ASUS RT-AC1200G+ OpenVPN

Naztyb

Hi Guys

I just got in a Asus AC-1200G+. I want to set it up with NordVPN however Nord doesn't support PPTP or L2TP. I figured I need to use a 3rd party firmware however has anyone had experience with this. Has anyone found a working version of Open Source firmware that enables OpenVPN on one of these?

TIA,
Naz

newby_investor

Expert Member
Have you tried any of the usual open-source firmwares? Asus routers are usually pretty well-supported IIRC.

Fcon_Vpro

Might be easier/cheaper to switch to expressvpn or any other vpn provider that supports PPTP/L2TP.

EDIT: Also your current router doesnt have a very high spec in terms of memory and cpu, so performance on OPENVPN would be slow. You might get say 10Mbps on a 50Mbps connection.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
There are two of these routers that are very similarly named but are vastly different.

The one is the Mediatek-chipset unit that is quite useless and doesn't support any proper VPN out of the box nor aftermarket firmware.

I reckon you unfortunately got that one.

Naztyb

There are two of these routers that are very similarly named but are vastly different.

The one is the Mediatek-chipset unit that is quite useless and doesn't support any proper VPN out of the box nor aftermarket firmware.

The 1200G+ is meant to have the Broadcom chipset

Naztyb

Thanks will check on the others, just a pity I went with reviews and bought a 3 year upfront sub

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
The 1200G+ is meant to have the Broadcom chipset
You are indeed correct. I only just got home now to verify exactly which one I have.

I think AdvancedTomato supports that one then possibly.

Naztyb

You are indeed correct. I only just got home now to verify exactly which one I have.

I think AdvancedTomato supports that one then possibly.
Unfortunately not, looks like we'll just have to wait it out for DD-WRT which seems to be the only one working on it.

NordVPN's answer is to setup a second PC with 2 NICS and share the VPN connection off a PC, I'm trying to figure out how I need to change my network setup since I have 1 router and want multiple devices to connect to it.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Unfortunately not, looks like we'll just have to wait it out for DD-WRT which seems to be the only one working on it.

NordVPN's answer is to setup a second PC with 2 NICS and share the VPN connection off a PC, I'm trying to figure out how I need to change my network setup since I have 1 router and want multiple devices to connect to it.
So AFAIK, on NordVPN you can set up 6 different devices at once, so unless you have more devices than this you may not even need to worry about additional hardware. Unless you specifically *need* the router in order for a smart TV or something like that to work.

Alternatively, you needn't buy a whole new PC, something like a small Mikrotik or Ubiquiti router (both of which AFAIK support OpenVPN) may work:
https://pclinkshop.co.za/shop/network-storage/ubiquiti-edgerouter-x-5port/
https://pclinkshop.co.za/shop/network-storage/mikrotik-routerboard-hex-lite/

Disclaimer, not endorsing that particular shop, I just did a quick search to see what they might cost.

I've never used these routers with NordVPN specifically, so someone else may be able to comment, but basically what you'd do is put one of these between your Asus router and your fibre box, and then the Asus wouldn't even know about the VPN. A caveat is that while you've got the VPN active, your connection may be somewhat slower, I'm not sure whether these particular router models do VPN in hardware or software. YMMV.