Are Powerline adapters good?

franharris89

I am thinking of adding a computer upstairs in our house, but the router is downstairs.

I was looking at Wifi, but I found this Powerline network system which seems cheaper and more stable

These looks really good, no new wires, just plug one powerline adapter into a power plug near the router (correct?) and the other on plug in a socket near the computer.

Seems like a simple set up, and they say 500 Mbps which seems fast, good enough for gaming (right?)

Look like there is a lot of adapters to choose from, but some are HomePlug certified, and some are not (the above are).

What is this HomePlug certification, is it important?

Is HomePlug certified faster?

Anyone using Powerline, and how do they like it?

simm_card

Expert Member
I've installed close to 20 Billion Homeplugs (lol 20 billion) and all of them are still good. Almost like sitting next to router or directly plugged into it. As long as the powerlines are on one circuit.

simm_card

Expert Member
Good price, you want non wireless?

No gigabit, took a while for 500mbps to come out. Not sure but heard about too much electrical interferences???

DominionZA

Executive Member
Good price, you want non wireless?

No gigabit, took a while for 500mbps to come out. Not sure but heard about too much electrical interferences???

I would like wireless but only if 500Mbps for my wired stuff.
Would also prefer the socket replacement type as above.
Busy browsing around now looking at options a prices.

Dean

Expert Member
As far as I know, both power outlets have to be on the same phase.

I used some a few years ago, think they were around 300mbps. Sometimes they worked, other times not... I didn't bother too much with them though. It's possible that they may have improved since (I've also never heard of any certification).

On a related note; is there any easy way to check whether certain plugs are on the same phase (for this purpose)?

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
I'm quite happy with mine - Trendnet something or other - bought a while back before I discovered the TP-Link range.

I have old house so I don't get great throughput BUT it's much better than wireless, so happy.

tRoN

Executive Member
I have used them successfully to connect my router to my mede8er when the wifi turned out useless.
It works great even with HD video.
When I tried to add another homeplug for my smart TV I realized that that plug was on a different circuit so then no luck!

atomcrusher

Expert Member
I've installed close to 20 Billion Homeplugs (lol 20 billion) and all of them are still good. Almost like sitting next to router or directly plugged into it. As long as the powerlines are on one circuit.

Therein lies a problem. In a properly wired house it would surely be usual for plugs in different parts of the house to be on different circuit breakers (CB)?
This is the case in my home. For example all kitchen plugs are on one CB, the lounge & dining area in on another CB, the master bedroom is on another CB, and the other 2 bedrooms on yet another CB.

chrisc

Executive Member
I have fitted several and all worked much better than standard wi-fi. Just make sure the plugs you intend to use are on the same phase, if it is a 3-phase supply.

Switch off the main circuit breakers one at a time until the first plug goes off. Then check that the other plug is also off. Yes = OK, no = it won't work

atomcrusher

Expert Member
@chrisc4290 ... I understand that in a 3-phase-wired house, they would have to be on the same phase.
But are you also confirming that both plug outlets (i.e. where the billion units are used) also have to be switched by the same CB?

chrisc

Executive Member
@chrisc4290 ... I understand that in a 3-phase-wired house, they would have to be on the same phase.
But are you also confirming that both plug outlets (i.e. where the billion units are used) also have to be switched by the same CB?

Just to be sure you understand it properly

In a 3 phase supply, you have 3 separate live cables
These should each have their own circuit-breaker ahead of the regular breakers for lights and plugs

What you want to do is switch off phase 1's circuit breaker. Now check this plug. If it is still on. switch phase 1 back on and switch off phase 2, etc
Lets assume that when you switched off phase 2 the plug ceased to work, ok?
Now go and check the plug in the other room and see whether it is live or not. If it is dead, then this means both plugs are on the same phase
However, it is still live, this means it is on a different phase

You need the live wires to both plugs to come from the same phase

Use a lamp to check it, this is probably the easiest

It does not matter if there is a separate circuit breaker for the individual plugs on the regular DB board

cb123.jpg

Last edited:

B@rrels

Expert Member
I have 4 TP-Link powerline units installed in my house and granny flat as well and not all are off the same circuit breaker and have no problem getting connected to internet.The connection speed on all are different but can still download at 200Kb/s? on a 2 Meg line.

DominionZA

Executive Member
I have 4 TP-Link powerline units installed in my house and granny flat as well and not all are off the same circuit breaker and have no problem getting connected to internet.The connection speed on all are different but can still download at 200Kb/s? on a 2 Meg line.

Which ones exactly are you using? After I read the threads prior to yours I all but abandoned the idea as I have quite a few circuit breakers on my house and about to put in more to split things up further due to my house being 7 rooms and sharing CB's among some of the rooms trips the CB.

Reading your post got the idea planted again and I am keen to try them out. Would like to use the exact same ones as you though as I am weary of doing trial and error with such expensive little devices :)

B@rrels

Expert Member
Which ones exactly are you using? After I read the threads prior to yours I all but abandoned the idea as I have quite a few circuit breakers on my house and about to put in more to split things up further due to my house being 7 rooms and sharing CB's among some of the rooms trips the CB.

Reading your post got the idea planted again and I am keen to try them out. Would like to use the exact same ones as you though as I am weary of doing trial and error with such expensive little devices :)

I have the TL-PA211 model I got off bid or buy but Uniterm are the agents for them.I would search on TP-Link.com to see which model would suit you.

atomcrusher

Expert Member
You need the live wires to both plugs to come from the same phase
Understood re: the 3-phase (which I do not have).
I'm just a bit puzzled that the Billion system can work across circuits, which may be controlled by different circuit breakers.
As I understand it, the circuit breakers, when OFF, isolate that CBs entire circuit (while other CBs in the ON position will still be live.

Now, as each CB on the household DB, switches different circuits, and the CBs by law must switch the "live" conductor line, the Billion system could not work across every different circuit if some of the CBs controlling those circuits were in the OFF position, i.e. thereby isolating the 'live' conductor.

Therefore the Billion data-distribution system must either be conducted on (1) the earth line, or (2) the neutral line, and not on the live line, as neither the earth, nor neutral, is switched by a CB - am I correct?