Ask Paul Butschi anything about Cool Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Paul Butschi is the co-founder of Cool Ideas, which is the top ISP in the fibre-to-the-home market.

We are giving you an opportunity to ask Paul anything about Cool Ideas. He will also select the best question, and the person who asked this question will win a Google Chromecast.

There are some basic Ask Anything rules. A summary:

• One question per post. If you have multiple questions, use multiple posts.
  • No personal attacks
  • No support questions (like “My Cool Ideas service …”)
  • No unsavoury questions
  • No trolling
  • No “Why don’t you answer my question?” posts
  • Keep it clean and civil, and ensure the discussion is constructive
Please post your questions in this thread. Paul will select and start to answer your questions at 12:00 on Wednesday 20 June.

Last edited:

rpm

Admin
Staff member
What is Cool Ideas doing well which has resulted in you topping the ISP rankings this year?

OCP

Expert Member
Good morning Paul.

Your staff are all friendly, professional, informed and genuine.
How did you manage to foster such an amazing team and how do you keep them motivated?

blaakies

Hi Paul,

As an online gamer in South Africa, we are very restricted to our region due to latency but, will Cool Ideas be looking into being the first ISP to make use of the new under sea cables connecting South Africa to Brazil - US East once this is up and running?

Last edited:

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Good Day
So I am aware that you have some very talented people working for you (one of which I have known for a long time) and this is largely a contributor to your success. What are your plans going forward, since I don't hear a lot about your company (I presume you prefer not to advertise as much, as others and rather let the product do the talking). I am in the market for FTTH but I would like to know lots more, and whether your future strategy would involve partnering with Fibre providers that may or may not accelerate the pace of FTTH deployment in SA.

Nixnax

Great to see you on-line as it were!
The FTTH is becoming fiercely competitive. In a similar vein to Moore's Law with more players etc, do you envisage better speeds, lower prices etc, or similar in the near future?

Last edited:

wizardofid

Executive Member
It's always important to be innovative and constantly evolving in the market place, what is the mission statement and philosophy that drives cool ideas to achieve innovation and market excellence where others have failed.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
What made you decide to start Cool Ideas? When did that switch flip in your head that made you realize you just had to start this business?

wizardofid

Executive Member
What is the weirdest or most difficult support question that needed to be answered and solved ?.

DTBA

Expert Member
Paul,

The people you rent international bandwidth from. If you have problem with a fault on their side is there anything build it to cover you in the agreement, if they don't resolve the issue in a timely matter?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Locally produced online content... do you think it would to a good vehicle to promote your services?

Chris1001

Hi Paul,
I just signed up with Cool Ideas moving from another ISP. It was a memorable experience and your staff were most helpful and courteous, immediately replying to emails and sorting problems. What a difference from my previous experience - they did not even acknowledge that I wanted to go and left it to Vumatel to tell me when the changeover would be made.
My question is this: what is the optimum speed that you need for streaming. I had 50/50 but this was always buffering at night on international streams. I have now moved to 100/100 which I hope will not do that. The TV is plugged into the ethernet and is not using WiFi which is dreadful, even with a 2.4 and 5 band router. Looking forward to working together.

BrendanMc

Expert Member
Hi Paul,

Where do you see Cool Ideas in a years time? in terms of service offerings and and general market innovations?

eg2505

Honorary Master
Hi Paul,

what makes Cool Ideas different and what are your focusing on to stand out from the crowd in the ISP space, as its beginning to get very crowded
with many ISP's all offering similar services and products.

gmanjozi

Hi Paul,

What are your medium to long-term plans, in this highly competitive market that is FTTH, to retain (and keep happy) current customers like myself, as well as increase your market share?

henco1989

Hello Paul.

I have seen Cool Ideas doing Fibre all over. Why not cover a place like Klerksdorp? We have huge subscriber numbers that would want fibre. DFA and Lightfibre has fibre all over Klerksdorp, but none of it is being used. No fibre connections available yet.

Thembanator

How does one become a part of Cool Ideas ?

My experience in working for , Fibrehoods,Vumatel sales,Afrihost training as well as Open Serve makes me the best candidate fora variety positions, I also have an extensive background in ticket systems,account management,remote assistance,Cpanel,WebHostManagement,GIS systems,Connectivity configurations including PPPOE and DHCM.

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
Vumatel announced that the download speed will be the same as the connection speed of the user. How does this have an effect on the ISPs compared to that of ADSL?

GrammatonCleric

Are there plans to build a usage tracker?
It's great that you offer unshaped, uncapped packages, but it would be nice to see how much data is used on a daily basis for subscribers who'd like to see how much data they consume

Status
Not open for further replies.