Avast Free Version 5 Released

ryu

Expert Member
is this only on download.com ? it's blocked from work :( if anyone has an alternate link\s please post them here or pm me thanks

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Nah thanks! Microsoft Security Essentials is currently better! :)

ryu

Expert Member
blocked as well, no worries if i don't get a working link then i'll just download it with my virgin sim

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Oooi! This was meant for us Avast users who want to get an early upgrade, before they push it through program updates :)

Lets leave the anti-virus wars out of it :D

so if there is a better product on the market, you don't want to know about it? OK, then. ;)

Barge

Giving Avast 5 a go on my work PC. Had to uncheck all the SSL connections in Outlook Express in order to check gmail, as Avast mail scanner creates the secure connections itself. It works... sort of... half the time the connections timeout. :-(

Also finding secure sites are much slower. Will have to play a bit more to confirm that.

Edit: timeouts etc. can be attributed to the SAT3 cable fault.
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=212884

Lets leave the anti-virus wars out of it :D

Agreed, let's keep this thread about people's experiences with Avast 5.

Last edited:

Barge

Actually I'd like to know about a better AV, but just how does one say Microsoft Security Essentials better than a 2-day-old, freshly revised antivirus? We need to discuss Avast 5's pro's and cons first and see what it can/can't do. I'd like to keep Avast if they improve the mail scanner.

EDIT: mail scanner issue was actually a SAT3 cable fault causing delays to international sites.

I understand MSE has very good virus removal abilities. Can one install it "dormantly" and only run it after a virus has been found?

Last edited:

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Actually I'd like to know about a better AV, but just how does one say Microsoft Security Essentials better than a 2-day-old, freshly revised antivirus? We need to discuss Avast 5's pro's and cons first and see what it can/can't do. I'd like to keep Avast if they improve the mail scanner.

I understand MSE has very good virus removal abilities. Can one install it "dormantly" and only run it after a virus has been found?

Yes, you can. First turn off Avast Real time monitoring. Then install MSSE. Then turn off MSSE real time monitoring and re-enable AVAST.

Butterfly900

I've downloaded Avast free antivirus version 5, but it keeps giving me an error "Unable to start the file system shield! Shield unreachable!"

What can I do to fix it???

CellBel

Expert Member
I've downloaded Avast free antivirus version 5, but it keeps giving me an error "Unable to start the file system shield! Shield unreachable!"

Same thing happened to me, and after uninstalling/installing 3 times i gave up.
Tried system restore to go back to AV 4.8 but got message "cannot be restored". Tried to re-install AV4.8, but the installer created an empty folder.
So this upgrade left me unprotected yesterday and the quickest solution to my problem was to intall Avira.

Tips on the Avast forum for this problem.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53738.0

Last edited:

Barge

Had the same error. Should have taken note of what I did... I think I:
rebooted into Safe Mode with networking.
went to Control Panel>Add Remove Programs
chose "Avast! Free Antivirus> Change/Remove
I can't remember if I first clicked "update" or "repair" but I ran both (probably repair first)
I rebooted and Avast ran fine.

EDIT:
Tips on the Avast forum for this problem.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53738.0

Seems the Safe Mode repair I did was correct, though the update one can probably do after rebooting.

Last edited:

Asha'man X

Expert Member
My colleague at work installed Avast 5 on a freshly out the box laptop with Windows 7 on it, and he told me that it was crashing a lot. We didn't have time to check this out on Friday, but if it turns out that it is unstable, I think I will install MSE until version 5 stabilises.