Beginners Guide 1: Flashing Official Samsung Firmware

Thor

Honorary Master
Faniedry besides the three features what technical changes happened in this update?

Like is it only cosmetic or is there performance enhancement?

Faniedry besides the three features what technical changes happened in this update?

Like is it only cosmetic or is there performance enhancement?
not sure. why don't you try find out for us? :p

seems that samsung is a little vague, with not really revealing a change log as such.

ryu

Expert Member
uhm besides flashing to the original unbranded firmware what custom firmware would you guys recommend and where to you get them from.

Seathless

Hey, out of interest will this affect the quality of the signal and stuff? Considering its the UK version.

Hey, out of interest will this affect the quality of the signal and stuff? Considering its the UK version.
It shouldn't, but passed experience tells me that it can happen. But doesn't happen often. If it does happen though, just flash back your own countries firmware ;) no worries.

Thor

Honorary Master
Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Out of interest, have you noticed any battery improvements?
Hard to tell today since I have used this phone way more today than on average.

My normal usage is 16 hours before I charge it on around 30%

My brightness is a bit higher too today.

Attachments

upup

Executive Member
Ok Fanie, next job.

Sony
total different game plan there.

Seathless

So far I haven't noticed much for the update. in terms of changes, The fingerprint scanner is faster, but some things seem to be lagging a tad bit more.

Also noticed a weird thing where if the flash gets used, after its been used it will linger being slightly on, for a min or so. Only noticeable in the pitch dark.
And not to mention, Whatsapp doesn't show how many messages are unread on the icon anymore.

Either way, thanks Fanie. How easy would it be to flash back to Vodacoms firmware? Would we have to wait until 5.1.1 from vodacom is released, or can we flash back to 5.0.2? Thanks again.

So far I haven't noticed much for the update. in terms of changes, The fingerprint scanner is faster, but some things seem to be lagging a tad bit more.

Also noticed a weird thing where if the flash gets used, after its been used it will linger being slightly on, for a min or so. Only noticeable in the pitch dark.
And not to mention, Whatsapp doesn't show how many messages are unread on the icon anymore.

Either way, thanks Fanie. How easy would it be to flash back to Vodacoms firmware? Would we have to wait until 5.1.1 from vodacom is released, or can we flash back to 5.0.2? Thanks again.
Hi, you can flash back to the 5.0.2 by following the same process. When Vodacom release their version you can always download that and flash as well.

On your camera, maybe try delete it's app data and see if it still persists.

Thor

Honorary Master
Okey, got some feedback:

#1 Apart from he cosmetic changes, I don't see much else going on, battery life i will test over the next 4 days.

#2 Vodacom's BS is finally off my phone, when i restart samsung's logo and stuff displays yay!!

#3 A weird app came pre installed with the firmware, Peel Smart Remote, you cant uninstall it. Weird stuff.

#4 This is my only concern, every 2 hours my phone will vibrate and say Hangouts stopped working ( I don't even have hangouts ( well its disabled ), then the message will disappear and a few seconds after that the phone will randomly vibrate twice, it does this every 2 or so hours. ( phone is on mute ). This only happened this the firmware upgrade, but I'm looking into it.

All in all, not bad would be interesting too see if battery life has any improvements.

Okey, got some feedback:

#1 Apart from he cosmetic changes, I don't see much else going on, battery life i will test over the next 4 days.

#2 Vodacom's BS is finally off my phone, when i restart samsung's logo and stuff displays yay!!

#3 A weird app came pre installed with the firmware, Peel Smart Remote, you cant uninstall it. Weird stuff.

#4 This is my only concern, every 2 hours my phone will vibrate and say Hangouts stopped working ( I don't even have hangouts ( well its disabled ), then the message will disappear and a few seconds after that the phone will randomly vibrate twice, it does this every 2 or so hours. ( phone is on mute ). This only happened this the firmware upgrade, but I'm looking into it.

All in all, not bad would be interesting too see if battery life has any improvements.
#3 that's the remote app to control things like your TV via infra red. If you don't want it, look at Beginner Guide #2 ;)

#4 hmmmm, that's a strange one, did you disable in the application manager?

Thor

Honorary Master
#3 that's the remote app to control things like your TV via infra red. If you don't want it, look at Beginner Guide #2 ;)

#4 hmmmm, that's a strange one, did you disable in the application manager?
#3 I followed guide 2 :p

#4, yea funny one this, app is disabled and forced stop data cleared etc, but will see of it persists

Badprop_za

Expert Member
While trying to download Odin last night, I got a message that Chrome blocked the download. Could this by my anti-virus? I am using AVG btw.