mercurial

MyBB Legend
Hi guys

So I've been looking around for something like Wordpress but ASP.NET based. I've had a look and found one that I was impressed with (DotNetNuke) but I noticed that 99% of the skins you have to pay for, which sucks and defeats the point. This is where Wordpress is awesome. Anyway. I know there are others, such as Orchard (which I do not want) etc but I would like to hear from you, if you have used any ASP.NET CMS and what your experience and thoughts are about them.

Thanks

shauntir

I have only used Orchard - so my post might not be much help to you.

I like it since it is done in ASP.Net MVC from the start. The community is small but continuously improving. The architecture is solid and a bit hard to understand and get used to. I was also able to add in a bootstrap custom developed template to it after partially understanding "content parts".

PM me if you would like to have a look at the site. NB: the site is still in development and some links are to be added. Also, waiting for some more content to be added to the site.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Thanks for the info. The reason I don't want to use Orchard right now is because I don't know MVC yet but I will learn it in the coming months. Also, Orchard's UI really didn't look user friendly. I might use it in the future but for now, I need something that is easier to work with. I'm also thinking in terms of the clients. I need something that will be easy for anyone to use with some basic training. This is where WordPress and Dotnetnuke is good.

Pakka

Expert Member
Thanks for mentioning Orchid. I'm also looking for a CMS built with MVC

shauntir

Thanks for the info. The reason I don't want to use Orchard right now is because I don't know MVC yet but I will learn it in the coming months. Also, Orchard's UI really didn't look user friendly. I might use it in the future but for now, I need something that is easier to work with. I'm also thinking in terms of the clients. I need something that will be easy for anyone to use with some basic training. This is where WordPress and Dotnetnuke is good.

Agreed. It was difficult to manage and get used to. If a client had to use the backend, they wouldn't know where to start. Wordpress is certainly one of the easiest to use.

shogun

Expert Member
There's a huge gap between the commercial CMS's like sitefinity ($$$$$) and the free ones like orchard in the .Net world.

I'm also struggling to find one that's "worth it".

Looks like .Net CMS's are far behind where they should be.

MielieSpoor

Expert Member
I have been working on Orchard for the last couple of months. The company I am at runs their public websites using orchard and also internal systems - along with SharePoint.

Don't be afraid of MVC, its actually a lot easier than you might think. Just spend a week or so getting used to it and before you know, you won't turn back to normal ASP .NET.

Also, you would be amazed at the size of company's that run their websites on Orchard. Have a look at Toyota South Africa - they apparently launched a few months back.