Are Openweb throttling capped accounts?

DJ...

Banned
I recently got my neighbour on to Openweb's 100 gig capped account. Supposedly unshaped and unthrottled. I am also on the OW 100gig capped account and have been happy, BUT:

He came over to ask me to help him with his persistently slow internet connection on his 10Mb line. What I discovered was rather troubling:

His line is syncing perfectly at 10Mb with fantastic line stats. Tracerts show no issues whatsoever in the routing. He logged a ticket with Openweb and Leoni told him that his account was fine and that he needs to call Telkom for a port reset, which is hogwash as I arranged a port reset for him three days ago.

Basically his account is being throttled on all protocols to 512Kbps on a 10Mb uncapped service. All speedtests showed the same thing. So I plugged my Openweb account details in, and bang - full speed. Plugged his back in, and throttled to 512Kbps.

So we went over to my place and plugged his account details into my router. What do you know - throttled to 512Kbps on all speedtests and all protocols. Put my account details back in and bang - running at full line speed. The support ticket I read showed that Leoni stated that there are absolutely no issues and his problem is a Telkom issue. Now that is complete nonsense! This is clearly ISP account related.

The only conclusion that I can arrive at is that his account is being shared with others (as others have reported over the last few weeks in the Openweb thread) or Openweb are throttling this capped account. This isn't even shaping - this is the entire internet experience on that account that is rate-throttled to 512Kbps.

So one has to ask how many capped account users are being throttled or even shaped without their knowledge.

Would like to hear Openweb's official response to this in public. Dishing out a new account to him will not be sufficient to answer this question - we require a detailed explanation as to how his capped account could possibly end up rate throttled to such an extent if it isn't shaping or throttling, the latter being the most likely. This issue, he tells me, has been on-going for some time now and has ended up with him on the phone to Telkom each day, with them now sending out a technician, which he is likely going to have to pay an unnecessary call-out fee, as we can now be certain that this is an ISP issue, even though he was told by Openweb support otherwise.

Why did Leoni pass on the incorrect information to the customer?
Why was his account rate throttled to 512Kbps?
How many other customers are affected by this?
What are Openweb going to do about this?

I'd post a part of the account username, but Openweb dish out the same password to most accounts so it's likely to be nicked if I do. Certainly not happy with what I've read and now seen with Openweb over the last few weeks...

cableguy

OpenWeb rep
Company Rep
Hi DJ

Capped accounts are not throttled or shaped in any way.

Kindly PM me the account details. Also please ask your friend to answer some security questions I will ask you so that I can test the account myself.

All capped accounts will also have their usage stats enabled by default, which will be emailed to the client daily.
I recently got my neighbour on to Openweb's 100 gig capped account. Supposedly unshaped and unthrottled. I am also on the OW 100gig capped account and have been happy, BUT:

He came over to ask me to help him with his persistently slow internet connection on his 10Mb line. What I discovered was rather troubling:

His line is syncing perfectly at 10Mb with fantastic line stats. Tracerts show no issues whatsoever in the routing. He logged a ticket with Openweb and Leoni told him that his account was fine and that he needs to call Telkom for a port reset, which is hogwash as I arranged a port reset for him three days ago.

Basically his account is being throttled on all protocols to 512Kbps on a 10Mb uncapped service. All speedtests showed the same thing. So I plugged my Openweb account details in, and bang - full speed. Plugged his back in, and throttled to 512Kbps.

So we went over to my place and plugged his account details into my router. What do you know - throttled to 512Kbps on all speedtests and all protocols. Put my account details back in and bang - running at full line speed. The support ticket I read showed that Leoni stated that there are absolutely no issues and his problem is a Telkom issue. Now that is complete nonsense! This is clearly ISP account related.

The only conclusion that I can arrive at is that his account is being shared with others (as others have reported over the last few weeks in the Openweb thread) or Openweb are throttling this capped account. This isn't even shaping - this is the entire internet experience on that account that is rate-throttled to 512Kbps.

So one has to ask how many capped account users are being throttled or even shaped without their knowledge.

Would like to hear Openweb's official response to this in public. Dishing out a new account to him will not be sufficient to answer this question - we require a detailed explanation as to how his capped account could possibly end up rate throttled to such an extent if it isn't shaping or throttling, the latter being the most likely. This issue, he tells me, has been on-going for some time now and has ended up with him on the phone to Telkom each day, with them now sending out a technician, which he is likely going to have to pay an unnecessary call-out fee, as we can now be certain that this is an ISP issue, even though he was told by Openweb support otherwise.

Why did Leoni pass on the incorrect information to the customer?
Why was his account rate throttled to 512Kbps?
How many other customers are affected by this?
What are Openweb going to do about this?

I'd post a part of the account username, but Openweb dish out the same password to most accounts so it's likely to be nicked if I do. Certainly not happy with what I've read and now seen with Openweb over the last few weeks...

DJ...

Banned
I decided to go over and test if this is shaping or not. Turns out it almost certainly is shaping!

I ran a speedtest and he was running at full speed again. So I unpaused his SABNZBD and let an nntp download shoot off quick. Immediately the nntp connection dropped to 50Kb/s. So I ran a speedtest again, and here is the result:

Openweb_shaping.png

Throttled again down to 512Kbps.

So I took the account and plugged it in to my line at my house again, to rule out any network and line errors on his end, and I got the same result:

Openweb_shaping_2.png

So clearly the nntp download chucked this account into a shaping pool, which as we know continues for at least an hour after the download is stopped/complete. Hence why he got full line speed back, and then was promptly shaped again the moment the nntp download started.

