Bandwidth Manager - Solutions Please

J0nn0

Ok, here is the problem I'm hoping that someone can help me with: Big family - but a 1 Gig cap. So basically the one teenager finishes the cap within one week. Then there is a huge fight over who used what and played too much poker on their facebook. Is there software that can allocate bandwidth to each user? So if the dad wants 500mb and we then split the rest between each kid, is that possible? The current solution is a simple meter that can be monitored for total usage but is there a more user specific way?

Peon

Expert Member
YES WE CAN! old obama slogan.... * cough *

Ok, the simplest way I would advise is use IPcop and install the Addons update. After that you install Traffic Control and Report. After you've installed TRC you should be able to take it from there. Oh yes, the physical setup is adsl modem <----> IPCOP box <---->switch

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
Upgrade your account to get more Cap. If your with Telkom then it will be about R50 more to get 5Gb instead of 1Gb per month blended.

While IPCOP is 100% awesome, its not worth the effort with the current pricing of bandwidth.

davemc

Executive Member
The router is placed into Bridge-only mode.
Each family member buys their own cap from the ISP of their choosing.
Each person dials their own PPPOE (Dial-Up) connection to their own service provider and manages their own accounts.

IP Cop is OKAY until you need to allocate more bandwidth to a single person .. then it gets confused.

Peon

Expert Member
I simply just type a higher figure into the text box to increase limit. Also the logs daily provide figures and stats etc,etc..

J0nn0

Will IPcop work on Windows 7 and will it mess with my Zonealarm...?

bekdik

Honorary Master
The router is placed into Bridge-only mode.
Each family member buys their own cap from the ISP of their choosing.
Each person dials their own PPPOE (Dial-Up) connection to their own service provider and manages their own accounts.
QUOTE]

What Dave said. If you use africom it's simple to set up a bunch of accounts according to each ones needs.

J0nn0

This household is family but I am just a relative. I am currently landlineless using a 2Gig MTN through my cellphone contract. Im also busy convincing my parents to go from their 2Gig Mweb to uncapped. The problem with this stepdad on the 1Gig Telkom is that his solution is to simply ban the new kids from chowing his cap. So what im doing is trying to find a simple solution for them all. The poor 17 year old boy with 5 sisters is getting snitched out trying to facebook. So I understand the whole seperate accounts through ISP thing but its the convincing of the dad thats an issue unless I can come up with something that is simple and easy rather than convincing him to change or spend more money...

Peon

Expert Member
IPcop is installed on a computer box. Its not an app, its a embedded styled os

J0nn0

I dont have an old throw away that I can call an old linux throw away box. Unfortunately my old Turbo Pascal coding from High School doesnt help me these days. unless you stuck in a for do loop. I know somebody here has the skills, a simple Windows UI that can control internet usage is all im after. Instead of the whole Windows user accounts, we do it just for internet access. When kid no.1 logs on he is only allowed 100mb. There is no current user friendly GUI that currently does that. So lets build it... A family friendly per user system. I would buy i so lets do it... I gave up coding a long time ago, but graphics i can do...

ponder

Honorary Master
Just get a R99 uncapped Axxess voucher. It's not the best but it works for general surfing, email etc.

davemc

Executive Member
J0nn0, is this all on one computer, each kid having a different windows login on the same computer?

J0nn0

Just get a R99 uncapped Axxess voucher. It's not the best but it works for general surfing, email etc.

This sounds like a good plan, but will it work on my old Billion that came with an MWEB contract? I read somewhere that they used to lock them...

J0nn0

J0nn0, is this all on one computer, each kid having a different windows login on the same computer?

It is one computer with one logon. If each had his own logon would it be possible to seperate the internet?

J0nn0

in the real world of microsoft this wont affect much

yes or no would suffice, since basically is ipcop not a firewall itself? I dont run two antivirus' for the same reason i dont run two firewalls... or is that just me...?

Peon

Expert Member
ipcop is a whole operating system. ie: it takes over an entire box.