Best DSTV Deal?

FaNIX

Expert Member
Hey!

I'm thinking of getting DSTV, because of the Olympics starting soon, and for other reasons :)

How much does it cost, anyone know of a good package where you get everything?Including Installation and decoder?

Thanks

andres101

Expert Member
The decoders are pretty cheap now, but if I were you, I would wait a few months. Multichoice will be releasing their HD-PVR soon (<6 months), which will cost about the same as the current PVR. I think that is why the decoders are so cheap!

You might not care much about HD now, but in a few years everything will have switched and you would be sitting with piece of (almost) useless hardware. (Apparently, you might be able to daisy-chain the current decoder to the HD decoder)

FaNIX

Expert Member
Decoders are cheap, i think R400. So i dont mind buying one now and throwing it again in 6 months time to get a HD one :)

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Decoders are cheap, i think R400. So i dont mind buying one now and throwing it again in 6 months time to get a HD one :)

Problem is though, it will be easier converting to HD from a PVR installation than a standard dual or single view installation.

PVR installations are different, the LNB's or something, I'm not that clued up ;)

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
DSTV sucks whichever way you look at it, but as already mentioned at least the hardware is cheaper now - but also for the reasons mentioned :(

Bring on some competition!

andres101

Expert Member
Problem is though, it will be easier converting to HD from a PVR installation than a standard dual or single view installation.

PVR installations are different, the LNB's or something, I'm not that clued up ;)

I think what you are referring to is the dual LNB which is required for the PVR (so that you can record two streams simultaneously). the new PVR will be able to record three, so you will probably have to replace the LNB unit again!

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I think what you are referring to is the dual LNB which is required for the PVR (so that you can record two streams simultaneously). the new PVR will be able to record three, so you will probably have to replace the LNB unit again!

Cool, thanks. I thought it would be easier to switch from PVR to HDPVR though, can't they just add an LNB? Probably not, I don't know how it works ;)

killadoob

Honorary Master
DSTV sucks whichever way you look at it, but as already mentioned at least the hardware is cheaper now - but also for the reasons mentioned :(

Bring on some competition!

hj lets shut down dstv and then what will we have man?

dstv does not suck

it has the best sports coverage you could possibly ask for
sure they repeat and have a few crappy channels but you only notice this if your a couch potato and dstv is not around to cater for ppl who watch dstv 12 hours a day :)

i love dstv so much
has all the sport i want to watch
alot of amazing channels

I LOVE YOU DSTV and gladly give you my 500 bucks a month

some ppl complain about the price of dstv yet in one night will blow that on alcohol or thats their cigi bill for a month

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
hj lets shut down dstv and then what will we have man?

dstv does not suck

it has the best sports coverage you could possibly ask for
sure they repeat and have a few crappy channels but you only notice this if your a couch potato and dstv is not around to cater for ppl who watch dstv 12 hours a day :)

i love dstv so much
has all the sport i want to watch
alot of amazing channels

I LOVE YOU DSTV and gladly give you my 500 bucks a month

some ppl complain about the price of dstv yet in one night will blow that on alcohol or thats their cigi bill for a month

I know you are a DSTV fanboi - we have had this debate before, man.

Check out one of hj2k_x's blogs for exactly why DSTV sucks and then get back to me ;)

killadoob

Honorary Master
linky plz :)

im not a fan boy i just think that its the best 500 bucks i spend a month

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Man, fsck the HD thing ...... so there's going to be a HD Olympics channel ... whoop, doesn't mean there will be anything else HD for a loooooong while knowing Monochoice. Go with an ordinary decoder or PVR for now. If you don't want to pay installation and all that, go with Teljoy ..... tis all free for R99 (normal decoder) and R250 (PVR) a month. Thats my choice from now on :D

killadoob

Honorary Master
naaa not really we all entitled to our opinions :)

i dont watch alot of dstv but i go to movies every week and watch alot of avi's so obviously dstv will have movies i have seen

i love dstv, discovery sport movies series enews and cartoons for my fiancee

nothing wrong with my 500 bucks a month going to dstv :)

i spend more than that on a Saturday night out drinking

i would pay that just for the sport

dstv has alot of variety if your not very picky

i love sony discovery history animal planet enews is cool when they got hot chicks on, i especially love E! when they have girls of the playboy mansion uncut :) and then of course the sport :)

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
i spend more than that on a Saturday night out drinking

i would pay that just for the sport

:eek: I remember you using those exact words before!

But yes, we are indeed entitled to our own opinions ;)

medicnick83

Paramedic
If I had a bigger TV, I'd get DSTV just for the sports channels, that's all I want ;)