Avoid Cell C Fixed LTE product

Pixual

Expert Member
Their network can't cope with the demand. Not in Central Durban at least. The speeds are so slow in the evening for me that I can't even surf the net, let alone try to stream Netflix. :(

Scuderia47

Same in Pretoria. Every evening and weekend it drops right down to unusable speeds. Used to get 15mbps to 30mbps when I got the service a few months back. Now both international and local is completely buggered. So I agree, just avoid it.

lilggg

Expert Member
Thought it was just me, its pretty much unusable at night get around 10 - 40KB/s, only in the last month or two. No matter what site i download from it crawls, not only that but connection reset all the bloody time which is annoying when you paying R830 for 200gb and have to restart downloads all the time. Speedtest always has decent speed. Almost feels like throttling.

Hayat3

Their network can't cope with the demand. Not in Central Durban at least. The speeds are so slow in the evening for me that I can't even surf the net, let alone try to stream Netflix. :(
I experience the exact same problem.Just cancel.Their product and service is lousy.

RuhanSA079

I must say, I took a WebAfrica LTE (Cell C) deal not long ago, but the speeds is between 5-7 Mbits a second. Not very fast though, expected at least more than 15Mbits a second. I can stream Netflix at HD (1080p), sometimes the quality drops, as the internet speed drops. Chose to stream at 720p. Simple downloads is SLOW... Fibre seems cheaper, and more reliable. Planning to migrate to fibre. I agree with @Hayat3, service is lousy...

I was thinking of switching to CellC when my Rain 25+25GB becomes just 25GB in a couple of months, it's a lot cheaper to switch to CellC 50GB than to upgrade to a Rain 55GB package which may not even be available.

So the verdict is, not recommended?

Pixual

Expert Member
It's taken me over a minute just to get back to this thread tonight.

This is most definitely not worth R849 a month.

Genisys

Executive Member

Also had enough now, at 1Mbps its pointless and unusable, I find myself going back to ADSL every time I need to do something other than waiting on the internet.

epah

Expert Member
Having the same issues lately. Can’t stream anything online after 7pm but I can still watch YouTube on 480p max.

Pixual

Expert Member
I think I am going to have to go back to Rain as my primary and downgrade this as a failsafe. But then I think to myself, even at R220pm for 20GB it isn't worth it.

Seems that this slide in performance seems to coincide with the time Afrihost began selling the same deals.

MirageF1

Expert Member
Sorry you poor guinea pigs went through the ball ache first...was going to cancel my AH RAIN 25GB monthly and go with Cell C fixed LTE but seeing the feedback I think I'll stick around with them for a while longer....and R50 /GB RAIN when I'm out and about.

I've learnt in life, and esp with ISP's,never to rush where angels dare to tread however enticing it looks....

biometrics

Honorary Master
I think I am going to have to go back to Rain as my primary and downgrade this as a failsafe. But then I think to myself, even at R220pm for 20GB it isn't worth it.

Seems that this slide in performance seems to coincide with the time Afrihost began selling the same deals.
I'm using Rain mobile uncapped during the day. I work from home so that's great. And Cell C fixed LTE (20 GB) evenings. Yes it's crappy and I have had to switch to Rain a few times at R50/GB. But all in all I'm managing without ADSL/VDSL/Fibre and expect to be paying around R600 this month.

werny

Expert Member
So glad I saw this as I was about to order CellC Fixed LTE via Afrihost today... :eek:

Guess I'll stick with my Vodacom LTE 100GB and Rain LTE 110GB packages.