Audi A3 oil consumption

Adenoid Hynkel

Expert Member
Little more than a year ago my wife's A3 has started drinking a lot more oil. It started off with topping the oil up 2-3 times between service intervals. Now literally we have to top up every 500-750km. During the first 4 years we never had to top it up, ever.

I've taken it to Audi 3 times in the past year to have them test the consumption. Each time they have told me everything is within spec.

Freeway plan expired end of June :/

There are no visible leaks. Anyone know what could cause this high consumption?

2011 model. 78k on the clock.

A3@MBB

It's a known defect on the VW/Audi/VAG engines.
Sounds like they played for time so that the plan expired and shifted the cost on your shoulders.

Good luck

Jewpacabra

Expert Member
My Golf did the same. About every 500km the Check Oil Level! light came on. No oil leaks and no smoke. It failed the oil consumption test and they repaced the cylinder head just within the 3 year warranty. Ditched the car a month later when the light came on again...

genetic

Honorary Master
An oil top-up every few 1000km is OK, but every few hundred km? Something wrong there, especially at that mileage.

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
That is not good at all, the car isn't even that old.

What A3 model is it e.g. 1.8TFSI? A colleague of mine just got himself a 2004 A3 2.0TDI with almost 500,000km on it, I nearly fainted when he told me, waiting to see the car when he gets to work on Monday. I get the feeling he'll be pouring oil in it every week.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Since when is oil usage OK?

The VW manual says that the engines can use up to a litre per 1000km. Anything more is considered 'abnormal'. But any oil usage is abnormal in my eyes.

@OP, is this the 1.4 tfsi model? They were known for drinking oil IIRC

kripstoe

Expert Member
It's a known defect on the VW/Audi/VAG engines.
Sounds like they played for time so that the plan expired and shifted the cost on your shoulders.

Good luck

What is a known defect?

kripstoe

Expert Member
Little more than a year ago my wife's A3 has started drinking a lot more oil. It started off with topping the oil up 2-3 times between service intervals. Now literally we have to top up every 500-750km. During the first 4 years we never had to top it up, ever.

I've taken it to Audi 3 times in the past year to have them test the consumption. Each time they have told me everything is within spec.

Freeway plan expired end of June :/

There are no visible leaks. Anyone know what could cause this high consumption?

2011 model. 78k on the clock.

Top up? How much? Do you check when hot/cold, according to the manual?

Adenoid Hynkel

Expert Member
Just spoke to my Audi dealership and they told me to get in contact with Audi sa. Apparently another client also had an oil consumption problem and Audi sa covered the costs even though the maintenance plan had expired.

ijacobs3

Expert Member
No smoke. No leaks

It's the 1.8T

my 1.8t would use use a bottle ( 500mm?) every 1000k's , audi done some or other oil test, and the engine was within spec,

if you bitch and moan enough , they usually put new rings / bearings / pistons in , but even after that, it was the same

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
So where does the oil go if it doesn't leak and the car does not smoke? Does it smoke so little you don't notice it?

Brawler

Honorary Master
Common problem.

Price you have to pay for cool points I'm afraid.