Beach holiday with sour ending

schuits

Expert Member
Bit of a vent thread..sorry.

So I take my family down to a lovely beach house near Port Shepstone.
Holiday is going great and I'm just starting to unwind.

Then near 2am I sit up in bed cause I thought I hear a thud.
As I look over to my wifes side of the bed there I see a BM crouching beside her with his big white eyes staring at me.
So I shout at him, and my wife wakes up and chases the bugger downstairs. As he's running down the passage my daughter is there to see what the noise is about, as she gets thrown into the wall. Then the guy jumps out the window and him and a buddy waiting outside disappear into the night.

The perimeter beams weren't working at the house. But I thought with all the burglar guards we'd be fine.
Unfortunately the burglar bars were flimsy and the guys just cut through them and bent them out the way.
3 cellphones, 2 handbags and my DSLR gone. I think the most upsetting thing though is that instead of just taking what they could from the living area they actually snuck into everyone's bedroom.
I'm grateful they weren't violent or things could have been much worse.
But still...

Anyway, lesson learnt. Now my own house is definitely getting perimeter beams.

awvince

Expert Member
****, sorry dude.

Glad you guys are all safe and unharmed

Craig

Honorary Master
Bit of a vent thread..sorry.

So I take my family down to a lovely beach house near Port Shepstone.
Holiday is going great and I'm just starting to unwind.

Then near 2am I sit up in bed cause I thought I hear a thud.
As I look over to my wifes side of the bed there I see a BM crouching beside her with his big white eyes staring at me.
So I shout at him, and my wife wakes up and chases the bugger downstairs. As he's running down the passage my daughter is there to see what the noise is about, as she gets thrown into the wall. Then the guy jumps out the window and him and a buddy waiting outside disappear into the night.

The perimeter beams weren't working at the house. But I thought with all the burglar guards we'd be fine.
Unfortunately the burglar bars were flimsy and the guys just cut through them and bent them out the way.
3 cellphones, 2 handbags and my DSLR gone. I think the most upsetting thing though is that instead of just taking what they could from the living area they actually snuck into everyone's bedroom.
I'm grateful they weren't violent or things could have been much worse.
But still...

Anyway, lesson learnt. Now my own house is definitely getting perimeter beams.
That's a **** one, sorry to hear dude.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Fsck, so sorry for your family.

At this point, realise that things can get replaced and your family are safe. However, I'd talk to your wife and especially daughter to make sure they are psychologically okay and think about counselling for them, and maybe even you if you think you need it.

I've been through it with my daughter when she was 5 and they broke in through her bedroom window. It took some time to get her back in shape after it affected her negatively.

Best of luck.

flarkit

Executive Member
Even perimeter beams aren't the most effective, fence-hoppers simply stole one of ours from the wall.

PoppieChoffel

Expert Member
That's a supremely terrible end to a holiday, sorry man, glad you are all safe and unharmed though.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
The south coast has become dodgy, hopefully your insurance will cover your losses

OCP

Expert Member
That sucks man!

Glad you and you family are ok - material things are easy to replace; loved one's not so much...

This is why we always take our dogs with us when we go away; good luck sneaking past 4 dachshunds and a extremely alert border collie!
(yes - it's is always a challenge finding a place that allows dogs but so far we have always found somewhere)

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Super dodge down here, daily reports in 2019 where just 2 years back it was only once a week or two in this area. Glad you're ok though, sick that that is the 'light' in these stories :(

Pitbull

Verboten
Lol yeah. I was on the wrong side of the bed.
My wife has a habit of chasing bad people. Specially after one murdered her mom.

I've tried to tell her that it may not be in her best interest to do this, but she won't listen.
Hold on to that one tight!