Best ASDL package for Skype

Andrew5000

Hi,

I hope you could help me. No-one seems to have a good opinion about whether its better value for money to buy unshaped ADSL at a slower speed, or a faster, shaped speed.

We want to put in ADSL for home, occasionally dial-in for work, and to make Skype video calls.

From the three Mweb offers below, which is best?
1. MWEB All Inclusive: Data & ADSL line rental, Uncapped data, Unshaped connection, 384 kbps line at R629 p/m
2. MWEB All Inclusive: Data & ADSL line rental, Uncapped data, Shaped connection, 1024 kbps line at R588 p/m
3. MWEB All Inclusive: Data & ADSL line rental, 10 Gb Capped data, Shaped Connection, 4096 kbps line at R549 p/m

Sure, unshaped is faster for VOIP, but at only 384kbps, will it be faster than shaped 4096kbps?

Thanks,
Andrew

Xzib1t

Expert Member
In my opinion go for the uncapped connection @ 1024k, but the 10 Gig cap and 4096 may work as well (if not better), don't go 384k video calls may not be great then.

Edit: see if you cant get the 10 Gig cap unshaped or semi shaped from another ISP.

solo7

MWEB All Inclusive: Data & ADSL line rental, 10 Gb Capped data, Shaped Connection, 4096 kbps line at R549 p/m

Pada

Executive Member
If you don't already have ADSL at your home, then you can try the Telkom's 3 month trial for 1Mbps ADSL with 5GB international cap, where after you'll get another 20GB local cap.
You don't have to sign any contracts and you will get an ADSL modem for free.
The only amount that you'll pay for the first 3 months would be the telephone line rental of like R133.30 and the out of bundle data / call tariffs.

Wyzak

Expert Member
Get a prepaid account from Afrihost, or an unshaped account from almost any provider.

Peon

Expert Member
Andrew!

Seek life, Seek prosperity, Seek fulfillment, SEEK SATISFACTION!!!!

Do not seek Mweb.

Andrew5000

Thanks Pada - I'll go the Telkom route. Get set up for three months, then opt out. Excellent idea.

Peon: What is so bad about Mweb. My parents use them, and think that they are fantastic. Their service sounds much, much better than the service I get from iBurst...

Pada

Executive Member
Mweb performs much better in the Cape Town region and I'm really satisfied with my Mweb 1Mbps uncapped here in Stellenbosch.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
2. MWEB All Inclusive: Data & ADSL line rental, Uncapped data, Shaped connection, 1024 kbps line at R588 p/m

Upload of 1Mb/s line and 4Mb/s line is the same. So take the 1Mb/s uncapped.

Last edited:

KaMoS

Expert Member
I didn't know that, thought it was 256kbs upload for 1mbs line.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MyBroadband Android App

Pada

Executive Member
Yeah, the upload speed on 1Mbps ADSL connection is 512kbps, which is pretty awesome if you're hosting games.

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
A few things help with Skpye. Low latencies, good uplink speed, and ISP shaping.

Low latencies can be achieved by having everyone on the same network. I recommend SAIX (Telkom).
Good uplink needs a 10Mbps line or bonded lines.
ISP shaping is less when you're all on the same ISP, but if this can't be achieved, go for an unshaped or less shaped package. I haven't tried uncapped, but from what I hear, it's terrible. In order from worst to best: Cheap-ass uncapped-->Normal uncapped-->Business uncapped-->Normal Shaped-->Business shaped-->Everyone on the same ISP-->Ushaped.

Unless you can get a 10Mbps line, in which case go for that - it's got 1Mbps upload.

Andrew5000

So, if I understand correctly, Telkom doesn't offer the correct upload as you would normally expect on your standard ADSL connection?

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
So, if I understand correctly, Telkom doesn't offer the correct upload as you would normally expect on your standard ADSL connection?

What? No? Look here. That tells you what you can expect. 720p requires 1.5Mbps, so you're not going to get that. 1Mbps upload gives you a very good SD video, so that's what you're aiming for.

Andrew5000

Thanks everyone.
I've applied for the Telkom special. I'll use them for three months before moving to Afrihost.
We'll have to see what happens...

Pada

Executive Member
The Skype video all depends on the bitrate and resolution that you want to transmit. You'll need at least 1Mbps downstream + 512kbps upstream ADSL if you want to be able to transmit low quality videos.

bekdik

Honorary Master
What about Sype video?

Video will work, but it won't be TV quality. I normally run video for a short period and once we have all seen each other switch it off. If there is a need, i'll switch it on again.