ASUS EEEPC 901

<moLe>

Expert Member
just find the eeepc to be like asus's prank of the year..expecting to see an asus advert coming out soon where a guy jumps out and goes "gotcha!"..Just think it wiser to rather spend a little more and buy a proper notebook, or if u want to do small just buy yourself an HTC?

http://www.have2have.co.za/ <<<should have it

Last edited:

hawker

Honorary Master
Thanks, they do have it. I have done my research and I know what I want. I have a pretty decent desktop, i just need something small to take notes, check email etc While I am on the move.

<moLe>

Expert Member
Thanks, they do have it. I have done my research and I know what I want. I have a pretty decent desktop, i just need something small to take notes, check email etc While I am on the move.
cool hope it works for you

squirrel

Expert Member
just find the eeepc to be like asus's prank of the year..expecting to see an asus advert coming out soon where a guy jumps out and goes "gotcha!"..Just think it wiser to rather spend a little more and buy a proper notebook, or if u want to do small just buy yourself an HTC?

Well they obviously fooled a lot of people because its sold a ****LOAD since its release and (I think) can be recognized as the first affordable netbook in the market, which sparked A LOT of other releases from brands like Dell, HP, Acer, etc.

<moLe>

Expert Member
Well they obviously fooled a lot of people because its sold a ****LOAD since its release and (I think) can be recognized as the first affordable netbook in the market, which sparked A LOT of other releases from brands like Dell, HP, Acer, etc.
Sure..suppose for some its awesome, but still can see the two asus engineers talking while developing it

engineer 1 " Oh my gosh we need to sell more laptops "
engineer 2 " I know what to do!, let's put minimum hardware in a machine, smack on linux
and put it all in a "ipod white" case then add a catchy brand name to it. "
engineer 1 "you are a genius, we then dont even have to put in a proper battery!..We'll make a killing

But alas they proved one thing I approve of, that Linux can be MORE user friendly (for basic usage) than windows

undesign

Executive Member
I have the 701. Pretty cool little piece of equipment - if used for what it was intended for. Notes/surfing etc. Great for traveling, late nights in front of tv etc. etc.

Battery sucks though. And linux, but solved that quickly. :D

I'm also interested in upgrading to 901 with new processor.

<moLe>

Expert Member
just one word...marketing.... it can be compared to the ipod, the ipod wasn't technically the best at the time. But good marketing and a simple interface and tada...u got a golden goose. But..in the same breath I own an ipod so suppose I cant judge people falling for that marketing scheme

DDV TECH

Expert Member
Rectron does not stock them yet, so unless someone else is importing you will have a hard time finding one, Rectron should have it in the next couple of weeks I hear.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
My friend got one of these notebooks with a CellC contract - don't know which one exactly, (the 1st ones with the 2gig HDD) I fiddled around with it and was pleased at how user friendly it was to use.
Firefox preloaded = :cool:

Convinced him to lend it to me for my weekend trip to Malta so that I can still stay in touch and check my gmail, use messenger etc.
Looking foward to playing around with it :)

DDV TECH

Expert Member
Yep, it's a tool, and you always need the right tool for the job. Don't get a EEE pc to play Oblivion. Netbooks are great if used correctly, like almost everything else in life.

hawker

Honorary Master
Yep, it's a tool, and you always need the right tool for the job. Don't get a EEE pc to play Oblivion. Netbooks are great if used correctly, like almost everything else in life.
Exactly! I have a desktop PC for gaming, and doing work and stuff, the netbook would just be for those times when I need something to take notes, check email and what not. I don't want a whole laptop computer.

I have looked at all the other options, ASUS, MSI, HP Mini, Acer Aspire One etc.

But I wasn't looking at buying one right away, just wanted to know if they were avaliable here in SA,

Daveogg

People don't get the idea of a netbook until you have a netbook. I have both a "proper" laptop and a EEE PC 900. Guess what, i recon since i got the asus my proper laptop has probably been booted twice in the last month, while the ee is basically on constantly. Each to their own, but i will never buy another "proper laptop". If i want to game or edit video i will use my desktop, otherwise the EE.

eitai2001

Expert Member
The 901 is now on the Rectron pricelist. Not sure about stock ... but if you interested, PM me and I'll do some digging.

eitai2001

Expert Member
Just got an e-mail special from Rectron for the EEE 904HD priced at 4349 ... so I'm assuming they have stock. Its a full on laptop though ... not a basic EEE ... Aside from the not so special 900Mhz ... its got 80GB and 1GB Ram and Windows XP Home Live (Not sure what the live part means).

squirrel

Expert Member
I don't think it's a very good time to buy a netbook. There is a lot of competition entering the market, plus Intel Atom Dualcore will be out very soon.

undesign

Executive Member
Hawker, did you manage to find a 901?

I'm also looking to upgrade from 701 to 901. Rectron does have the 904, but I'm not interested. Neither am I interested in paying normal price x 150% at Wantitall...