Barebones laptop/netbooks

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I'm looking to get a laptop or netbook I can run Linux on. Where is best to buy one these days that doesn't come with windows installed?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
That sucks cos I already have 8.1 and don't feel like paying for it if I'm not gonna use it :/

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Because I don't want it parked at my desk at home. I'd prefer a mobile 11-13" device to carry with me.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
For that I'd seriously consider going for a 2nd hand corporate laptop.

e.g. At my employer they're busy throwing out everything that isn't cutting edge i7 with SSD. Meaning they're dumping i5s with HDDs onto the market. Those get "refurbished" and sold for 5k instead of the 4k employees can buy them at.

If you're looking to buy commercially...the notebook company provides a decent baseline for your shopping investigations.

Also...for laptops...cutting corners on hardware and then rocking an SSD works surprisingly well on pure perceived experience.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
What type of budget are you looking at?

The apple ones are well known for wicked *nix compatibility...but obviously not cheap.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I'll look into refurbished. I haven't really considered my budget, but definitely not buying an "overpriced" Apple.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
ai bru....Post a thumb-sucked ZAR amount to give us an idea...it'll improve the quality of advice....are we talking 5k or 10k here?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
/thumb sucks R5k value

I don't need a beast. 4GB RAM and 200GB HDD should be sufficient.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
At the 5k level I'd be paying some serious attention to the carbonite forum...probably the best environment cost/risk/benefit wise at that price point.

10i

Expert Member
Let us know what you find. I am running Linux on and old netbook and would be interested to see what you get.

oldhat

Expert Member
I'm looking to get a laptop or netbook I can run Linux on. Where is best to buy one these days that doesn't come with windows installed?
Last time I checked, Sahara had a Toshiba notebook with no OS installed...

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
I'd choose an Intel-based notebook with Atheros LAN or WiFi, that's going to be easiest for compatibility. The Windows tax still remains, but there's not a huge demand for barebones notebooks these days in the consumer market. Systems based on Ivy Bridge and Haswell will far quite a bit better for performance and battery life, though if you're shopping second-hand, Sandy Bridge-based notebooks are also good buys. Anything based on Bay Trail is going to be a problem.

I'd also be hesitant with buying and installing Linux on a notebook with Nvidia Optimus switching, its generally a pain in the neck.

Last edited:
K

kingrob

/thumb sucks R5k value

I don't need a beast. 4GB RAM and 200GB HDD should be sufficient.
For R5000 you will get a Core i3 with Intel graphics, 4GB RAM and 500GB/750GB hard drive. That is good news, as Intel actually has decent Linux drivers.

Most/all laptops now come with UEFI boot and the Windows 8 serial number is on the notebook's motherboard, so doubt if you will find a lot of laptops without Windows.

Last, but most important, check on Ubuntu forums which laptops run 100% on their distros (normally the Dells), or whatever Linux distro you will be using.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Last, but most important, check on Ubuntu forums which laptops run 100% on their distros (normally the Dells), or whatever Linux distro you will be using.
Oooh, good idea. Thanks!

10i

Expert Member
Most/all laptops now come with UEFI boot and the Windows 8 serial number is on the notebook's motherboard.
What happens if I ever need to install Windows on the laptop, let's say I decide to sell it later and the buyer wants Windows on it?