Axxess Business Uncapped (4meg) - normal?

Flidiot

Is this acceptable speed for a 4meg Business Uncapped?

Just thought I would try it out - but everything is slow as hell.

I know it is after hours now, but I would think that you would get more than about 50kbps downstream - even if it is outside of business hours.

Brand new account - ordered a couple hours ago.

Flidiot

I was also expecting around 2.8-3.5 on this account. I have a regular uncapped account from Axxess which runs well above 3 on the same line.

Was just curious to see the difference between the regular and business. I expected much better results from the business account, to be honest - quite disappointed.

Dan C

Honorary Master
It's very disappointing to say the least. I didn't know their business accounts will be throttled after hours... :(

Flidiot

I assumed they would be "more" throttled - but this is just a bit crazy IMO.

Figured at least basic services would still be prioritised - browsing even feels sluggish. Origin download is a bit slow - but that I semi-expected on the business account.

Maybe Axxess Lady can shed some light on this for me in the morning.

I have already put in a cancellation on the business account so at least if it doesn't perform as expected I won't be stuck with it for Jan. Quite happy with the regular uncapped, just thought the business would work better for me as I am quite a heavy user overall.

Zertop

Expert Member

Is this acceptable speed for a 4meg Business Uncapped?

Just thought I would try it out - but everything is slow as hell.

I know it is after hours now, but I would think that you would get more than about 50kbps downstream - even if it is outside of business hours.

Brand new account - ordered a couple hours ago.

[-]Something very wrong there? Contact Live chat on their site and show them that result - they'll help you out :)[/-]

Whoops :whistling: I read Afrihost :D

Zertop

Expert Member
I assumed they would be "more" throttled - but this is just a bit crazy IMO.

Figured at least basic services would still be prioritised - browsing even feels sluggish. Origin download is a bit slow - but that I semi-expected on the business account.

Maybe Axxess Lady can shed some light on this for me in the morning.

I have already put in a cancellation on the business account so at least if it doesn't perform as expected I won't be stuck with it for Jan. Quite happy with the regular uncapped, just thought the business would work better for me as I am quite a heavy user overall.

Even if you are shaped, speedtest.net is never shaped - so this isnt a shaping issue (I think).

Flidiot

[-]Something very wrong there? Contact Live chat on their site and show them that result - they'll help you out :)[/-]

Whoops :whistling: I read Afrihost :D

:erm:

Even if you are shaped, speedtest.net is never shaped - so this isnt a shaping issue (I think).

That is what I thought as well. After about 1am I got decent results again. Was getting about 320-360kbps down, which is normal. Speedtest was also looking good again. This morning is a little bit slower again but still an acceptable speed.

Torrents are basically non-existent now, which was expected considering business services should be prioritised at the moment. :)

Zertop

Expert Member
:erm:

That is what I thought as well. After about 1am I got decent results again. Was getting about 320-360kbps down, which is normal. Speedtest was also looking good again. This morning is a little bit slower again but still an acceptable speed.

Torrents are basically non-existent now, which was expected considering business services should be prioritised at the moment. :)

BTW, I would DEFNITELY go for an Afrihost Business 4Meg Bundle - its the same price as the Axxess bundle and it is guaranteed unshaped 24/7

Flidiot

BTW, I would DEFNITELY go for an Afrihost Business 4Meg Bundle - its the same price as the Axxess bundle and it is guaranteed unshaped 24/7

I will definitely consider it. Don't suppose they offer trials though?

I went with Axxess because it was just easier for me as I already have an account with them. Figured the experience would be the same since Axxess and Afrihost are "technically" speaking the same company.

Do you also have an afri business bundle? If so, what is your experience with it? Or rather, how do you (ab)use it? Torrents/NZB/Steam/Origin etc.....

Zertop

Expert Member
I will definitely consider it. Don't suppose they offer trials though?

I went with Axxess because it was just easier for me as I already have an account with them. Figured the experience would be the same since Axxess and Afrihost are "technically" speaking the same company.

Do you also have an afri business bundle? If so, what is your experience with it? Or rather, how do you (ab)use it? Torrents/NZB/Steam/Origin etc.....

I don't need it personally, as the home uncapped is fine for me down here in Cape Town. You can do everything on business without a worry in the world :D Axxess's business is shaped, but Afrihost is not :) I do NNTP, P2P, game downloads, everything you can imagine :p

Why don't you try a free 1Gb capped account - for life. It's the same as business by the way it is unshaped 24/7 - give it a try, you won't regret it :p

Flidiot

I don't need it personally, as the home uncapped is fine for me down here in Cape Town. You can do everything on business without a worry in the world :D Axxess's business is shaped, but Afrihost is not :) I do NNTP, P2P, game downloads, everything you can imagine :p

Why don't you try a free 1Gb capped account - for life. It's the same as business by the way it is unshaped 24/7 - give it a try, you won't regret it :p

Just got the 1GB account - verfied and everything in a matter of minutes.

Let's see how this goes :D

Flidiot

This is going to be a bit more complicated than I initially thought :erm:

From what I am understanding from the sales guys is that I cannot/shouldn't order the bundle till my line is migrated back to Telkom. Which I get, but now I can't get the data account unless I want to fork out a few bucks more than I bargained for :crying:

Maybe I get lucky and AfriMan finds this post and has some kind of magical suggestion for how I can make this work!

Zertop

Expert Member
This is going to be a bit more complicated than I initially thought :erm:

From what I am understanding from the sales guys is that I cannot/shouldn't order the bundle till my line is migrated back to Telkom. Which I get, but now I can't get the data account unless I want to fork out a few bucks more than I bargained for :crying:

Maybe I get lucky and AfriMan finds this post and has some kind of magical suggestion for how I can make this work!

Nope, you just sign up and they won't charge you for the line until it's migrated to them :) Your access details should then be available.

Flidiot

But then they would charge me for data only, won't they? Or would it be bundle price minus line? Any idea?

The people at sales said I should wait for the line to be migrated before ordering :wtf:

Zertop

Expert Member
But then they would charge me for data only, won't they? Or would it be bundle price minus line? Any idea?

The people at sales said I should wait for the line to be migrated before ordering :wtf:

Hmm... You would be charged pro rata for the data portion, and then you will start paying for the line once it is migrated (if I'm not mistaken)

Flidiot

Score - I got my line migrated back to Telkom... or at least it should be in the next couple of days. AND a friend sent me a referal link so I can get 50% off my first month (will sign up start of Jan) and then bundle :) I was going to sign up today but seems a bit redundant to have another uncapped account for December... Already got my normal one and the Axxess business uncapped that I was playing around with...

Pretty amped!

Dan C

Honorary Master
Talk about redundancy :D

Hope everything works well for you at Afrihost.. Been with them for years now, no serious problems.

Flidiot

Ja I felt a bit overwhelmed with choice with accounts for a bit :erm: been on my normal Axxess uncapped the last day or so though. Very dissappointed with the Axxess Business accounts, far from what I was expecting.