So from where I stand, this is clear evidence of a capped account being throttled (not shaped) as all protocols are being rate limited, not just downloads. The entire account is rate-limited down to around 512Kbps...

DJ...

Banned
cableguy, you have PM, but would prefer that the answer be provided in public, or I will post the responses here either way.

As a fellow capped account user, I am mightily concerned about this...

DJ...

Banned
Capped accounts are not throttled or shaped in any way.

My evidence says otherwise. The moment an nntp download was unpaused his download speed went from full speed to 512Kbps. On two separate occasions. On both occasions it went down to 512Kbps. That's not random, nor coincidental. It also remained that way for a while afterwards as it does when shaping is applied.

As for usage stats, I too receive them, and they never tie up with my own Networx monitor monitoring my router's internet traffic via snmp, so I've never actually been able to reconcile my usage with Openweb's usage reports, so no longer realy pay all that much attention to them other than to check when I'm about to be capped...

DJ...

Banned
Just popped over and all is working fine again. Shot off an nntp download and it doesn't result in the line being shaped any longer.

cableguy, whatever you did, it resolved the problem.

Can you now share with us what the problem was? Because it looks, feels, and smells like shaping. I cannot for the life of me figure out another reason why nttp downloads would consistently result in his speeds being throttled to 512Kbps...

MickeyD

RIP
... and if it was a simple error (accidents happen) then admit it, fix it and everyone lives happily ever after.

cableguy

OpenWeb rep
Company Rep
I havent changed anything yet.

I am unable to access the account until I provide the security answers.

Please forward me these asap so that I can start the investigation

Just popped over and all is working fine again. Shot off an nntp download and it doesn't result in the line being shaped any longer.

cableguy, whatever you did, it resolved the problem.

Can you now share with us what the problem was? Because it looks, feels, and smells like shaping. I cannot for the life of me figure out another reason why nttp downloads would consistently result in his speeds being throttled to 512Kbps...

DJ...

Banned
Cool, then we'll all just put it down to magic then, right.

PM sent...

DJ...

Banned
It's now pointless running tests on the account as it is - it's working great. Seems the shaping was lifted.

You'll need to check the logs instead, and you'll see multiple logins from different numbers - his and mine. Both were rate limited, while my account which is identical was not - same happened on both lines, so certainly Openweb account related.

If it was an error then I need to know, as having your support tell him it's a Telkom fault and him arranging for a site visit on this nonsense information is unacceptable. The response to tickets about slow speeds should actually be investigated rather than fobbing it off as a Telkom issue by default. I've now had to spend my public holiday free time helping him get this sorted out because of your poor support, and he's in all likelihood going to be charged an unnecessary call-out fee for a techie to come confirm that the issue was ISP related if he can't cancel it in time. In addition, we're still stuck with this looking like a shaping issue on a capped account. So to say that I'm rather pissed off about this is an understatement...

MickeyD

RIP
It's now pointless running tests on the account as it is - it's working great. Seems the shaping was lifted.

You'll need to check the logs instead, and you'll see multiple logins from different numbers - his and mine. Both were rate limited, while my account which is identical was not - same happened on both lines, so certainly Openweb account related.

If it was an error then I need to know, as having your support tell him it's a Telkom fault and him arranging for a site visit on this nonsense information is unacceptable. The response to tickets about slow speeds should actually be investigated rather than fobbing it off as a Telkom issue by default. I've now had to spend my public holiday free time helping him get this sorted out because of your poor support, and he's in all likelihood going to be charged an unnecessary call-out fee for a techie to come confirm that the issue was ISP related if he can't cancel it in time. In addition, we're still stuck with this looking like a shaping issue on a capped account. So to say that I'm rather pissed off about this is an understatement...
And Telkom charge a call out fee if they find no fault...

Necuno

Court Jester
Perhaps they share cap accounts as well... who knows... it is OW after all.

cableguy

OpenWeb rep
Company Rep
I have replied to the PM.

It seems like this was a topup issue. The client was softcapped as it seems like their topup failed for some reason.

We have corrected the issue.

I have also logged a fault with technical to see why the topup failed. It should have loaded the data immediately but it not.

We apologise for the inconvenience

akescpt

Honorary Master
It's past 5 anyways. Not familiar with latest excuses but it was usually Telkom. And judging by cableguys responses there will be nothing forthcoming in an acknowledgement from OW. Which is how they deal with these situations.

Throttling is a word that's not used by OW. You should know that Dj.

DJ...

Banned
But capped accounts are not soft-capped, they're hard-capped. If it was manually moved to a soft-cap, then whoever did so would have resolved the problem at the same time, surely? And why did Leoni not see this and resolve it when the original support ticket was logged?

akescpt

Honorary Master
But capped accounts are not soft-capped, they're hard-capped. If it was manually moved to a soft-cap, then whoever did so would have resolved the problem at the same time, surely? And why did Leoni not see this and resolve it when the original support ticket was logged?

More good questions.

Necuno

Court Jester
Note the magical absence of mrbeep or shall we rather now use mrshare...
It's past 5 anyways. Not familiar with latest excuses but it was usually Telkom. And judging by cableguys responses there will be nothing forthcoming in an acknowledgement from OW. Which is how they deal with these situations.

Throttling is a word that's not used by OW. You should know that Dj.

cableguy

OpenWeb rep
Company Rep
As I explained via PM, we are trialing soft capping on some accounts.

It was supposed to be a future surpise, but i'm afraid the cat is out of the bag.

If the network handles it well, we will move away from hardcapping, as it is a harsh way of dealing with matters