have jurisdiction over policing products they can supply

MeestaR

Expert Member
TL;DR.
Do not join the programme in the first place. Apple will ruin you in both ways. It's almost like signing a contract with the devil.
5 years after leaving the programme, Apple is still legally able to do inspections? Tsek.

Louis Rossmann is a good guy, fighting for the better good, he knows what the repair industry look like, because he is part of it.
I watch a great deal of his videos, from replacing a connector to a USB-C controller chip. Interesting stuff.

eg2505

Honorary Master
apple dont want repairs, they want sales!
a customer who buys something else makes them happy, a customer who fixes it, makes them sad.

honestly, better just buy a Ihammer and give that to the repair shops, tell them if they bring in a device, use the Ihammer to break it into a 1000 pieces.
and go buy another,

Looney

Executive Member
Life is way to short to own a Apple product. I had a iPhone 5 then a few years later the 8. I cannot see why so many people jiz themselves over these things.

I feel pretty much the same about Android lol.

epah

Expert Member
Life is way to short to own a Apple product. I had a iPhone 5 then a few years later the 8. I cannot see why so many people jiz themselves over these things.
Used android for one month then went back to apple, android is a pain for me.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
From experience, Apple repairs in general are a big headache.
I am qualified and have access to the software to do repairs under this program, but the amount of admin and red tape involved in just one 'official' repair is ridiculous.

On the other hand, Apple has changed their product in such a way that the moment you replace a screen (even if it is a original Apple product) stuff like the facial recognition will not work and the device will permanently show a message that 'your parts may not be original' until you run the device through Apple's calibration software. This requires a software wipe before it can be performed and a 15 minute cry session from a customer over their d1ck picks that are now gone.

I've basically stopped doing Apple repairs. I just tell people to go and buy a decent non Apple device.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Flippen best news ever for apple users. Core Group is apparently nothing but a pain to work with.

However, as others have said....

Shame.

ronald911

Expert Member
Is it that much easier to replace parts of high end Samsung phones?

Greendee

The journalist forgot to mention that Vodacom Repairs also performs warranty repairs on the Apple iPhone and iPad products as well as covers warranty on all other Networks which includes MTN,Telkom,Cell C and iStore... just mentioning it.

Mekon

Expert Member
I feel pretty much the same about Android lol.
Sure it is a matter of preference. I have a 3 year old Motorols G6+, it just works flawlessly so I have never bothered replacing it. What is a pain are Apple fans who over obsess about Apple products like those weirdo's that will go camp out in front of a iStore to be the first to have the next new iPhone?

Norrad

Expert Member
^ This. I created an Apple monster when I bought my son his first iPad and iPhone. He was constantly trying to force me to go to the store when they released new versions. Luckily I now have him on Android after giving him my Nokia 7 and he loves it. Still can't get the iPad away from him though and he is eyeing out my MacBook Air M1 which I will probably replace with a normal laptop in the next month or so.

jeevadotnet

Shame, people still stuck on the "Apple vs Samsung/android " debate. Just shows your ignorance. This is 2021 not 2015.

The issue here is RightToRepair. Apple and Samsung both have these shady antics, Serialization.

This is the whole reason why I don't have a single Samsung device in my house and my G/Fs apple devices she had when she moved in to be replaced with non-apple, pro RightToRepair alternatives when EOL.

My experience with Huawei (Canal Walk) was exactly the same. When my Smart Watch 2 battery started to deteriorate they told me the battery cannot be replaced and I must buy a new watch. Even though there are DIY fixes on YouTube. I asked them to source me a battery at least (since I was unable to ship one from oversea) . They refused.

Watch was under warranty and got swapped out for a new one but when I asked them what happens to the old one they said it's going to landfill.

Which is one of the fights of RightToRepair, to stop fully working electronics ending up on landfills and scum like Apple, Samsung, etc trying to punt us with new devices when something breaks.

Apple is obviously a high standing tree and easiest to expose hence they are in the spotlight for electronics RightToRepair, just like John Deere with their absolute corrupt way with tractors. However there are maaaaaany companies that are lobbying against RightToRepair.

In the automotive anti RightToRepair saga in Massachusetts, US, Ford literally ran adverts on TV telling people they are going to be raped and killed if a 3rd party mechanic were to fix their vehicle. Luckily people saw through it and the automobile RightToRepair ballot was won 75% to 25%.

Anyone who supports anti RightToRepair company can't say anything bad about anyone or any company in life, because you're just as big scum as them.

Last edited: